Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I only use Apple's USB-C cable to charge my MBP, because it's the one I trust the most to provide power. I also use only their USB-C to Lightning cables for iOS devices.

However, recently I decided to buy an USB-C cable for my Wacom Intuos Pro (it uses USB-C, but the supplied cable is USB-C to USB-A). I didn't choose Apple, I bought some cheaper Choetech cable after seeing ok reviews on Amazon. It woorks good, however, I dare not charge the MBP with it, only connect my Intuos.

I also got a shorter USB-C cable for external drives that supports USB-3 speeds, from AUKEY. Again, never heard of either of these companies, just read a few Amazon reviews. Also, I am aware that Benson Leung is doing all those reviews, but I found out about him only after I purchased mine.

With that said - what is your opinion on USB-C cables not made by Apple? I've heard horror stories of computers getting destroyed by bad USB-C cables, however, I believe this was due to wrong amperage or something (no idea, really) when connected to a wall charger.

My question is - is it safe to use any cable just to connect devices like tablets, mice, keyboards, etc. - or do you have to be careful there as well?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
While the situation is certainly better than it was in terms of dangerous USB-C cables, it is still a bit of a minefield out there.

I also don't think it is worth the risk when there are some proven safe cables out there at very reasonable prices:

If you want a charging cable, you can't beat Apple's one - I don't think there are any other certified, 2 metre, 100W USB-C charging cables around, and if there are, they can't be much cheaper than the $19 Apple charges.

If you want a data cable, Belkin provides a 1 metre, 10 Gbps cable for a similar price, which Apple sells in its stores.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
While the situation is certainly better than it was in terms of dangerous USB-C cables, it is still a bit of a minefield out there.

I also don't think it is worth the risk when there are some proven safe cables out there at very reasonable prices:

If you want a charging cable, you can't beat Apple's one - I don't think there are any other certified, 2 metre, 100W USB-C charging cables around, and if there are, they can't be much cheaper than the $19 Apple charges.

If you want a data cable, Belkin provides a 1 metre, 10 Gbps cable for a similar price, which Apple sells in its stores.

I agree, Apple's cable is the best. But this one seems to work fine. After all, there are a bunch of positive reviews for Choetech cables out there - I checked.

Apple's USB-C cable is $30 in my country, BTW, and this one was $18 - so I cheaped out, I guess, since connecting the Intuos Pro to the MBP will be its only use. I don't think there's a risk there, do you think? Thanks for the reply.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I agree, but these are all for charging. I was more wondering is there any danger to use a random cable as a standard usb data cable - to connect a peripheral like the Intuos, or keyboard or mouse.
[doublepost=1494485940][/doublepost]Just learned something new - the cable that ruined Benson Leung Chromebook was USB-A to USB-C. These can be problematic, but USB-C to USB-C are generally always safe. Here's a quote from him:

"C to C cables do not have the same problem because they are required to be straight pass through and do not have a pullup built into the cable. If the other end of the cable is Type-C, then as long as you plug into a 3A charger (like the one you get with Nexus phones), you will get fast charging in a safe way."

So, if you're using straight usb-c to usb-c cable, it should - at least - be safe for you expensive computer :)

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
This is the guide I use.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

Apple's USB-C cable is the best long cable for charging.

That's a really excellent table! Good job on Nathan K. for testing the cables and compiling the data. Bookmarked!

I wonder if he's heard of StarTech.com. Their products are usually top quality, and they have a list of different Thunderbolt 3 cables with various lengths and Thunderbolt revisions:

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cables/thunderbolt-3-cables/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.