Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The North Dakota Senate today voted no on a new bill that would have paved the way for third-party app store options by preventing Apple from requiring developers to use its App Store and in-app purchase methods for apps.

appstore.jpg

According to the North Dakota government website, the SB2333 bill failed 11 to 36, which is good news for Apple.

Apple Chief Privacy Engineer Erik Neuenschwander last week spoke out against the bill, saying that it "threatens to destroy the iPhone as you know it" by requiring changes that would "undermine the privacy, security, safety, and performance" of the ‌iPhone‌.

North Dakota Senator Kyle Davison, who introduced the bill, said that it was designed to "level the playing field" for app developers in North Dakota and shield customers from "devastating, monopolistic fees imposed by big tech companies" like Apple and Google.

The bill would have prevented Apple from requiring a developer to use a digital application distribution platform as the exclusive mode of distributing a digital product, and it would have kept the company from requiring developers to use in-app purchases as the exclusive mode of accepting payment from a user.

Lobbyist Lacee Byork Anderson, who was funded by the Coalition for App Fairness drafted the initial legislation. The Coalition for App Fairness is a collaborative organization created by companies like Epic Games, Spotify, Basecamp and Tile to highlight developer issues with Apple.

It was backed by Basecamp co-founder David Heinemeier Hansson, who was embroiled in a legal fight with Apple over email app "HEY" last year. Heinemeier Hansson praised the bill and said that it gave him hope that "tech monopolies aren't going to rule the world forever."

Article Link: North Dakota Senate Shoots Down App Store Bill Apple Said Would 'Destroy the iPhone'

Last edited:

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
So the truth comes out! This was written by non-other than an Epic lobbyist. Not some small town, free-enterprise loving North Dakotan developer that they'd have you believe. C'mon Epic, you could have least introduced this bill in CA or MA where you'd at least have a chance to succeed. Just glad this one failed since it was introduced for all the wrong reasons.

Wow. Just wow.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Sorry, what? DHH has no clue.

Without taking a cut, the App Store wouldn't exist for you to upload your app to. And we'll all be running around with crummy "web apps", reducing your revenue and shutting down your company because no one wants to use that on a phone.

Apple made you DHH, you self entitled greedy developer.

acalegari

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
The app store mostly gives assurances of quality, security and consistency. It is a sefeguard against dodgy apps infecting the apple ecosystem.

However, bills like that are mostly an apple self inflicted problem where apple tries to squeeze as much money it can out of that. The 30% margin, even for large corps is somewhat abusive and many times it is to the detriment of the consumers. If apple had more comprehensive tiering on their blanket massive slice, less people/oganisations would complain and the ecosystem would more likely be preserved for the benefit of everyone.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
lobbyism at its best? wow, initially written by Epic ... well Epic, you might have not done yourself a favor in your case against Apple ...

Reactions: KeithBN

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just want iOS to be as open as macOS. I don’t understand why so many people think it’s ok that iOS is locked down but that locking down macOS to the same degree would be catastrophic.

It’s not a perfect system, but I maintain that the current App Store model is crucial for maintaining the vitality and viability of the App Store, which is in itself a net positive for the mass majority of iOS users.

I don’t think that locking down macOS would be catastrophic. I hear some arguments that an open platform is necessary to developing new software, and that’s a compromise I am willing to make. That the heaviness of the Mac is what allows iOS to be as lightweight as it is.

The two can absolutely exist in a symbiotic relationship of sorts.

Epic and their ilk will find themselves on the wrong side of history.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
North Dakota Senator Kyle Davison, who introduced the bill, said that it was designed... shield customers from "devastating, monopolistic fees imposed by big tech companies" like Apple and Google.

So it was going to be a free App Store that just magically operated with no income? Or were the developers just going to be paying fees to someone else? It might not have been 30%, but the developers would need to pay something to someone.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
So it was going to be a free App Store that just magically operated with no income? Or were the developers just going to be paying fees to someone else? It might not have been 30%, but the developers would need to pay something to someone.
I’d go further and question this state senator what exactly he meant by devastating monopolistic fees that big tech companies impose? If this is indeed about the 30% cut that Apple takes (for running the App Store, collecting payment, marketing, etc.), shouldn’t he be questioning why Target takes 65+% for products they sell, since that seems like more of an issue given they sell basic living products like food, clothes and medicine, not just apps? I mean, they might as well just go after the entire free market economy itself and impose restrictions on what a company can make profitability-wise. I’m sure that would really go over well in ND. Might be a good way of eliminating ND entirely and having it become part of SD, as it should be anyway.

The stupidity of so many in politics today, or their praying on the stupidity of their constituents, is disgusting.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I just want iOS to be as open as macOS. I don’t understand why so many people think it’s ok that iOS is locked down but that locking down macOS to the same degree would be catastrophic.

the issue is that although I don’t have a problem with iOS being open it has to be done perfectly, securely, safety and in the matter of time. Of course Apple should do this in a simplified manner, the problem is Epic stopping so low via the courts to force Apple to do so which would kill the iPhone in the manner of security and privacy and force epic games store into iOS, Epic is a stupid company which forgets that iOS isn’t its own platform and they like breaking the rules

but going back to this case, thank heavens ND voted no, **** you Epic Games for again stopping so desperately low and telling everyone else how low of a company they are....

All because of one thing.. epic games store on iOS (and money) of course

DONT MESS WITH APPLE AGAIN

macsound1

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I think that's the exact point. If Apple owns two platforms, why make them duplicative? Why not differentiate them?

Personally, I appreciate the simplicity of iOS precisely because it isn't like macOS, and vice versa. I'm not trying to attach a 8TB harddrive to my iPad to store and serve media to my household and I don't run a single app in full screen on my 27" iMac.

Also, iPads are primary computing devices for many people who don't understand the depth and complexity of a desktop computer. For those people and use cases where you need something dead simple, the iPhone and iPad have blossomed. Tacking on complexity, too many choices and a macOS feature-list destroys the appeal all together.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68010
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
It does NOT change the fact that Apple has a Monopoly & a Complete & Total Stranglehold on App Discovery !

Ask yourself, why does the Today tab of Apple's App Store App NOT offer filters (i,e., switches) for filtering Off Game Apps AND/OR Apple Arcade ?

So that they can continue to Control the Narrative !

Both Users & App Devs will benefit significantly when that changes !

The ONLY alternative I know of, is for Apple to offer a 2nd App Store, one focused on Adults.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.