Norwegian plans reviled (FREE DATA PLAN added!!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Netcom Norway updated their website today with the prices for the iPhone plans: https://netcom.no/iphone.html?fane=abonnement

_Skjermbilde 1.jpg
    [click for larger]

The small at NOK 399 (US$ 79) pr month includes 100 minutes of calls, 100 SMS and (ridiciously low) 100MB of data (free Wifi doesn't even remotely make up for that low cap).

The medium at NOK 699 (US$ 138) per month with 250/250/250 or the large at a whooping NOK 1099 (US$217) per month at 1000/1000/1000 is just insane.

Netcom, where's the free data, you st...***mumble*** f...***mumble***? Haven't you figured out that that is the whole point about the iPhone...?!? Have you lost any grip with reality?!? Here you had the chance to sell these things like hot cakes and then you present these plans?!?

The only good thing I can say is that the prices of the phones themselves are quite nice.

The Swedish plans were quite similar, but I guess their prices will probably be around half of these... :rolleyes:

So, I'm afraid this means no iPhone for me... :( :( :(

100 MB data per month... get real... *** still cannot get over that one ***

2. alFR macrumors 68020

That does suck. I'm really surprised that any carriers are offering iPhone plans without a decent data bundle: even O2, who give us a pretty decent data deal in the UK IMHO, offer a fairly crap data deal in the Republic of Ireland. I have no idea how that makes business sense. :confused:

3. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Wow, that's bad. As you said, the whole point of the iPhone is its Internet capabilities. With the iPhone, 100MB can be easily finished in a few days if not less.

4. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

Swedish prices are 2/3 of the Norwegian prices.

I won't buy an iPhone either. I would've bought one if the price was about 20% less and I had 2x free minutes and unlimited data. But as everyone knows, TeliaSonera sucks. They do offer me 10 times more SMSes than I would ever use though!

5. sara123456 macrumors member

And I was thinking we got ripped off in the uk that is really bad

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'll have to think about this. 100MB isn't a lot, is it? And it's NOK 10,- ($2) for every MB beyond what you get included with the plan which is absolutely ludicrous.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes. That said, Netcom did have a cap on how much you could be charged for data traffic with their "ordinary" plans, where - no matter how much data you used (probably within some limits) - you could only be charged NOK 20 per day for data traffic.

Of course, if that still holds true (and there is such a cap at SEK 9 per day for the Swedish iPhone plans) then that might, just might, "save" the iPhone for me...

Still NOK 7078 (US$ 1400) for the 16GB including the cost of that first year is quite a lot...

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Just opening two online newspapers (db.no and aftenposten.no) brought me up to more than 4 MB of traffic. If you just surf normally you'll blast through those 100MB in no time. I admit the online newspapers are bandwidth hogs with all those ads, but it might be a good thing that the iPhone doesn't have Flash. Maybe that cuts down a lot of the traffic.

I might still get an 8GB, but only because I really need a new phone... NOK 6190 for the phone and one year. Hmm. My current phone probably only cost me around 1800 per year with everything. *cries*

9. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, that was one of the main points in the mail I sent Netcom:

(Made a small error, which I fixed in the quote above. Hopefully they still understand what I meant. ;))

Their answer will decide if I'm going for the iPhone or not... and either way, it seems less likely I'll bother buying me out of my current contract (NOK 750) to get it at the launch... I'll probably wait until January...if they can change my mind and convince me the iPhone is worth it with those insane plans...

10. Lau Guest

If it's a really bad deal, I say don't buy it and send them a letter or email telling them exactly why you haven't signed up.

O2 in the UK bumped up their minutes and texts (data has always been free) on all the plans a few months after release, so if enough people aren't buying it because of the plans they may well give you a better deal later.

Edit: which is presumably what you did above, Mitty. :D

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Good plan. I can buy and Mitt can hold off so they bump up the data limit. ;)

12. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, I had to. Typing fast with a couple of errors and terrible language, in the heat of the moment, but I told them exactly how disappointed I was (and what I was happy with). And asked if they have a cap on daily data traffic (like the Swedes one I described above).

On the other hand... if you compare this with the prices of, lets say a Nokia N95 8GB which is NOK 4538,- (for the first year, without any call minutes, SMS, or data, when you buy it with 1 year contract from Netcom), the Sony Ericsson W960i 8GB at 7090,- (first year total at Netcom, blah-blah), the ancient Nokia E90 at NOK 6438 (first year total) or even the Nokia 8800 Shaphire at over NOK 10.000 (first year total), then NOK 6178 for the iPhone 8GB and NOK 7078 for the 16 GB isn't too bad.

