[Nokia N900] The next real iphone killer!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boonlar, May 26, 2009.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

http://www.softsailor.com/news/3503-rumor-nokia-n900-tablet-with-maemo-5-to-be-released-soon.html

Nokia N900 Tablet With Maemo 5 To Be Released Soon

Finally a maemo phone! I want to see what apple will offer to compete with this beast.

BTW maemo is based on Debian GNU/Linux and draws much of its GUI, frameworks, and libraries from the GNOME project. It uses the Matchbox window manager, and the GTK-based Hildon as its GUI and application framework. So expect to be able to use linux apps on this.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Looks like an iPhone with a slide out keyboard.

4. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

it has voice capability so it's a phone too.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Sigh, whatever. Its a Nokia product, so I'm sure it'll cost around $600-up for it, which means a lot of people aren't going to buy it.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Huh? That looks nothing like a tablet and quite a bit like a phone.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Tablet is even in the name of the device.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You must work for Microsoft. CLEARLY plenty of phones with "superior" specs on paper have been released in the past 1.5 years as iPhone killers. None have managed due to their piss-poor software and user experience. This Nokia will be no different. When will companies learn it's not about specs on paper or having the shiniest gadget?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So they said with the N95, the Instinct, the Voyager, and the list could go on and on and on......

10. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

Because this device has anything to do with Microsoft right? Also the special thing about this device IS the software. Maemo is probably the most powerful and versatile mobile OS out there.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

WOW! The Microsoft comment was a 747 flying low right over your head and you totally missed it, at least the meaning of it!

Maemo the best mobile OS out there, nah, i can think of others. Not to mention since Nokia has touched it, it won't be good.

You know I would love for them to prove me wrong.

12. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

show me something better

13. torch2246 macrumors newbie

Its time to grow up

The current iPhone 3G! With its proven OS and with a UI that’s still ahead of the game, the iPhone is a better device. Don’t forget the added bonus of the App Store; “There’s an app for that”. I used a WinMo smartphone for a year. The first few months were fine. Although once I began to save documents, music, videos and game files to the device, it began to function at a slow crawl and crash every other day. Then I tried a Nokia smartphone which worked a little better, however it lacked many of the functions that make a smartphone practical and fun. My iPhone resolves theses issues with style. When you pull that unmistakable chrome lined 3.5” glass screen, slim and sleek device out of your pocket, people know its an iPhone. The many many cheap oversized, bulky plastic, kid’s toy looking smartphones are a thing of the past.

14. con500 macrumors regular

Thats a stunner. Great specs to boot and a 5 megapix camera with carl zies. If Nokia do anything well, its a cracking mobile camera

15. JDee macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you noticed - but Apple released something in 2007 called, um - the iPhone??

I have used and bought lots of what they call "smart phones".

The iPhone IMO is by far the best, and I'm not going to change my mind because it is a way ahead of any other phones.

There was nearly no touchscreens before the iPhone was announced - recently my sister was due for an upgrade? Guess what phones she could only get?? Touchscreens.

Stupid. The iPhones software will beat Nokia's any time, any day.

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
  16. bjquach macrumors 6502

iPhone may still win because of better marketing.

17. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Wow are you related to this guy??v:eek:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707398

18. partydorm macrumors newbie

another touch screen?? those so-called iPhone killers in the past now come and gone.

19. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

my car has voice capability.... doesn't make it a phone... it's a tablet

20. needthephone macrumors 6502a

21. garethjs macrumors 6502

who cares if its a tablet? it's still within size of a mobile phone.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

when will companies learn it's about the software and the user experience?

23. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

The NEXT real iPhone killer? What was the one before? Will there ever be an iPhone killer? No.

There will always be competing models from other manufacturers, which will do everything under the sun apart from stir your cup of tea after it's made it, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of iPhone owners have one because it's by Apple.

You could clone the iPhone's interface and app store with all those 35,000+ apps (but it'd be a hell of a job to be fair), put it on a Nokia and double everything in terms of its capabilities, and yet most current iPhone owners would still stick with their iPhones.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Pre is the only device that can be considered a iPhone killer, but killer is such a misleading word. Nothing is going to "kill" the iPhone. The Pre is going to be the first real competitor.

25. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

simply put.

many have tried to compete with Apple.
    and there products and price don't deliver.