Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Good morning all.

Been looking forward to this one. Purposely didn’t start my Outdoor walking manually this morning , just to see if it worked as per described.

Well after about 2 mins it still hadn’t reminded me. Now I’m no slow coach when it comes to the walking & im aware that your heart rate requires to reach a certain level before the Fitness app will recognise as exercise. I walked this morning at the pace I normally would (fast but not speed walking pace) & this would certainly be clicking up the calorie burn , moved minutes etc on previous version.

Now I have both detections switched on but it didn’t work for me. Is it temperamental ? Does it not work for walking ? Or have I to give it longer than 2 mins ?

Cheers guys.

lpoolrob

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
It worked for me (walking also), kicked in about 12 minutes into a walk and gave me ten minutes credit, however the map of the workout did not reflect this when the workout was finished. The map only showed from the point I got the notification about detecting a workout - anyone else?

Reactions: hufflematt

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
It worked for me (walking also), kicked in about 12 minutes into a walk and gave me ten minutes credit, however the map of the workout did not reflect this when the workout was finished. The map only showed from the point I got the notification about detecting a workout - anyone else?

Cheers for that. Shame it doesn’t pick up earlier into walking workout.

You could be finished before it kicks in !

Still at least gives you some kind of credit , albeit slightly shorter.

Hopefully gets more accurate over time.

Cheers

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I tried it 40min while biking, it didnt kick in. Maybe it’s limited to certain workouts? I got the impression from the keynote that it would work with all workouts.

Edit: In the Watch app, it seems to only list run, walk, rodd, swim or elliptical machine.

Probably it has something with the movement of the arms to detect which workout you’re doing. Hence why it didn’t detect my bike ride.

How are you swinging you arms when walking?

Brazilano

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2016
I tried it 40min while biking, it didnt kick in. Maybe it’s limited to certain workouts? I got the impression from the keynote that it would work with all workouts.

Edit: In the Watch app, it seems to only list run, walk, rodd, swim or elliptical machine.

Probably it has something with the movement of the arms to detect which workout you’re doing. Hence why it didn’t detect my bike ride.

How are you swinging you arms when walking?

They are moving, definitely.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Ok update.

Briskish pace walk about hour ago. Notified me after about 5 mins.

Normal arm movement as in a slight swing/sway, not like a helicopter though.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Ok update.

Briskish pace walk about hour ago. Notified me after about 5 mins.

Normal arm movement as in a slight swing/sway, not like a helicopter though.
I wouldn’t want it to notify me every time I’m just walking. That’s not exactly a workout.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Was doing cardio today and finished on the Stair Stepper. Forgot to hit End and as I got to the water cooler it popped up asking if Workout was over to End. So it worked for me and I didn't even mean to it.

Last edited:

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK

This was my exact same experience.

enduro0125

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
I accidentally didn’t start mine on my morning commute
I didn’t know about the auto start

Regardless it didn’t alert me.
I did remember after five minutes and turned it on.

Now that I know about it,I’m going to leave it off for the commute home. (Bicycle )

Stay tuned.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Did 20-min elliptical workout didn't work.

Wow that’s crazy, geez the movement on elliptical is pretty obvious plus your heart rate must of been climbing and still didn’t detect after 20 mins? Were you riding fast enough?

DukeSilver79

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
Raise to speak has gotten better for me than the early betas, but fitness auto start has maybe worked twice for me when I don't intentionally start a work out.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Wow that’s crazy, geez the movement on elliptical is pretty obvious plus your heart rate must of been climbing and still didn’t detect after 20 mins? Were you riding fast enough?

Yes, my heart rate was between 120-130. I just took a half hr walk and nothing either. I have Series 2 maybe it works better on S3/4?

tmiles81

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It worked for my walk to work after about 10 mins.
Someone said above that the map only shows from where the notification happened and workout was confirmed. This is my experience also. I'd be happy to use this for walking but for running i'll start manually.

enduro0125

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
I accidentally didn’t start mine on my morning commute
I didn’t know about the auto start

Regardless it didn’t alert me.
I did remember after five minutes and turned it on.

Now that I know about it,I’m going to leave it off for the commute home. (Bicycle )

Stay tuned.

Nope

Still nothing

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Based on my experience and others so far, the watch is able to do auto-stop, but as the title states, this is for auto-start. What is the magic formula to start it. And no, cycling doesn't count for auto-start. Auto-stop should be able to work with any workout.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I have always preferred to start my walk or run manually. Now I can ask Siri to start it for me. Never have found the autostart feature to be dependable on any device.
It is utterly flawless on a Fitbit HR Charge. Thousands of workouts, all autostarted and auto-ended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.