Noob Mac Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopperHarley, May 12, 2011.

1. TopperHarley macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just got my first ever Mac (2011 13' MBP), so far I really like it. First of all, when I open the Finder, there is a little logo of a house (it's kind of like the "my computer" window of a PC I assume). It's in between the desktop and places icons. When I initialized my Mac at initial start-up, it was named after my email account. Now I can't seem to rename it. Is there a way to change the name of this icon?

Also, does anyone use Frostwire on a Mac for music download? Is it safe?

Thanks.

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

support the artist

No, I actually pay for my music.

Define safe.

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

changing your home folder name is a little tricky. I would not mess with it if you are not experienced with logging into the root account and making changes to advanced account settings

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

what do you mean by safe, and downloading music from frostwire is ILLEGAL... probably wouldn't promote that you do that around here, not going to go over well with members.

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Not going to go over well with responsible members, unfortunately the younger demographic feel entitled to STEAL.

I don't work for free, and don't expect anyone else to.

I pay for mine :)

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Correction. Downloading music from Frostwire is LEGAL. Downloading copyrighted material is ILLEGAL. It's an important distinction to make if you transfer material legally using P2P.

Yeah. I know most people use it illegally :(

As for safe, well that seems to be a topic way beyond this forum, and I think by asking the question you pretty much have your answer. It's never safe to download anything from an unknown source, even with a Mac. Play at your own risk.

By the way, welcome to the Mac universe! I hope you enjoy it :)

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yeah I know that, but what legal music is the OP going to be downloading via p2p? Everyone who uses frostwire is looking to get free (copyrighted) music.

+1, support the music industry or help be a part of its decline. If you wouldn't walk into best buy to steal a cd, don't do it at home.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

I disagree. P2P is a good way for people to promote their own stuff (music, books, programs, etc.). We don't know what everyone is doing on frostwire, and I don't think we should assume that the original poster intends to engage in criminal activity.

Yep. I totally agree. It's difficult to complain when a song only costs a dollar!

10. TopperHarley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I haven't used a P2P software in years, I used to use Limewire but stopped using it over 3 years ago. I think I'll just stick to iTunes I guess, I don't want to download the "wrong" thing or do anything illegal.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

Glad we could help. Both iTunes and Amazon offer music without DRM, and your iTunes software can convert the Amazon MP4 music to AAC format, so I recommend looking at both locations for the best deal.

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Fair, but I also disagree....

There are far better avenues to get music from artists looking to self promote (won't go into books, programs, etc. as it wasn't included in the original post, and is irrelevant to this argument). I don't know of any artists who will willingly put their material out on limewire, frostwire, etc. I also don't know of anyone who uses these programs for "legal" downloads. Not to say there aren't some, but the VAST majority of users use p2p for illegal downloads.

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think we are in agreement that most users probably do perform illegal downloads. And, we both agree that these are activities that ought to be discouraged in this forum.

However, there are legal downloads (frostwire has a link on their front page to some), so even it is window dressing, I hesitate to label everyone who uses the service as a criminal before hearing them out. I don't want to hairsplit. I just want to make sure we maintain the distinction between the service and its use.

Still, I think we can all agree that it is in everyone's best interest to pay for music in order to support artists, and I am glad to see the original poster will be making his contribution. Fortunately, iTunes is a pretty nice piece of software, so he ought to be able to enjoy music on his macbook.

14. mac00l macrumors 6502

Mac users, and discussing about keeping old strategies.... P2P won't kill music industry, P2P WILL kill " plastic" " fake" "created" music, AKA pop.

Indie music is quite popular right now, and those bands (the killers, arcade fire, etc..) get their money from tours.

I'm not supporting frostwire, nor any software of that sort, I believe that 1 dollar per song is a fair price to pay, nonetheless I also believe that the music industry killed itself. Napster and followers just ignited something inevitable, and it was the industry fault for not using the new technology in their advantage, instead trying so hard to confront it, that a computer company (apple) made the most successful music store in history, taking most of the cake...

Conclusion:
    1.- Downloading copyrighted material is illegal, pay for the stuff you want
    2.- Napster and such didn't kill music industry, that's a myth. Incapacity from music CEOs is what killed them.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

The cake is a lie.

LOL. I couldn't resist. Portal has been on my mind today. By the way, how did you know my setup was Osaka?

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yep :D

not denying that there are legal uses of p2p programs, but in my experience most users of these services are using them for illegal downloads not legal!

17. mac00l macrumors 6502

1.- The little building in the left, obviously japanese architecture
    2.- The tree color. Haven't seen that particular green in many places, and whenever I see a tree with that color, I think of Osaka. In Osaka a greener tree, is actually a little yellowish.

It was a coincidence I think....

18. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yup. That sums it up, unfortunately.

19. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

hi i own mi first macbook pro two one question its good to charge the macbook pro daily or not ? right now i have 40 % of battery is good to put in charge or not ?

20. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I would cycle the battery from the lowest charge you can comfortable get. If it gets to 40 at the end of the day, leave it there until you use it the next day and it goes down to under 10%, then charge it fully

21. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The Killers are not indie. They signed with Island Def Jam off of their original indie label before they had a major release. They have had several charted hits, which means even after recoupment they have made a pretty penny from distribution.

Believe me, from experience, there is no money in "Indie" touring of original music. It is hard to break even on a non-promoted tour.

Want to make a lot of money just performing? Hit it really big. Or learn to play cello and get hired for weddings and corporate events. Or form an inventive tribute band and be willing to do the same schtick for 10-15 years.

That gets old. If I ever have to play Brown Eyed Girl again, I swear I will give it all up...

22. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

when i get down to 10 % then i put to charge it its this a good method to get battery really good ?

23. palpatine macrumors 68040

good job with so few clues. japan was easy (the window construction and desk screams japanese office chic to me), but i'd never have guessed osaka myself. i'll have to pay more attention to the trees :)

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

IMO if something like a TV show is not available in your country through any legal venues, if you pirate it the company that made it isn't losing any money, because if you didn't pirate it: You wouldn't be able to buy it anyway.

I buy things legally if I can, but if it isn't released in my country I'll happily pirate it. After all, it won't be losing the company any money.

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm not pointing this at you specifically, but I HATE it when anyone under 20 is classed as the 'younger demographic' as are just assumed that they pirate their music.

I have paid for every single song I've downloaded, be it from iTunes, 7Digital or Amazon. I'm 13. Why should these artists not be paid for what they do? If I liked a track and pirated it, that wouldn't benefit me as then they'd be bankrupt and not produce anymore songs!!

Sorry. /rant.