iPad mini NOT CHARGING unless...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryHoodlum, Nov 2, 2012.

1. HarryHoodlum macrumors member

I use the wall charger included with the unit. Are you kidding me? I plug into my laptop and that's not good enough to charge? Good to know that if i'm in a jam, all of my USB charging accessories are useless. I'm assuming apple want's us to by $30 accessories now that they changed over to lightning...

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

3. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

"Don't forget to buy a new charger"!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWSEwKPo8s

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Same has been true for all previous iPads.

Some computers (including, but not limited to, recent Macs) can supply extra current over the USB ports and successfully charge an iPad.

Apple isn't trying to screw you over, the port you plugged it into just cannot supply enough current to charge the battery properly.

5. HarryHoodlum thread starter macrumors member

Nonsense. Never had this problem with any other iDevice EVER.

Car Charger - $30
    Wall Charger - $30
    New Laptop Battery - $90

Realizing you just got Apple'd - Priceless

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You have a previous iPad that charges from the same laptop port?

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

This ^^^

My work Lenovo M57 desktop can barely charge a cheap small (work) Nokia over 8 hours. In contrast my Mac Mini charges my iPhone even in sleep mode.

8. Akash.B macrumors regular

Lol, love how quickly people jump to conclusions. I remember it taking hours and hours charging my iPod touch from the computer. Obviously most computer USB ports don't have that much power. Any accessory that charges USB should work fine though

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Charging my mini off of my Macbook Air, right now.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Same but they offer more power than standard like other Apple computers and monitors (TB). Your average PC won't offer the extra power needed.

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

This is nothing new. My old Galaxy S wouldn't charge off of my PC case, in the front. I had to plug it into the ports directly on the mobo, in back.

13. HarryHoodlum thread starter macrumors member

It's not just the USB port on my Macbook. It's

1) The 5v adapter I use for my iPhone - FAIL
    2) The USB adapter for my car - FAIL
    3) Anything besides apples new "security enabled" scam POS connector

I'm pretty annoyed by this. Where am I supposed to charge my mini with this 3ft long cord? Certainly not my desk because the surge protector I use is *gasp* ON THE ***** GROUNd 4ft away!

I guess ill put my $400 piece of glass on the ground to charge it.

SMH :mad:

14. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

15. HarryHoodlum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip but you couldn't pay me to use a windows machine (no, literally, they gave me one at work and I bought a MBP instead).

LOLwindows...

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So your comparison is an iPhone? You haven't ever charged an iPad (or any other USB-charged tablet)?

The iPhone 5 has a 5.45WHr battery. The iPad Mini has a 16.3WHr battery. That's almost exactly three times the capacity, and you're shocked that the same low current chargers won't charge it?

Also why are you making this out to be some sort of Lightning-connector lock in? The same was true for iPads with the old connector, and is also probably true of other tablets that use USB for charging.

17. HarryHoodlum thread starter macrumors member

According to most reports, iPad Mini uses the SAME charger as the iPhone, so your logic is flawed. It's the fact that Lightning doesn't allow you to use cheap chinese clones or 3rd party accessories, which was NOT the case with the 30-pin. It is ABSOLUTELY a lock-in.

18. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

The lightning cable will work with any device that supplies the proper current. I have already used mine with an HP touchpad charger and car stereo with generic USB input. The lockout you are referring to is on the input end--the portion the plugs into the iDevice. It's only that end which must be compliant.

Stop acting like its an iPod touch. Surprise surprise it behaves more like a normal iPad with charging.

PS you do realize that even when it kicks up a message of incompatibility, it is still possibly pulling a low draw, I.e. not enough to charge, but rather stagnate.

19. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I just tried my (gasp) Asus charger (that came with my late craplet) et *double-gasp* Amazon charger (that came with my kindle). Both work.

rMBP USB ports also work. Bad HP laptop from work USB port don't. But then they have trouble charging my iPod Nano :eek:

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes, and that iPhone charger can supply more current than many standard USB ports.

How do you know it was not the case with the 30 pin as you have never tried charging an iPad before this one?

21. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I haven't had much time yet but when I plugged into my computer got the same msg. For ha ha's I tried reversing the plug in the mini end and it started charging. Again haven't done much experimenting but for a totally reversible plug it was weird. This was just after initial confit and wonder if that process does some setting thing with the plug

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many computer's USB ports are not powerful enough to charge the iPad. My MBP's usb ports are, but my work computer is not - go figure.

Is the USB port a USB-1, 2 or 3?

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

Maybe buy an extension cord? I am using and charging my iPad now about fifteen feet from an outlet.

24. HarryHoodlum thread starter macrumors member

Well what about the charger over been using for my iPhone for over a year? Why doesn't that work? And this I NOT my first ipad. I used to charge my ipad 1 on an iMac core 2 duo without issue.

25. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Since 99.9999999% of us don't have a problem with charging at all, have you considered maybe the electricity in your house is not that stable? I really don't understand your complaint. It sounds like it charges, just not within 3 seconds.

If so, grow up?