Non-Devs, would you run beta 1 if you could?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by astral125, Jun 2, 2014.

?

Would you run beta 1 on your non-dev phone if you could?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2014.
  1. Yes, I would deal with the bugs

80 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Nope, I would wait for a more stable or GM release

76 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. N/A - I'm a dev or this somehow doesn't apply to me

19 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. astral125 macrumors 6502

There is always a lot of excitement when beta 1 hits for a new version of iOS. The advice is always the same; Don't run on your daily driver/Non-development phone.

That being said, would you run beta 1 on your personal/daily use iPhone if it were an open and free beta?

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

With this one? Not a chance. Play with it on some non-critical device. Seems much more stable on an iPad for instance.

3. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It's tempting this time around, but no. I'll wait until a new iPod touch is released and I can upgrade to new hardware and software at the same time.

I will try the OS X public beta once that is released though.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Seems extremely stable on my Air so I'm throwing it on my 5C, which is my daily driver personal phone. Will likely be much better than iOS 7 as the framework has been laid and this update is more a building on the base type update.

I'll let you know how it works in about 10 minutes.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Famous last words :D

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have a iPhone 4 so I can't get it on my phone no matter what. But if I could I would but not until beta 2

7. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Sure! I'm pretty excited for quick reply! I hope they add more toggles for Control Centre on 8.1 tho.

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ehh, I did it with iOS 7 and it was fine. Everything is backed up and I can move back if I need to.

Worst possible thing happens, my 5C goes kaput. Which will be my backup in about 3months anyhow. I could move to my Lumia 520 for the time being or simple throw my personal number onto my work 5S in iMessage and FT and at least get iMessages from 95% of my contacts.

I've got options....lol

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have it installed on my retina mini....its working pretty good but I'm scared to put it on my phone.....my phone is too critical for work....but it is tempting!

10. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I downloaded iOS 8 on my main iPhone. However I stayed on the FW for a few hours and downgraded back to iOS 7. I'll be upgrading down the road, however I'll stick with iOS 7 for now.

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Not as big of a deal as iOS 7 would put it on a non-critical device only. And even then there's no urgency.

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ya - if my personal and work phones were 1 iPhone, I probably wouldn't be going to the beta.....

Or I'd have a 5C as a backup anyhow and would still be going with the beta :p:D

13. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I also did it with iOS7 and it was fine. I also installed iOS8 on my iPad Air and it’s fine. However it was a miserable disaster on my iPhone 5. It lasted about 1 hour before I bit the bullet and DFU downgraded it to 7.1.1.

14. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Probably not, In most cases I have waited for the second release and it has normally been stable enough to run, it's just the 3rd party apps that have problems. I did iOS 7 early and even though the OS itself was pretty stable, there were a few apps I used all the time I just couldn't use for a month or so. I don't think I will do it this time around, but I always end up caving and just installing it.:cool:

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hmm should I not have high hopes that it will run well on my 5 come Fall? That's not encouraging.

I don't want to pay for a dev account, and I don't have any backup devices. I'm fine waiting to see how it does with the 5 and the 1st gen mini.

I'm debating signing up for the OS X public beta and playing around on my 2009 MBP, but I want to try out the new features that might not be included.

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

No, you should not base any of your expectation on beta bug reports on this forum. It is simply for developers to trade experiences.

As one who has been through this a million times you can trust the final version to be just fine.

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Well, maybe I'll be headed back soon - we'll see.

18. Jjaro, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

Non-Devs, would you run beta 1 if you could?

I ran it on my iPad Air for a few hours. Not stable enough for me, personally! I'll wait until a later beta version or just hold out until it goes Gold. I ran iOS 7 from Beta one on my iPhone and iPad 3, and looking back now don't know how I was able to stand it! Lol

----------

Oh, and maybe it was mentioned, but my Fiancé said that she was able to both see and listen to the audio messages I sent her, and she's on 7.1.1. I'm glad they made it backwards compatible, but I would have expected that, too! (This was when I was using 8 on my previously mentioned iPad Air).

19. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I'm not a dev and I installed it on both my iPad and iPhone and I really wasn't expcecting to keep it on my phone for long and it lasted about 10 hours. Constant reprings and app crashes and very unstable just like I was expecting. I'll keep it on my iPad just because I don't use it a lot. If you're installing it on a daily driver, please don't. Betas aren't meant for that.

20. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

Any non developers installed iOS 8? Does it allow you to install or just tell you that you aren't registered?

21. thislsmadness macrumors member

I don't use my iPad for work so I'm gonna toss it on that and check it out. I'm gonna wait until beta 2 or 3 though.

22. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Just registered as an Apple Developer... To test out iOS 8. :D
    No, seriously, I'd also want to program some apps. With swift that seems easier than ever and I already have some Objective-C knowledge.

23. TheGritmaster macrumors newbie

Honestly, I haven't seen any bugs that make my device unstable. I'm using my daily driver and it's been flawless so far. Sure there's some UI stuff, but none of the apps I have are broken.

24. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

25. haglersp macrumors newbie

Using my daily driver with it. Seems more stable than iOS 7 beta 1 or 2