Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2009
So about 2 weeks ago me and my friend wanted to go into the Apple store to check out some cases and speakers. So we get to the front door and the the guy standing by the door says what can I help you guys with? I said thanks, but nothing specific just looking around. To which he replies, then you have to leave, theres no hanging out allowed. So I said but I want to look at speakers and he let us in.

Today I went again and I wanted to check out the Macbook Air, the guy says " If you want to look at computers go home and go on yours."

I'm really getting turned off because now I have to be worried if I walk into the Apple store someone is going to say something to me, just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I'm not a serious customer (own an iPhone4, 2 MBP's and an iMac) or I am going to cause trouble. It's not fair I have to be worried about looking a specific computer for to long or even walking into the store..

PS. It was 2 different people.

Comments?

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Alot of malls have policies on minors being prohibited from even being in the mall without an adult present.

While you may disagree, it is within their right as it is private property

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
So about 2 weeks ago me and my friend wanted to go into the Apple store to check out some cases and speakers. So we get to the front door and the the guy standing by the door says what can I help you guys with? I said thanks, but nothing specific just looking around. To which he replies, then you have to leave, theres no hanging out allowed. So I said but I want to look at speakers and he let us in.

Today I went again and I wanted to check out the Macbook Air, the guy says " If you want to look at computers go home and go on yours."

I'm really getting turned off because now I have to be worried if I walk into the Apple store someone is going to say something to me, just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I'm not a serious customer (own an iPhone4, 2 MBP's and an iMac) or I am going to cause trouble. It's not fair I have to be worried about looking a specific computer for to long or even walking into the store..

Comments?

You could do a couple things

1) Lie to him at the door and say you're here to buy some accessories
2) If he asks again, Tell him you want to talk to his manager about his rudeness
3) Write an e-mail/call your local apple store

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm really getting turned off because now I have to be worried if I walk into the Apple store someone is going to say something to me, just because I'm a teenager
One of the biggest complaints that Apple Stores get (from my experience working in one, and from reading the complaints posted here) is that the stores are full of "kids hanging out". That's really off-putting to some customers.

The store I worked in ended up implementing a "nobody under 18, unless their parent was also in the store" rule. But in the years I worked there, I never heard anyone working there be as rude as those folks were to you. We'd simply explain the rule. And if you really wanted to buy something, or check something out, that was fine. Just no hanging out.

Unfortunately, esp for Apple Stores in malls, some parents think they're day care centers, where it's appropriate to drop the kids off for an hour while they go do their "adult" shopping. :rolleyes:

Nick A

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2009
One of the biggest complaints that Apple Stores get (from my experience working in one, and from reading the complaints posted here) is that the stores are full of "kids hanging out". That's really off-putting to some customers.

The store I worked in ended up implementing a "nobody under 18, unless their parent was also in the store" rule. But in the years I worked there, I never heard anyone working there be as rude as those folks were to you. We'd simply explain the rule. And if you really wanted to buy something, or check something out, we'd break the rule.

Unfortunately, esp for Apple Stores in malls, some parents think they're day care centers, where it's appropriate to drop the kids off for an hour while they go do their "adult" shopping. :rolleyes:

I guess it is understandable to not have kids just going to the computers to fool around, but It's definitely not the case for me. And I never go to the mall just to "hangout". I am actually rarely there without my parents.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Alot of malls have policies on minors being prohibited from even being in the mall without an adult present.

While you may disagree, it is within their right as it is private property

+1

That's exactly the case. Still studying to be an attorney I see? Your law school training is starting to pay off Duke.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I was wondering how long it was going to take Apple to react to all the Facebook kids crowding the stores.

I used to see it every time I went there ... nothing short of a circus atmosphere :cool:

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I was wondering how long it was going to take Apple to react to all the Facebook kids crowding the stores.

I used to see it every time I went there ... nothing short of a circus atmosphere :cool:

Since it would be considered private property, a flash mob full of underage kids would not be constitutional. Public land sure, even Anonymous knows that rule which is why the gather in public near CO$ and not directly on the property, forming a flash mob inside any business on the other hand is still trespassing on private property if it is not for the purposes of doing business and a good way to get the cops involved.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2009

Yes, but just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I'm a typical one that would be in there to aimlessly play on the computers. Actually, I'm 1/2 through the A+ course.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
+1

That's exactly the case. Still studying to be an attorney I see? Your law school training is starting to pay off Duke.

