Not all that impressed with portrait mode...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Oct 24, 2016.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So first off let me start by saying I am not all that impressed with Portrait Mode. Now before you start criticizing me let me explain my thoughts as to what makes me feel this way.

You are automatically shooting in the 56mm mode. Which camera is it using to focus on the subject and which is it using to blur the background? If it is using the 28mm camera to focus on the subject, then its digital zooming which explains the noise/loss of quality. I do not like that at all if this is a case.

If its using the 56mm on the subject, then what a terrible waste of a great aperture the 28mm lens has to offer. Part of what makes the camera amazing, is the 1.8 aperture and how well it captures darker objects. quite honestly, a 28mm, with a 1.8 aperture is going to give you a much better depth of field anyway.

Hoping they find a way to help fix this feature in the future. Perhaps, even if its adding the 1.8 aperture to the 56mm lens in the next iPhone.

Opinions?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wish they have dual facetime cameras instead. I do believe the vast majority of 'portraits' people will take will come in the form of selfies. This 'portrait mode' is more about shooting other people. Am I right?

3. techspin macrumors 6502a

I'll let you know my opinion as soon as they add another camera to the iPhone 7..

4. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't have a 7+ yet, but you are getting virtually no depth of field on a camera phone, even though the aperture is 1.8. This is a way to enhance the image and provide some optical zoom without getting a big old DSLR with red ring lenses.

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I would not say virtually none, depending on where subject is and background if you know what you are doing.

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I think you're missing the point of it. The pictures we take on our phones are visual representations of memories. When I look at someone or something that I connect with, that becomes my primary focus. Everything else fades into the background.

Portrait mode captures this. The subject pops off of the screen, and the blurred background gives context without distracting you.

I love it. I've been using it since beta 1.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

This dual lens setup takes a lot of the "if you know what you are doing" and can enhance the bokeh in the background much more so than with a single lens. I get it you are not impressed with it, but that doesn't mean it's a good feature to have for those who like it.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

But doesn't the 56mm lens give a truer representation of the proportions of the subject's face while the 28 mm impose a degree of barrel distortion? I always thought that's why photographers tend to avoid wide angle lenses for taking portraits but go with 50 mm for them instead.

9. Chumlee_ macrumors newbie

Pretty sure you can still use the portraits mode to take selfie and blur out the background any one remember those days when we use to take selfie from the rear camera

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's my quick tests... Not bad, the background is definitely all blown out.

[​IMG]

11. Macshroomer, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

This is incorrect, it is actually the opposite, smart phone cameras have a LOT of inherent depth of field.

Increased depth of field is more in focus around the plane of focus / focus point. What you are referring to is shallow depth of field which is more notable with lenses with faster / larger apertures. Other contributors to shallow depth of field are closer focus distances and larger formats. My 90mm F8 SW Nikkor 4x5 lens has a lot less depth of field than the 28mm 1.8 lens on the iPhone 7, and they provide the same apparent field of view in terms of what appears in the photo.

I'm not aiming this at you per se but lot of folks read the internet, buy "red ringed lenses" and think that they know about photography. As a very successful full time pro for nearly 30 years and a part time educator at a prestigious photo program...I am surprised at how little people really do know about actual photography.

Oh, and this cute little new "Portrait" thingy, man is it hokey looking, very uneven distribution of focus fall off, things haphazardly disappearing, really not that good when it comes down to the brass tacks.

Just goes to prove that you can't "Photoshop" everything, you need the real deal folks.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That is soo true! Ever since digital photography has gone mainstream absolutely everyone thinks they are a 'competent photographer', till you ask them to use multiple strobes and gels to create effects. Most people mess up here. Hence "GWC" lol

13. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm a part time amateur for a lot more years than you were a pro, and it's late for me and I said it wrong. :) I think the reason you are not impressed is because your expectations are ratcheted way up than what is really derivable on a cell phone camera in terms of big bodies, large lenses and large sensors. I'm not singling you out as you aren't singling me out, but it seems to me people who say they have a deep photographic knowledge, seem to place some of these cell phone cameras in the kiddie car arena.

Everything else aside, most shots with my iphone are in focus from 0 to infinity. It's tough to get any bokeh in these shots, which is what the second lens aims to do and is seems to do it very well. And maybe the software has to come up to snuff on this, with all of the different variations in scenes I think it's going to take apple a while to tweak the software.

And yes, I know to use my equipment and do take a good shot (by my family that is)

14. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

While it could use some more work, (edges of the subject and some awkward blurring of stuff that's supposed to be in focus) I think it's a really nice feature with lots of potential.

Attached Files:

15. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I'm not judging the feature, that much I like, especially if they can fix the subject from being so noisy and pixelated.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

And Apple will never do that. Although it's
    Clear your being facetious. Apple has and is promoting the Plus variant for obvious reasons. The Plus offers more and yes, costs more. If your disgruntled about your purchase or it's current capabilities, then it's from your own doing.

17. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Saw the download for this and was excited to try it out...

not impressed with it initially, maybe over time it'll improve.

I can manipulate that effect with just the stock camera on my iphone depending on the lighting so...

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

19. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

It's a shame that Apple doesn't offer it on the 7 for those who prefer smaller phones though.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I agree. It's a marketing incentive and Apple wants your money. But in my opinion, the Plus has lots to offer with battery life, 1080 P screen and of course the camera.

21. Hansana macrumors member

Wow you must be really bad at taking photos. Portrait mode has worked amazingly to me and so many others.

22. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Yeah, because how I take the photo really controls the noise/pixelation I am seeing. And I am so bad at it, its amazing thats how I've made my living for the better part of the last 14 years... :rolleyes:

23. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I love the blind support this feature has been receiving from "casual" cellphone photogs.

The depth of focus feature looks pretty at a glance, but there are glaring effects within the pictures that reveal the obvious artificial look. The harsh transition from in-focus to the background reminds me of filter apps you can find in the AppStore.

24. GooBoyGle macrumors newbie

I mean, you could do this with apps, not that impressed. The only pro is that you can see it realtime, but other than that, it's not special.

25. GrecoISU macrumors member

I must be weird. The fact I took this with my iPhone blows my mind... (Brother'a wedding)

Attached Files: