Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Most people don't buy a laptop based solely on keyboard... Besides, I doubt this exam has that much writing; it's not like English or History or something.

The bar exam, for the most part is nothing but writing. My state has six written essays and the 'Multistate Performance Test', which is another written portion. It clocks in at a total of 15 hours... and I used almost every single minute of it.

There is also the MBE, which is a multiple choice portion that's used in some states, but usually a significant portion of your score comes from the written portion (60%+).

Once again, showing that lawyers are completely out of touch with the technology. If someone wanted to cheat, and figured out a way to use the touchbar to do it, they could also do it without the touchbar. They have a whole computer to work with. The touchbar is probably the least of their concerns.

Eh, we don't control the software. There are two vendors (SofTest and Exam4) last time I checked - they lock your computer down, restrict access, encrypt your answers, all kinds of good stuff. It took each vendor FOREVER to release a Mac-compatible version of each program - I was only able to use it late into my law school experience (for reference, became a lawyer in 2010). The software developers (again, not lawyers) probably just don't know how to lock the Touch Bar down.

I'm not really sure how it can be used for cheating, but then I don't really know what the exam procedure is in the first place.

Most bar exams are locked down affairs. You can only bring in certain approved objects, the list of which is very limited - I couldn't even bring in my wallet. Everything's inspected - including pens and pencils. It's really ridiculous for a profession to talks so much about ethics.

When taking it on computer, you have to use some really crappy word processing software that completely locks down your computer. As I said in the above response, it's probably the developer not understanding how to lock down the Touch Bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69Mustang

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
When I took it in 2009, we could not use a computer. Options were hand write or bring an old-fashioned typewriter. I hand wrote, and 8 hours straight of handwriting is no picnic.

Reactions: 5105973

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Just updated the post with more info. MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar is entirely banned for the 2017 Bar Exam in California. Can't even use it after disabling the app-specific stuff.

That's insane, and discriminatory. These IT people don't even understand the Touch Bar -- end users can't just load up cheat notes in it. Only the active app can even insert content into it.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
wow, they can't even use it in CA? What's the point of buying a MBP if you're a law student?
Well, there's the three years of classes for which you can use the MBP. This is only pertaining to the bar exam--the exam to get a law license after completing the 3 years of school.

And I'd be willing to bet this is only an issue for the February 2017 exams (bar exam is only given in February and July every year). The exam software people just haven't had time to account for the touch bar. As stated above, the software locks out everything except for a basic word processing environment and then establishes an uplink to the servers to upload the exam answers at the end before relinquishing control of the computer.

Reactions: 69Mustang

diamonddnice

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Pre: 33.827907,-118.38572
Just updated the post with more info. MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar is entirely banned for the 2017 Bar Exam in California. Can't even use it after disabling the app-specific stuff.

I took the California bar (and passed ;)) in 1999. I'm actually STUNNED that any state at all lets you bring in a laptop period. When i took the California bar. You were allowed to bring in pencils and ink pens nothing more. I think they gave you a blank notepad for notes and outlining. There were no computers. the test was three days in 6 3 hour each parts. Days 1 and 3 where entirely hand written essay. Day 2, was multiple choice scantron. But, once you were in the room for each part you were not allowed to leave the room. In fact. I have asthma, I had an asthma attack, was struggling to breathe but left my inhaler in my bag outside. You weren't allowed to leave to go to your bag once the timer started. I had a choice leave and fail or stay and struggle to breathe. I had two hours left in the 3 hour portion. There's no way I'd pass with what I'd completed in only one hour and chose to stay and wheezed for two hours but got through.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Gonna be taking the CA Bar in a couple years, guess I'm definitely not buying a tbMBP now.
[doublepost=1485839514][/doublepost]
people use macbooks in exams? is this just a US thing? maybe i'm just old

Law School/Bar are all computerized exams now. You have to type dozens of pages. My law school exams are 4000-5000 words and you have 3 hours. No way you can hand write that.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
This was my experience as well. I think the software was called "Examsoft," it was terrible, but was essentially a basic OS/app combo that provided only enough functionality to permit typing an answer and uploading it to their server. It sure as hell didn't have drivers for Touch Bar, lol.

When I was in law school, Examsoft was also required if you wanted to use a computer during normal exams (i.e., not just the Bar exam) and it only worked on Windows. Many of us bought Windows computers specifically for that reason. I wrote my Bar exam with a pen (or twenty) to avoid any potential technical issues.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
When I was in law school, Examsoft was also required if you wanted to use a computer during normal exams (i.e., not just the Bar exam) and it only worked on Windows. Many of us bought Windows computers specifically for that reason. I wrote my Bar exam with a pen (or twenty) to avoid any potential technical issues.

Luckily Soft-test (ExamSoft) is now macOS compatible. My GF and I both use Macs. So far haven't had any issues with it!

Reactions: JetLaw

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lol worst Apple laptop ever released

What does the Touch Bar have to contribute to the worst Apple laptop "Ever." It's a simple feature and this makes it the worst laptop ever? I think it's clear you have never used MacBook Pro, let alone the Touch Bar, to dissuade against the MacBook based off one feature from a Law School perspective. Absurd.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
I usually don't comment on the main threads, but I've got to say, WHAT?

Their instructions for disabling the TouchBar's functionality is ridiculous! A) System Preferences isn't necessarily on the Dock of all Macs. Be better to say "The Apple menu", since it's always accessible from there, and "Double-click"? They've got to be kidding! I get the thing with disabling it, but their instructions are weird
[doublepost=1485817297][/doublepost]

What if you're just smart enough to download a tool from the internet that someone else made for cheating? That's a possibility

A lot of computer-illiterate people double-click on links on the web too. I think this says something about the caliber of person who designed this rule.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Instructions like this from "IT Department Experts" really annoy me. First, they call it the "Mac Book Pro", with a space between "Mac" and "Book". Second, they instruct you to open System Preferences from the Dock, but how many people leave that icon in the Dock? Choosing from the Apple menu would be far more consistent. And finally, they say to "double-click Keyboard"... ugh!

You may find that most IT experts have little training in Mac OS or hardware , its mostly windows based. You understood the instruction right ??

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
From my experience taking the bar exam, the software they have you install reboots the computer into a sort of safe-mode where the OS loads the bare minimum to run the bar exam software, and nothing else. Then after you submit the exam, the computer reboots again as usual.

During the pseudo-safe mode of taking the bar exam, I noticed none of the text replacements I had set up in the settings worked (I had common law school stuff like pp=plaintiff, dd=defendant, ss=section symbol, etc.). Other typical OS X shortcuts and commands did not work either.

My guess is the touchbar doesn't actually pose any real threat to cheat yet, but their software vendor hasn't figured out all the ins and outs yet, and they are taking this step out of caution.

Not sure I would like something with that much control, to run on my main machine!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure I would like something with that much control, to run on my main machine!
I agree. I did a clean format/reinstall after I found out I passed (well, a few days later when the hangover wore off).

At the time, the choice is easy: install their software to type the essays, or write the essays by hand. I type at least twice as fast as I write, maybe more.

Reactions: ScottButler

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Most people don't buy a laptop based solely on keyboard... Besides, I doubt this exam has that much writing; it's not like English or History or something.

Ummmmm, all it is is writing (except for the multistate portion). Nice try though. In South Carolina it is two full days of writing until they tell you to stop.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I don't get this so they think the TB can be hacked and the answers to the exam will show up on the TB?

This will be a way to force Apple to make an on off switch for the TB, will they comply?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.