Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple accessory maker Nomad today announced the upcoming launch of a new Stand Qi2 Magnetic Wireless Charger that works with the new Qi2 charging standard.

nomad-qi2-stand.jpg

Available in black or white, the Qi2 Stand features the same design as the prior Stand and Stand One chargers from Nomad, offering an upright charging base with a round magnetic charging pad.

The Qi2 Stand supports 15W charging on Qi2 compatible devices, which includes the iPhone 15 models and iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models that have iOS 17.2 or later installed.

Qi2 is the next-generation version of the Qi wireless charging standard. It incorporates the magnetic charging profile from MagSafe, and it supports faster 15W charging on compatible iPhone models. The current Qi standard is limited to 7.5W.

With Qi2 available, manufacturers do not have to license official MagSafe charging functionality from Apple, so we can expect to see more affordable 15W wireless charging options. Nomad's Stand will work with any MagSafe or Qi2-enabled device, and it comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable, but customers will need to supply a 20W+ USB-C power adapter.

Nomad plans to begin selling the Qi2 Stand in the coming weeks from the Nomad website, and customers can sign up to be notified when it becomes available.

Article Link: Nomad Announces $100 Qi2 Charging Stand

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I just had them refund my order because it got lost in shipping with FedEx. I really wanted that Racing Yellow iPhone 15 case too 😂

I wouldn’t buy anything directly from them. Stick to a retailer like BestBuy for their merchandise.

Lyrics23

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Paying $100 for a charging stand...and it doesn't include a power brick. Feels a lot like buying an airplane ticket and then having to pay for a carry on.
I like that it only includes the thing I care about, without bundling extras that would increase the price.

Power bricks are readily available everywhere, there’s a very good chance people already have one (or more), and it makes international distribution much simpler & less wasteful.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Qi2 version is $10 cheaper than the MagSafe version. Still expensive, but if you like Nomad's design and quality, saving a bit for essentially the same capabilities is a win.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I like that it only includes the thing I care about, without bundling extras that would increase the price.

Power bricks are readily available everywhere, there’s a very good chance people already have one (or more), and it makes international distribution much simpler & less wasteful.
I’m pretty sure the lack of a cable and charger isn’t being bemoaned here.

It’s the $100.

There’s nothing here to justify $100.

Qi2 ain’t all that.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Perfectly happy with my Apple MagSafe charging puck that I got refurbished for around $30 + a $15 stand that holds it just like this overpriced charger. I can also take the puck out of the stand and use it separately, so it's less than 1/2 the price and twice as versatile!

Reactions: JapanApple

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

Well, with the price for a 1 in 1 charger is $100, how much of an increase do you need?)))

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022

You're missing his point. This thing costs $100, that's the point he's getting across (which I agree with). If this thing were say $50 and didn't include the power brick, that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

BumpMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Im confused here, its listed on the Nomad website as 'MagSafe Compatible' not actual 'MFi MagSafe'. The 'MagSafe Compatible' versions of their stands charge at 7.5W, where the 'MFi Magsafe' versions charge at the 15W that official MagSafe can handle. The specs from Nomad read:

• Magsafe Compatible wireless charger
• Up to 15W for Qi2 devices (including iPhone 15)
• Works with any Magsafe device

So what about my iPhone 12 Pro Max thats not Qi2? 7.5W?

torkles

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
i find it really frustrating that their stand was all sold out when it was on sale for 77 bucks but as soon as the sale ended they have them in stock again. 100 or 110 for a wireless charger is ridiculous. magsafe’s biggest flaw is how expensive that MFI tag is. nomad keeping qi2 at that same price point is wild.

Reactions: ralph_sws

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Im confused here, its listed on the Nomad website as 'MagSafe Compatible' not actual 'MFi MagSafe'. The 'MagSafe Compatible' versions of their stands charge at 7.5W, where the 'MFi Magsafe' versions charge at the 15W that official MagSafe can handle. The specs from Nomad read:

• Magsafe Compatible wireless charger
• Up to 15W for Qi2 devices (including iPhone 15)
• Works with any Magsafe device

So what about my iPhone 12 Pro Max thats not Qi2? 7.5W?
We don’t know if past iPhones get the full Qi2 speed yet, it’s possible the 14, 13, and 12 only get 7.5 watts standard Qi on Qi2, technically compatible but not ideal.
Edit: Well the article says as much (at least for 13 and 14), but I haven’t seen it proven, just the conjecture that Qi2 is similar enough that it works with Magsafe.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
I use MagSafe all the time, but I also just use plain ol' cables. Less energy loss in the form of heat and charges faster. Also much cheaper than one of these things.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Just curious, but how is FedEx losing it Nomad’s fault?
Because they chose the shipper and they didn’t want to refund it without me having to jump through hoops with FedEx. That’s poor customer service (from both them and FedEx). My order was placed on December 4th, was shipped on the 5th, was supposed to be delivered to me by the 7th. Instead, it sat at a FedEx location forever. I contacted Nomad, they said to contact FedEx, otherwise they would do nothing. I contacted FedEx, they opened a case. I waited three days and they closed the case because they couldn’t get in touch with anyone at the shipping center it was last received at. Nomad just refunded me for merchandise I never received over two weeks later.

I’ve never had that happen with Best Buy or Amazon or whatever. If you don’t receive it and there’s no movement, they’ll ship you another item out asap.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
It's a good thing that Apple chose to share MagSafe with the wider world. Qi2 certified chargers should raise the quality above the dodgy "MagSafe compatible" devices we currently see. I have a MagSafe compatible car charger- while the magnets are good, when in use for navigation the battery only gains 1% of battery per hour on charge 😅

Reactions: torkles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.