Noises coming from my 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VanillaCracker, Oct 27, 2013.

1. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

So I got a 5S yesterday evening...I got a Space Grey 32GB model from a T-Mobile carrier store (Recently switched from AT&T - irrelevant). I actually drove 5 miles out to find the closest store with 32GB models in my area. I get the phone last night, and all is fine and dandy until I put the phone down for the first time. I notice a little jingle when I put it down. Not obvious but slight. I could just hear something was wrong. I was curious, so I picked up my phone and shook it. You can clearly hear an audible noise coming from the phone (in quiet setting i.e my house) when you shake it up and down. I traced it back right away to the Sleep/wake button wiggling around a bit. You can actually move it ever so slightly with your finger, and if you tap on it (not press it, just tap the metal (which is the button) you can hear the jingle easily.

So I called the store up, told them, and went back to the T-Mobile store this morning to get a new one. They open up another model, and it has the same noise. The same problem. The two women who were working with me said they could barely hear anything (it was noisy in the store, many people) but then a male customer service rep comes over and shakes it near his ear and says "oh wow, yeah that's annoying - it probably shouldn't be like that. You would think so anyway.". One of the customer service reps takes out her iPhone 5 (slate) and shakes it to confirm hers does it to, so I basically just admit that it must be a manufacturing problem with the phones...

I got home a little while ago and set up the new phone (the "new" new phone) and I notice the home button sounds a lot more clicky than the last one. It feels just the same (and yes, I know the difference between the home button's look and feel, and sound between the 5 and 5S). But this one sounds much more audible than the model I bought last evening even...it sounds like you can kinda hear the spring click.

I don't want to be that paranoid guy, but I'm definitely starting to get there. I have 13 days to ask for another exchange, but I just wanted to ask if anyone else had similar issues or problems with their phone? I can live with the shaking from the sleep wake, but the home button is already starting to annoy me...and it's only been an hour - it sounds cheap.

2. DanTSX macrumors regular

3. VanillaCracker, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Thanks for the help

/s

The phone feels great, I like it a lot...but I don't like the super clicky sound from the home button that is more audible on this one than the one I had yesterday, considering I paid $800 for the phone (with tax). I'd even forgive the annoying noise when I shake it (although it really shouldn't have loose components - even if it's just a button) but still.

4. DanTSX macrumors regular

Well, it is what it is. The problems you describe are seemingly typical based on feedback here and other sites. You can either live with it hoping it wears in, or return 5 or 6 phones consuming tens of productive hours like several people here that think they know better than apple.

Your other option is a 5c. Solid, silent, and similar.

I say keep the phone. Eventually, facial and hand oils will mix with dust and other assorted detritus and cause the rattles to go away. The sapphire crystal will likely wear against whatever it is catching on, causing smoother, click-free operation.

5. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I'd like to say that's going to happen, but it won't.

Thanks for your opinion though, I understand those are basically the only two options. So far from your post I have gathered information stating that other people have had this problem, so that reinforces the likelihood that I'll return. Again.

Just asked both my roommates and they both say it annoys them and that they'd replace it if they could. Niceee

6. DanTSX macrumors regular

Yup. Browse around here and the apple community forums. A lot of people are talking about it. It's ability to irritate depends on the level of expectations and patience of the owners. It would annoy me, but I could learn to ignore it. I think apple will eventually address the issue. The power and silent switch rattles are probably due to QC issues. The touch sensor is probably due to sapphire being a new material for apple/Foxcon/etc.

7. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It's obviously Quality Control, just like a bunch of other problems iPhone's have had. There was, apparently, the same rattling problem with the iPhone 5. The home button is a new configuration, but it is likely the same culprit of the Sleep/wake problem. Which is probably, and simply, rushed manufacturing. Mostly it's only the first batches that have these problems - as that is when they are trying to have 5-10 million phones ready before launch. I highly doubt it's the "sapphire crystal" that's causing it. It's just crude manufacturing - it sounds springy. That's not the sapphire crystal. It's poor construction of the home button altogether.

8. gCloud macrumors 6502a

The clicky home button is normal.

The loose sleep button that rattles is not normal, I had two identical spec'd 5s's on me last week, one had a sleep button that was firm and had no rattle, the other had loose rattling button, really annoying when driving. Also if you take a video the rattle from the sleep bottom is all over it. Unfortunately a lot of 5s's have this issue it's another lottery.
    This is not to be confused with the sound the camera lens makes which is normal.

9. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I know it is definitely not normal. I've already tested out a voice memo and all you really hear is the rattle. I'll bring that in to show the people when I make another replacement. Overall, I don't really take videos or voice memos so the rattle is something I will live with (if the next one also has it - which it will). But the home button is not normal. I got this phone yesterday (the first one) and the home button was normal. That means, I didn't notice anything abnormal about it. As soon as I got this one (a couple hours ago), I used it about 3-4 times and I immediately noticed something was different about it. This one clicks a lot louder, and it sounds tacky. I'm not okay with that. Sounds like the home button is made out of plastic (unlike the model I had yesterday), not glass. I'll replace it tomorrow

10. bwsteg macrumors 6502

It really is a lottery...

