Not a good week for sports

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There have been some big sports stories this week that are not all good for the games.

NFL:Michael Vick and dog fighting,
MLB:Barry Bonds about to break the home run record,
and now an NBA referee is being charged with betting on NBA games.

Honorable mention can also be given to a claim of Steroids in golf and a pro wrestler killing his family.

Scottcop

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I cannot believe that there are any drugs that would improve someone's golf performance?

If someone could explain I would give them a shiny coin for their worth.

I guess all of this proves how sport is important in our lives, the fact that we care!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The claim of steroids in golf is that it helps the swing speed giving a longer drive.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I cannot believe that there are any drugs that would improve someone's golf performance?

If someone could explain I would give them a shiny coin for their worth.

I guess all of this proves how sport is important in our lives, the fact that we care!

More muscles = longer drives (?)

Slower to fatigue and quicker recovery times.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
espn
Scotland -- Gary Player put steroids at the forefront of the British Open on Wednesday, saying golf has its head buried in a bunker if it thinks the sport is clean and he knows of one player using performance-enhancing drugs.

The nine-time major champion urged golf organizations to start random testing.

"It's absolutely essential that we do that," Player said at Carnoustie, where he won the British Open in 1968. "We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf."

Player says it already has.

"Whether it's HGH, whether it's Creatine or whether it's steroids, I know for a fact that some golfers are doing it," he said.

Asked how he knew for certain, he said one golfer told him.
The FBI is investigating an NBA official who allegedly bet on games, including ones he refereed, in the past two seasons. The investigation reportedly has focused on whether the ref, whom multiple sources have told ESPN.com is 13-year veteran Tim Donaghy, made calls that affected point spreads.
espn

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Honorable mention can also be given to a claim of Steroids in golf
I'd think more important in golf would be a drug to calm the nerves. Blasting the ball 400 yards with a nasty hook isn't nearly as good as calmly lobbing it out there 300 yards.

Besides, we all know you putt for dough, and big muscles don't help there.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
MLB:Barry Bonds about to break the home run record
Forgive my baseball-related ignorance, but how come a player setting a record is considered a bad thing? Is he a controversial or disliked player or something?

Anyway, there have been some heartwarming sports stories these past few weeks, especially if football is your sport of choice. It seems I can't read the sports pages or visit a football website without reading that Leeds United are in even deeper trouble than the previous day. :p

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Forgive my baseball-related ignorance, but how come a player setting a record is considered a bad thing? Is he a controversial or disliked player or something?
Bonds is at the head of the steroid investigation, everyone's prime suspect, basically. The fact that he isn't very nice to the media doesn't help his image at all.

There's word that they will try to arrange for him to break the all-time home run record at home, where there will be (basically) only cheers, as opposed to breaking it on the road, where there will be many, many boos along with some cheering.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Because that player is alleged to have used steroids to get that record, and its not just any record its the most hallowed in all of sport.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
and its not just any record its the most hallowed in all of sport.
Well, that would depend on where your from, and what sports you like, I guess. ;)

As for Leeds Jaffa, who isn't enjoying seeing them in turmoil? Saying that, I was quite looking forward to our League One clash, actually.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Each time a new calamity befalls them, you find yourself thinking 'this really can't get any better' – but then they suffer another disaster and get deeper in trouble. It's one of those stories which just keeps on giving and giving. :p
It's true. I want to meet the person who let Ken Bates buy them again. Either that man is an idiot, or Ken Bates is the kind of guy who could sell Sun Glasses to the blind.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ah, but there's also a third option – maybe whoever approved the sale knew Bates is the perfect chairman to take Leeds into League Two and beyond... ;)
Hey, before you know it they'll be back in the Premier League. You just watch...

... It'll be the Blue Square Premier, but Premier never the less.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think we should keep Becks, but if they would take Posh back, that would be, like, Major.
The fact that they gave her a TV show is the last straw. Its a shame when people that don't deserve money have too much of it.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
it's been a rough week.
Vick really needs to get his act together, he's just constantly in the spotlight for the wrong reasons
Bonds doesn't deserve the HR record
Steroids in sports should monitored a lot more- for the cases of golf, Benoit, and Bonds (not proven but obvious)