Not eligible for upgrade. Full price still = contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ninethirty, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I know there's a lot of these threads. I'm looking to find out something quite specific though.

My current contract with Verizon ends Oct 11th. They won't bump up my date. No biggie. Looks like I CAN actually pay full price on the Apple site on Friday, but is that going to sign me up for another 2 year contract? I'm fine paying full price, and continuing service without a contract, but if I pay full and get locked into another 2 year, I might as well just wait the few weeks and save 500.

Anyone know?

2. techishi macrumors member

No, paying full price does not extend your contract.

3. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. If I pay full price, will I continue service, but off contract? Or is buying full price going to create a new 2 year contract?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You will continue service while off contract. Your contract will end on October 11, at which point you will be eligible to sign another contract for another phone, should you choose that option.

5. kbsj007 macrumors newbie

kbsj007

I am in the same situation like you, the only difference is my contract ends Nov 30. Waiting for a better answer.

6. Versaceboy54 macrumors member

Pay full price and have contract extended? Att

I'm sort of in The same boat as you but I have att

I got the 5s last year on launch so I'm eligible for the 200.00 off on the 21st but I would like to just pay full price for the phone with out extending my contract this way next year my contract will be over and can get the phone for the normal 199 price so when I go to apple app it says 749.99 and under that I'm bold it says no contract extension required (I want the 64gig iphone6) all well and good but when I do the same thing to configure the 5s just to see what it says when I try to place it in the cart it first shows me the same full no contract extension price then on the next page where it shows you your updated rate plan and info it shows it's automatically configured with a 2 year contract extension even though it's for the full price of the phone.

I want to make sure there's no surprises come 12am on the 12th and when I call apple no one can seem to tell me if I'm really adding two years to my contract or not even though I'm paying full price. When I call att they tell me that if I order on their website there should be an option to buy the phone for a non commitment price but there still not sure.

Can anyone with past experience tell me if I use the apple app for the preorder and pay full price for the att version iphone 6 will this extend my contract or not?

Thanks
    Andrew

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think they answered this question above.

8. dreamroar macrumors member

Same boat! Verizon on contract end begging of Nov.

Same question, anyone can help?

9. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds like if you buy this Friday, when Nov rolls around, you'll continue service but off contract. If you wanted to upgrade next year, you could, but you'd be signing a new contract at that time.

10. techishi macrumors member

This is correct.

11. kbsj007 macrumors newbie

kbsj007

I just finished chatting with Apple Online Rep. Hope these three screenshots help.

Attached Files:

12. njn007, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Yikes, interesting messages from Apple.

I chatted and asked if I could do the same- buy an AT&T iPhone online, full price, without extending my contract. My rep told me that it wouldn't be possible unless I camp and get it in person. He said an online order would start a new 2 year agreement. :confused:

EDIT: See the attachment. When you go to ask Apple, you must stipulate online versus in-person it seems.

Attached Files:

13. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

When I called yesterday the Apple rep said I could preorder and pay full price on Apple Store app.

14. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Did he/she state if that would be starting a new contract? That's the key part that seems to determine the answers we're getting...

15. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

He said no. Your just buying a phone.
    More conflicting news...my buddy just called and they told him, you cannot pay full retail price with Apple for preorder. Has anyone got a straight answer from them?

16. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Tonight is going to be a nightmare. I talked to an AT&T rep who said that I can pay full price on apple's website at pre order, and my contract would not be extended. I have no idea who is credible. I can only imagine the number of upset postings there will be tomorrow as we try to sort this out. Yikes!

17. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

When I look at the apple website it looks pretty clear to me. When I select the phone at full price it still shows the (**) indicating a 2 year contract is required. This is on AT&T

18. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

The Apple website is showing you the price of the phone WITH that new 2-year contract. That's the subsidized phone price. Nobody seems to be openly displaying the off-contract/full retail price. You really have to dig to find that.

19. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Because of this scramble, I fear I will be getting up early to check, and may/may not order depending on what I find on Apple's site. Gotta be prepared to inspect fine print...

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I think I'm going to order through Verizon this time and sign up for the Edge option. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until June 2015 but Verizon Edge will get me the upgrade.

21. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

This is what I'm worried about. Everyone here is saying that buying a phone full price means no new contract, which is true when inside a brick and mortar store. Apples site only has 2 options: AT&T next, or new 2-year agreement. Maybe (hopefully) that's just their assumption for most people who are doing normal upgrades.

22. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

I was going to buy at full retail price but it's nowhere to be found. Think I'll go for the 200 off and start another two years. Still not too sure about the next plan.

23. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Here's a screenshot of my apple app order page when I configured a 6+. If I tap the 2 year contract option, it expands to say that no contract extension is required at the full price (at least that how it appears to me) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410476628.451648.jpg

24. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

That makes no sense to me. You selected "2 year contract" only to be told "no contract extension required" but with fine print about requiring a two-year agreement. :confused:

25. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why they would say no contract required in this situation (full price phone) if it wasn't true. The text at the bottom seems like kind of a general rule for both next and people using regular upgrades.