not another noisy keyboard thread... Apple won't repair says "within spec" video inside

barnoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2017
Sydney, Australia
hi all, been following this forum for a while but haven't made my own account until today. I purchased a base model 13" NTB back in Feb this year. It's been mostly fine but about 2 months ago started getting the noisy clicking keyboard issues a lot of you guys are having. Only does it when the CPU gets over about 50c.

I took it in to Apple when it first started and the Geniuses went on about how they've never experienced it before but agreed it was too noisy and said to just take it back home and see if it "wears in" over the next few weeks.

I did that and it's actually gotten worse, so I made another genius bar appointment which I went to yesterday and they were completely dismissive of the issue this time. Kept saying it is perfectly normal and "within spec" and "butterfly keyboards have different sounds as they heat up, this is a personal preference issue not a fault"

I pointed them to the long thread in here about keyboard noise and they said "don't believe what people on the internet say" (lol)

Anyway I asked if I could get the keyboard replaced and they said absolutely not as there is no fault. I then asked to speak to someone higher up and had the same thing repeated to me - this is a butterfly keyboard and noise difference between keys is "within spec" and the actual problem is with me for not liking the sound not a fault with the keyboard itself. I left unhappy obviously but told them I'd like to take it further.

I received a call about an hour ago from the same Apple store saying they have decided they will refund my purchase now out of "good will" but if I buy another Macbook I am not allowed anymore refunds that are keyboard noise related unless it is a major failure with the keyboard. (this will be my only return)

I am a bit surprised by their attitude to be honest as I've always paid the Apple premium for the fact that if theres any problems their repair process is pain free but they really seem to be denying this is even an issue.

Should I refund it and buy a 2017? Is the noise difference in my video normal and I am just being unreasonable?

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
wow, they are dicks. I took mine in 2-3 weeks ago with the same issue, and they said that it is "clearly noticeable" even when the computer was barely warm (they didn't give me time to get it hot).

My advise is, make an appointment at a different store, and run something that you know will get the computer very hot (and do it ahead of time because the Apple Store is very cold). They have to acknowledge it.

Also, they replaced my top case and keyboard (I now have the new keyboard with the little arrow above the left control key) and it sounds normal, even when hot. Someone said that this is the keyboard from the 2017 model.

EDIT: Well, the keyboard is ****ed, so if they are allowing you to return it, do so and buy the new one. It's not like you're taking advantage of them. You won't really notice the upgrade, but you'll have the new Kaby Lake processor. Plus I don't buy the whole "not gonna allow you to return it for keyboard-related issues" - Are they gonna flag your receipt? Since they fail to see the problem, they are trying to scare you thinking you're full of **** and just want to abuse the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

barnoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2017
Sydney, Australia
whoops realised I never updated this, went back to apple to get my refund and was planning to buy the 15" pro instead the same day and hope for a better keyboard but again the staff were so rude to me and acting like my keyboard was fine and kept insisting "no more returns" when I've only returned the one laptop out of about 8 Apple purchases. So I instead got a refund and ordered a Dell XPS. First time I've moved away from apple in 7 years but this whole experience really soured me.

Playfoot

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Well, we have had the same issue with our machines.

Have taken to Apple to repair, and to be fair they have repaired a number of keyboards for us, but we have one that they refuse to repair as the noise is within defined specifications.

Now to be clear, the noise, the clicking as the machine heats up is so loud that I am not allowed to use that particular laptop in a couple of libraries I visit . . . Too many complaints.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
whoops realised I never updated this, went back to apple to get my refund and was planning to buy the 15" pro instead the same day and hope for a better keyboard but again the staff were so rude to me and acting like my keyboard was fine and kept insisting "no more returns" when I've only returned the one laptop out of about 8 Apple purchases. So I instead got a refund and ordered a Dell XPS. First time I've moved away from apple in 7 years but this whole experience really soured me.
Cant't say I blame you. :|

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I bought a Surface Laptop to tide me over until they, hopefully, change the design on the keyboard.

It’s a good machine, but it’s been a royal pain to buy software on a new platform.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
That would drive me nuts. I’d have most likely done the same thing in the end. Not sure if I’d get an XPS, but I’d definitely be returning the MacBook Pro for a refund.

Reactions: tkermit

turbineseaplane

macrumors 601
Mar 19, 2008
That is completely obnoxious and unacceptable.

I can't believe how Apple is handling this situation.
It is shockingly bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: project_2501