Still don't like the 100 MB data plan, though. That is totally frelled up. Totally. :mad:

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Hang on... I live in Trondheim... isn't there something called Wireless Trondheim that gives WiFi access all over town? I have to check up on that... might solve most of the data limit problem for me.

And yes, I still completely agree, the data limit is really stupid. Db.no now has an article on this and those who comment there aren't exactly thrilled about the prices either.

I'll be interested in knowing if you get an answer from Netcom.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You lucky b******!!! :D

I have to rely on Netcom's kind of scrawny (at least here in Bergen) HomeRun network... :(

But, of course, as long as I'm home, work and the majority of friends and family I'll have my/their wifi to fall back on... ;)

He-he... the Netcom home pages seems to be taking quite the pounding now that all the major online papers have run the story... :D

15. reboad macrumors member

Whoa, you're getting totally screwed there. I'm glad teliasonera had some sense in finland.

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Netcom has a maximum price per day for their mobile broadband Connect Fritid at NOK 50 ($10). I think that's the best we can hope for. What really sucks is that even their cheapest mobile broadband plan, Connect Fritid, that comes with 20MB included, has a cheaper price per MB if you exceed the plan limit. NOK 5 per MB vs NOK 10 on the iPhone plan. :(

Connect Basic however doesn't seem to have the daily NOK 50 limit, but instead has a NOK 999 monthly limit to avoid the nastiest surprises.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

that is really bad, but arent all norwegians stinking rich?:eek:

18. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's just one small problem with that plan:
    And if you're first gonna jailbreak it (or buy it and pay off the contract fine), then you're probably better off with MTU or someone else (then Netcom).

Still haven't heard back from them about whether the max NOK 20 per day for data also applies for the iTalk plans...

Yes, of course we are, what's that got to do with it...? :p

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I wasn't really thinking of replacing the iPhone plan with that, since Connect isn't a mobile phone plan, but a laptop broadband plan. I was just mentioning it since it has these maximum limits and maybe the iPhone plans have some similar maximum limits that they haven't told us about yet.
    and if there is, it's maybe more likely to be set at NOK 50 and not 20 since that's what the Connect plan has.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Damn that sucks.

At least in the UK the plans are basically the same as the N95...

On the £35 and above contracts the iPhone (8GB) plans have the same number of minutes as an equivalent price Nokia N95 plan.

Then the following are the advantages of the N95
    • The N95 plans have double the number of texts (500 vs 1000),
    • The N95 also has Unlimited O2-O2 calls by default for free, but it can have either hotspot access or unlimited data for free instead (among other things)
    • The N95 is also free on £25/month and higher, but the iPhone is £99 on the £35/month contact and free after than.
    • The N95 is also available on contracts for less than £30 (which is the cheapest iPhone one).

Then the following are the advantages of the iPhone
    • The iPhone has unlimited data and hotspot access (vs the N95 which doesn't have one of the two)
    • The iPhone also gets reduced roaming rates, which appear to be available in all the countries possible, which would be really expensive to add on to the N95 (though I agree it isn't that useful).
    • There is also visual voicemail for the iPhone.

21. onemanarmy333 macrumors newbie

onemanarmy333

and i thought 400mb was bad. 100mb really draws the line of total rip-off

22. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ah, I see... I thought you wanted to use that with the iPhone (which, in addition to one of the cheaper plans, would be a rather good solution...)

Yes, but I'm still hoping since they have a cap at 20 for all the "normal" plans (except pay as you go) and the Swedes have a SEK 9 per day maximum...still cautiously optimistic about that one...even on this grim, grim day... ;)

23. iSaga macrumors regular

Man this is not good, I can't live without my iPhone but these plans stink.. Have any of you used an unlocked first gen iPhone in Norway? if so can you give me some info about pricing doing it that way?

The price of the phone itself is good, I suppose I could make do with the medium plan but they should have done away with the small plan and made the medium the small ad have a plan in between the medium and large.

My first bummer information in making the move from the US to Norway.

24. alejovh1 macrumors regular

100 minutes? Wow! I don't feel so bad about my plan here in the US

25. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

But what I really wonder is why we can't have a regular plan without any included minutes or SMS, something like:

Plan at 199,-
    0 minutes
    0 SMS
    0 MB

0,99(0,39) per minute
    0,69 per SMS
    0,69 per MB