Ah no. While I did strongly consider it, I decided to pursue my masters in atmos science at this point. Law may still be in the works yet though!

Yes, but just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I'm a typical one that would be in there to aimlessly play on the computers. Actually, I'm 1/2 through the A+ course.

Doesn't matter. There are many more people more responsible under 21 than their over 21 counterparts and they can't buy alcohol or gamble/ This situation is hardly unique is my point

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009

Indeed you may be there with the best of intentions but as a non adult you have to clearly state that intention on another's property when challenged to do so. "I have money, I want to buy something" usually does the trick.:D

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
crotchety old man here. I go to the apple store in SF for the "classes" they have for their audio apps. I am still getting the hang of the finer points of Logic for example. It sure is annoying when kids flop down in the seat next to you distractedly holding a big gulp full of strawberry soda. "Uh, not near the $2000 notebook honey can you skootch over that way?"
Still, I'm not such a jerk I would complain to the management about them.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Ah no. While I did strongly consider it, I decided to pursue my masters in atmos science at this point. Law may still be in the works yet though!

Doesn't matter. There are many more people more responsible under 21 than their over 21 counterparts and they can't buy alcohol or gamble/ This situation is hardly unique is my point

Dammit you are not going to be a lawyer now?:( I was planning on putting you under retainer, I have this little legal problem involving a hooker a tire iron and a car tru.....well ummm I'll leave out the details let's just say my weekend was fun last weekend and I'd like to keep what happens in Vegas in Vegas. Well not everything stays there my doctor is still treating the STD.:D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I guess it is understandable to not have kids just going to the computers to fool around, but It's definitely not the case for me. And I never go to the mall just to "hangout". I am actually rarely there without my parents.
Yeah, your store sounds way more militant about how they're enforcing that rule than the store I worked at.

IMO, the second guy was way out of line. If you run into someone that's rude like that again and want to have a little fun at their expense, tell them to go re-read the customer section of their credo card (which is a business-card sized pamphlet that has all of the Apple Retail philosophies printed on it). Just using the term credo card will probably stop them in their tracks, esp. if they are being a dick.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Dammit you are not going to be a lawyer now?:( I was planning on putting you under retainer, I have this little legal problem involving a hooker a tire iron and a car tru.....well ummm I'll leave out the details let's just say my weekend was fun last weekend and I'd like to keep what happens in Vegas in Vegas. Well not everything stays there my doctor is still treating the STD.:D

Haha I just got back from Vegas too! I was there from the 2nd to the 6th

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm with you OP. While that hasn't happened to me, WTFF :mad:
I probably would have ignored him and kept walking, and if he stopped me, then I would have asked for his name and brought it up to the manager.

They need to fix the issue with people using the computers to take pictures and post them to FB, but that's not the way IMO.

Whenever I plan to buy something in store and someone asks if I need help, I say "I'm just looking" so i can look at what i want without pressure of the salesperson. Great way to lure people away.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown

Nick I am not saying you should be barred from your local Apple store ... sometimes a bunch of childish teenagers can spoil things for the good ones.

tough situation to be in ... and no real reason for them to show such disrespect

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

There are stereotypes for a reason. Just because 1% are good kids, if they abandon the policy 99% of them would crowd the store again.

*17 y/o member of 1%*

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
On one hand I see their point, I hate it when people just waste their time at the Apple store, using the products when they have no intention of buying them. But then its not just kids who do this. I think the best approach would have been to ask to speak to the manager (in a polite way, not a "I'MA GET YOU FIREDZ" way) and explain that you genuinely enjoy apple products and wish to use the products. Might work.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Since so many parents think the Apple Store is a babysitting service, I'm glad they're cracking down on this. I hate it when I go in there to look at something I'm considering purchasing and kids are on there playing around on the computers.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
My first experience with an apple store was too many people looking, none buying, and the store smells like body odor. Thank god for online shopping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.