Normal Battery Life People

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cookiejuice, Jul 3, 2007.

1. cookiejuice macrumors member

Hey guys, I know there are several battery issue threads but I can't find the people who's battery life is doing well. I am currently at around 60% of battery with only 2 hours 3 minutes of usage and 3 hours standby.....I have basically just used wifi safari for my usage...a 2 minute phone call and 2 texts.....I have charged it 4 nights now, one which i let bleed all the way to empty. I am just worried because the enhgadget review gave some serious usage time that I don't feel i am living up too lol. Its not an issue, just want to see what you guys are getting. Just want to make sure I don't have to take a trip to apple. Thanks.

2. macdsean macrumors newbie

While I have not really scrutinized the battery life scientifically, mine seems to be pretty good.

As for your experience, I believe Apple said to expect 5 hours of battery life with internet usage. Which would match your 2+ hours of usage with 60% remaining. Sounds like you are getting what is to be expected.

3. finiteyoda macrumors member

I've been getting about 1-2 days usage before needing to recharge. This includes a little movie watching/safari browsing, and hours of iPod listening (and maybe an hour or so of talking).

Movies seem to drain it the fastest, I'm sure if you just did that straight, you could drain it in 4-6 hours.

BTW: there's a handy feature in Settings -> Usage, which shows Usage time since last full charge. Mine is at 1 day, 15 hours with 60% charge, but it did sit on the dock for maybe a few hours during that duration.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I just checked mine and it has 1 hour 49 minutes usage and 7 hours 40 minutes standby since last full charge.

I have only a sliver of non green on my battery bar right now.

5. minimac23 macrumors newbie

I've done some experiments in the few days that I've had my iPhone as far as the battery life is concerned and I noticed the my battery drained very fast yesterday. The reason for the quick drain is the setting for checking email. Yesterday the EDGE network experienced some outage for a few hours and since my iPhone automatically checked every 30 minutes, it was using up quite a bit of power. I've switched to manually check, which means that it won't check my gmail account for email until I press the email button, and my battery is doing way good today. After 7 hours of showing off my phone to everyone at work and watching an Office Episode on the bus, my battery is still nearly full... maybe a little more than 1/8 gone. It is kicking butt! Try setting your email settings to manual and see what it does to your battery life.

Edit: My stats in the usage screen in the settings for today are 3hrs 12mins of usage and 7hrs 20 minutes of standby.

6. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for the info. 2 hours and 24 minutes and 5 hours of standby and i have 50% battery left..... I thinking its messesd up. I do have email check every 15 minutes and have been literally exclusively in my home today and browsing via wifi. Still, you guys have impressive battery compared to mine. hmmmmmm

7. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

This is concerning that checking email that frequently would use that much battery. I'll have to try setting mine to manual too.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

20 :48 minutes standby 3:28 minutes useage about 50% left

9. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

Alright, another update if any one cares. I just hit 3:53 minutes of usage and 9:30 hours of standby wand power is now between 20-15 % left. Once again, I don't know if this is normal. Yesterday I got to about 4:30 minutes of usage and about 15 hours of standby with about 30% left. Don't know if its normal or not. But neither seem as good as what has been posted so far. hmmmm

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I got 20 hours out of battery before it shutdown by itself. This was with 10+, 5 min or less phone calls. Several text messages, at least 1-2 hours of web surfing, and showing many of its features off. Email as well. All over edge.

11. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

Do you know what your usage time by the end of it?

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

20 hours and 2 min Usage

1 day, 22 hours standby

time since last full charge

could you interpret that for me...

does that mean I used my iPhone for 20 hours...holy ****, I know I didnt.

13. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

You probably didnt charge it all the way. The only way it resets is if you charge it all the way. I havent done that yet, I go off one charge till it dies. Also, I really havent been using ipod, i wonder if you guys are using audio and buffing the usage times. That and me basically using my usage time for surfing maybe the issue, not the battery itself.

14. DonWilson macrumors member

I went from 8am this morning to around 9pm tonight, surfing a lot of the day, and it was around 45% full.

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

then it must take forever to charge. I had it on for 8 hours while i slept.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I think the USB port is pretty slow.

Try it with the wall charger.

Today I am at about 70%-75% with 3 hours of usage and 13 hours 38 minutes of stand by.

I was up early this morning started using my iphone at 6:00am about and it is almost 11:00pm now.

Most of my day has been on wifi, only a little bit on edge. I have not used the iPod stuff at all. Lots of web browsing, lots of e-mail, stock stuff, some youtube viewing, phone calls etc.

17. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

by what you guys are posting it really looks like iam getting half of normal battery life when comparing to you guys......i mean that is huge. I have yet to get over 5 hours usage ..... in settings.... I may have to take it to apple on thursday and see what they can do. damn this sucks....

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

How do you guys know how much battery it has, when it seems to only show the icon? It doesn't say a percentage, correct? Thanks

19. chiefillini macrumors regular

This is about what I got. I know that for me before I even started to really use it that I did a full charge.
    powerbook911 - As far as the ability to tell how much is left it appears to be all a guess since in this version of the software they actually don't give you a percent. So my guess and everyones else's could be off.

20. appleii2mac macrumors regular

Well I've used the wall charger every time, and I still haven't been able to charge it fully. The green battery icon while it's plugged in seems to indicate about 80% charge. The Usage thing seems to indicate that it has never been fully charged.

21. Offspring992 macrumors member

how much usage time do you guys think you get on average? I can usually go around 6-8 hours of usage and around 14-17 hours of standby time. I usually use the iPod the most, with safari behind that and testing throughout the day. I almost always have to charge it every night. I also have the email settings to check manually and i never have bluetooth on. Are any of you guys getting similar usage time me?

22. DonWilson macrumors member

Never use a USB port to charge the iPhone. The wall charger can charge it around 5 times faster because the though-put on USB's power is so limited.

23. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

Doe your phone become warm while using wifi? I think when I am on wifi is where battery is going to hell. When I am on wifi using safari for more than 5 minutes it gets quite warm and the battery starts draining relatively fast. Anyone else feel the warmth? Maybe my wifi is the issue.

24. 925 macrumors newbie

I'm not feeling good about battery life at all!

From Apple's website:
    Talk time: Up to 8 hours
    Standby time: Up to 250 hours
    Internet use: Up to 6 hours
    Video playback: Up to 7 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 24 hours

From my today: I fully charged my iPhone last night with the supplied wall charger.

4:12AM Best guess at when the full charge finished after being placed on the charger before midnight, while in airplane mode

7:38AM I pulled the phone off the charger for the first time today and I turned airplane mode off
    Usage and standby said 3:26 and 3:26, assumedly my full charge ended at 4:12AM indicating a 4+ hour charge cycle time

12:48PM 20% Battery life left message came on

12:56PM 15% Battery life left message came on

01:18PM 10% Battery life left message came on

02:06PM iPhone died, approximately 6:26 after phone was lifted from the charger and airplane mode was turned on
    Usage said 8:06, and Standby said 9:54

Standby appears to reflect the total minutes since the iPhone thinks it last received a full charge (regardless of other factors).

Usage appears to reflect the amount of time the iPhone was not showing a black display.

I was in my home Wi-Fi area all 8 clock hours.
    I used one minute of phone time (1 brief call). I had no Bluetooth usage.
    I used email on a number of different email accounts with 15 minute cycles and forced receives and IMAP received messages.
    I read blogs a fair amount of the time (not really intensive communicating activities) with minor additional browsing.

Conclusions: Steve Jobs would say 8:06 of usage is GREAT! But in real life, I am afraid that without mid-day battery charging (often impossible for me), that my phone will not even last a full business day (with lunch) before it dies, and it certainly won't run reliably into the evening for an evening out. It will have to be recharged EVERY night, with some cradle charging during the day to make even that work.

Secondary conclusion: When traveling, I often use my phone continuously while sitting in an airport and on the plane before take-off. With two regular layovers or long layovers, I might actually use all of my battery life before landing at home, and then have no juice left to call my ride or otherwise make my presence known. That is without using my phone as an iPod.

Tertiary conclusion: If you are a regular iPod listener as well as using your iPhone for every day use, you will likely use up your battery in less than eight hours - a full business day every time. If you don't sit at a desk plugged in for two plus hours, you will be sorely disappointed every day when your phone stops working due to your earlier tune listening.

What conclusions do you draw from my usage and limited battery life?

25. cookiejuice thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the lengthy report on your battery, I appreciate it. From what I see you and I have basically the same usage time. A common denominator is that we are both using safari on wifi for our usage time. Maybe that is where all our battery is coming from. I'll give an update on todays battery life layer tonight. It is looking a little better today, I put mail on manual today. Nothing conclusive right now but only time will tell. By the way, I love typing all this on my iPhone, isn't bad at all.