I've had 3 5s since launch. First had no sleep button rattle or home button loud click, returned it for a different color. 2nd had loud home button click but antenna was no good. 3rd and current one has sleep button rattle only. I'm in the same boat as you, should I exchange or not? Problem is, I don't want to get stuck with another 5s with more issues than my current one. Although I will say that the rattle button annoys me and I wonder what potential buyers will say when I try to sell in the future...

11. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah I know for sure when I sell my phone in a few years I'll be screwing someone over them. Because there sure isn't anything I can do about it. First thing I'm doing is asking if they're getting a new shipment within the next 12 days (when my return policy ends). After that, if they say no (they likely will) I am asking for the model I had yesterday....because I'm expecting all models to have the rattle but I really can't deal with the extra loud home button click. I feel like I'm screwing the store over because everytime I ask for a new device they can no longer sell the other one as new. But w.e I paid enough money for this phone and won't even think twice. If my next model has antenna issues...I swear to god. Lol

12. bwsteg macrumors 6502

From my experience the rattle is not as common as the loud home button click.

Also I would think that the home button click will normalize itself after normal wear and tear, whereas the rattle on the sleep button can't..

13. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

The rattle obviously will not, because it's a loose button. It's not gonna tighten up. The home button might...but I still think it's very likely it will not. I don't think it is the material...I think it is the construction. It doesn't feel like it needs to be broken in..it feels like it was put together poorly. Anyway that's my opinion. There is no way I'm taking a chance with the home button breaking in or not, I'd rather have the rattle.

This is lovely, deciding which flaw I'd rather have in my new $750 device.

Before people start getting on me about how it's the first wave of manufacturing and how I should have known and expected this. Well I've been upgrading phones every 2 years for the past....several years. And never had this problem with product launches. Apple's QC is sub-par; despite their great build construction...

14. LoloBond macrumors 6502

This rattle noise is 90% the camera lens, my 4s, 5, and now 5s had it, agree really annoying noise, especially for those that work ins really quite rooms. It used to drive me crazy but I guess I learned to live with it.

15. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I, we are fully aware of the camera lens sound. This is something else namely the sleep button being loose and rattling like a mutha.

See thread below
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5355229

Also few threads here on MR

16. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

@ then OP

I've had every iphone since the first one and can honestly tell you right now, that pretty much every model since the first has a little wiggle in the button and if I had to pick one that really didn't have it as bad I'd say it was the 3Gs...All the others have had some play/wiggle/noise when shook.

My 5s is fairly solid, no issues as far as I could see, and actually a little quieter when shook then my iphone 5....Truth be told, us iphone owners are just plain anal and notice everything.

I tried every iphone in the at&t store along with 2 reps personal iphone 5s models to see if all exhibited the same faint static fuzz on the line that I hear during a phone call....yes they all have slight fuzz...lol...we're all just a little nuts about our iphones.

17. AppleWes, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

My iPhone 5S has a very, very slight rattle form the sleep/wake button on top (if I shake the phone right next to my ear I can hear it). No worse than any other iPhones I've owned, and it works fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

18. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Well I'm not going to classify myself as "any iphone owner". I am a particular person in general. And it's why I'm pissed about this. I've taken a look at 5 different friend's iPhones. All of which were iPhone 4/4S' and 0 of them had rattles. Maybe that means they didn't get there's at launch. I am aware of the fuzz, it was a software issue that was addressed.

Unfortunately my noise is quite audible when shaken, and I don't appreciate it haha. I can hear it when it is nowhere near my ear, and I shake it. The only reason we had to bring it to the ear before is because it was a very busy store with dozens of people talking at once.

19. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Who cares? As long as I works good, right? If it breaks you go and get a replacement...in a year you sell it and get a new one anyway.

20. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Nope

----------

Also nope. Unless I really want to, but not likely. Will have it for 2-3 years 98% sure

21. bigboy2011 macrumors newbie

Holy .. I just saw this thread and just thought about shaking my phone for the fun of it and I have the same noise, it's comming from the power button. Should I go get a replacement?

22. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

If it still "jingles" after a couple days and it bothers you, exchange it. For some, this isn't a problem but for others, it can be vexatious

23. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

Agreed. Some of you folks really need to get a grip on your material obsessions. It is very unhealthy.

24. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

wow.
    never seen such sissies with first world problems.
    its a PHONE.
    worry about your smoking, spousal abuse, job status.
    THOSE are causes for concern, not this. You're embarrassing me.

25. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I don't have those. I keep my life pretty tight-knit. Having a non-jingling phone is part of that ;)

----------

If you care, definitely get it replaced.

----------

I appreciate your opinion, but I didn't ask for it.