Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
They didn't respond within the 24 hours that they committed to. I just e-mailed Chloe and Brian (presuming Brian's their president...or at least an executive) and asked them to either refund me or explain how they're going to hide the cable.

Stay tuned....

stand-for-apple-watch

http://www.hellonomad.com/products/stand-for-apple-watch

How the hide the cable is on the website, it runs down the backside along the curve in a groove .

I'm looking forward to mine.

----------

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/6721/t/10/assets/Stand-back_2048x2048.jpg

Stand-back_2048x2048.jpg

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

http://www.hellonomad.com/products/stand-for-apple-watch

How the hide the cable is on the website, it runs down the backside along the curve in a groove .

I'm looking forward to mine.

----------

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/6721/t/10/assets/Stand-back_2048x2048.jpg

Unfortunately, they changed the design somewhat:

7df701e3-1cdb-4d29-81ed-5b94394cbd56.png

The cable is now visible in the top. I told them this was a significant change from the pictures they have on their website and challenged them how they were going to fix it...or they could cancel my order.

They chose to cancel my order, rather than explain themselves.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010

The cable is now visible in the top. I told them this was a significant change from the pictures they have on their website and challenged them how they were going to fix it...or they could cancel my order.

Other stands fully hide it, I don't get why they can't! It is really disappointing.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Other stands fully hide it, I don't get why they can't! It is really disappointing.

Can't agree more. This was, by far (IMHO), the most attractive stand for the watch on the market. Haven't found anything I like nearly as much.

I may suck it up and buy it anyways. Spigen aren't going to offer theirs in black (and, my guess, if I painted theirs black it'll start to chip in a year or two).

We'll see. ETA on my SB SS with LB isn't until July, so there's time to decide.

Edit: When some of you DO get these in, I'd love to see pics of what an actual Nomad stand looks like (not the renderings they posted on their web page).

Last edited:

johnkim

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Here are the actual pictures of the stand they sent with the latest e-mail update:

oZggpzL.png

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH

No they didn't change it, this is a pic of an unfinished one.

Fester1952

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No they didn't change it, this is a pic of an unfinished one.

Well they have, this is the pic on their website.
They also state on their website, "And its machined non-visible cable routing channel sits discretely on its backside, creating a stealthy passageway for your Apple Watch charging cable"
It certainly isn't discreet anymore!

Attachments

• Stand-straight-SLIT_2048x2048.jpg
    Stand-straight-SLIT_2048x2048.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 126

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I don't see how you can hide that first bit of cable without bending it over too hard and possibly causing damage to the charger itself.

I think we've been bamboozled.

You ordered an accessory designed by a company that had little information about the host product beyond photos. More power to them for selling so many orders based on vapor, but what did you really expect?

Fester1952

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
You ordered an accessory designed by a company that had little information about the host product beyond photos. More power to them for selling so many orders based on vapor, but what did you really expect?

Well maybe they should not have said on their website, ""And its machined non-visible cable routing channel sits discretely on its backside, creating a stealthy passageway for your Apple Watch charging cable". Clearly then they have misrepresented their product and more appropriately should have said that the final design is dependant on the release of the Apple charging cable.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Well maybe they should not have said on their website, ""And its machined non-visible cable routing channel sits discretely on its backside, creating a stealthy passageway for your Apple Watch charging cable". Clearly then they have misrepresented their product and more appropriately should have said that the final design is dependant on the release of the Apple charging cable.

When you look on page 3, there's a post by TwinCitiesJHawk that had the e-mail that Nomad sent, explaining why they made the change. I wonder if they shouldn't have just done two stands. One for sport with the wire exposed, one for the other two with the wire hidden.

(you have to wonder why they can't hide the wire, when others do though)

A shame. I ordered a Spigen one and I'll paint it black.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Just sent them a message to cancel my order as well. There's other designs out there already that will do just fine.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

No they didn't... there is a channel for the chord to run on the back side. The fact that you can see a bit of the chord beside the charging puck doesn't change that fact.

Fester1952

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No they didn't... there is a channel for the chord to run on the back side. The fact that you can see a bit of the chord beside the charging puck doesn't change that fact.

LOL .. well maybe they should have said "creating a stealthy passageway for your Apple Watch charging cable, EXCEPT on the top near the puck where it really can be seen so is not discreet"!
I'm sorry, but for the price I just think it looks ugly now.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
15 seconds of thought and they could have used a mill properly and hidden all of the cable in that bent piece of flat they call a stand.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
15 seconds of thought and they could have used a mill properly and hidden all of the cable in that bent piece of flat they call a stand.

Only thing I can think of why they did it this way was that they had the first batch pretty much complete, then got samples of the two charging pucks. So, they went with a quick fix.

It may have ate into their margin too much to fill the charging puck bay to bring it back down so the cord was hidden.

Doing it from scratch before the channel was carved? Yeah, I don't see how they couldn't have made that work. Other vendors have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.