Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
The company I work for has this office in India full of programmers, and my boss emailed me this morning saying he is sending this Mac to India, therefore I have to use this horrible Dell system - with XP on

I'm a graphic designer, and do all the graphic design for the company... and now the frigtard boss is sending it to India :mad:

I don't know why he wants the Indian office to have it - when all they do is Visual Basic and C# 'programming'

It's really pissed me off, I feel like he does not value the work I do, the way I see it is a good employer should provide employees with decent tools

Rant over

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
shipping a mac to india? how does that make sense? can't they simply buy a mac mini in india. shipping cost are a waste of money. seems you need a new job. (as do i....)

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
It sounds like you'd be happier working for a different company.

I deffo need a new job! different company, fresh start!

So I'm not gonna mope about, everything happens for a reason :)

shipping a mac to india? how does that make sense? can't they simply buy a mac mini in india. shipping cost are a waste of money. seems you need a new job. (as do i....)

He's too tight to do that

This sucks... :(

Taking the mac away from a graphic designer and replacing it with a dell is like taking the machine gun away from a soldier and replacing it with a wooden spear.

very well put!!

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Tell him you need a the Mac, is your tool. Period. He can send the Dell there.

I am very strait forward with my clients and bosses always. I am not going to work in a ****** environment just because they feel like it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
it might be worth asking him why he is sending it there. I would at least hope there is some logical reason for it.

Just ask calmly on the reasoning. Do not be a jerk about it.

something like "I use it for graphic design work and I am just wondering why it is being sent to india.' It could easily beyond his control and he was just told to do it and passed it on to you.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
it might be worth asking him why he is sending it there. I would at least hope there is some logical reason for it.

Just ask calmly on the reasoning. Do not be a jerk about it.

something like "I use it for graphic design work and I am just wondering why it is being sent to india.' It could easily beyond his control and he was just told to do it and passed it on to you.

he's the MD, i did put this to him "testing for the new website", I then informed him that Safari is available for Windows, he didn't know this!

He's starting a software company, and it's amazing his lack of knowledge towards the industry...

I heard him on the phone once, talking to Dell about a new office server "I'm in a rush to get this, and I trust yours is the best price" he said to them... surely you shop around, but he based the decision on the fact the office is full of their ugly desktops...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
This sucks... :(

Taking the mac away from a graphic designer and replacing it with a dell is like taking the machine gun away from a soldier and replacing it with a wooden spear.

that, is a fantastic quote. i have to remember that one.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Taking a mac away from a graphic designer and replacing it with a pc shouldn't be an issue if they're any good.

So- if you can't stand using a PC and dealing with all the crap that goes with it, you're not talented? Excuse me? That doesn't follow. We use Macs for a reason- so we can get our work done, and not constantly have to work on maintaining the machine itself. Of course you can do it on a crap PC, but it's hardly pleasant or efficient.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Taking a mac away from a graphic designer and replacing it with a pc shouldn't be an issue if they're any good.

This goes beyond being good or not. I consider myself a competent designer whether on a Mac or otherwise, but ask me if I'm happier using a Mac. I'm sure he will be fine on the PC, but being happier at work counts for something.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio

It is an issue if you want to get anything done. I'm in a similar spot as the OP, I was given a Gateway, 1.8GHz P4, 640MB RAM, integrated graphics to use for one client who insists on having all their work done on a PC. I can tell you that doing graphics on a PC absolutely sucks, especially if you have InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat open at the same time. It takes too long to do anything, real long if the apps start crashing (happens a lot). My G4/467 runs circles around that Gateway even with all my graphic apps running, plus browsers, email, FTP software, and an other minor apps. A great tool goes along way when the job needs done properly and on time.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK

you should see this thing - it judders, its annoying, there's limited fonts, I miss Spotlight, the screen quality etc...

Plus I've gone backwards from CS3 to CS

You can't bake nice cakes with dogsh*t

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Oh come on! I know you prefer PCs and all but you're beginning to sound like iW00t with this persistent and unnecessary snideness.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Of course it all comes down to skill/experience.

I bet the soldier could kill me faster with a wooden spear than I could kill him with a machine gun. :D

But the proper tools for the job go a long way. I can clearly tell the difference between cheap and expensive oil paint for example.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Oh come on! I know you prefer PCs and all but you're beginning to sound like iW00t with this persistent and unnecessary snideness.

Unnecessary maybe, but bleating designers who expect things to be handed to them on a plate annoys me a little. Not in-forum, but out there in the real world where I have people working with me. That was the initial impression.

If it's clearly worse and not just down to OS differences - you have my commiserations tomo, but it seems if you've gone backwards in even your design tools then you have to put your foot down in some way, or reevaluate your position - especially as the Mac is likely to have gone to a designer over there perhaps?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

I'm glad someone has said this.

You also put it in a much nicer way than I would have....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Unnecessary maybe, but bleating designers who expect things to be handed to them on a plate annoys me a little. Not in-forum, but out there in the real world where I have people working with me. That was the initial impression.

If it's clearly worse and not just down to OS differences - you have my commiserations tomo, but it seems if you've gone backwards in even your design tools then you have to put your foot down in some way, or reevaluate your position - especially as the Mac is likely to have gone to a designer over there perhaps?

Actually, the OP's post clearly states,
when all they do is Visual Basic and C# 'programming'
. So you are incorrect in your statement there. It is also incorrect to think the OP wanted something handed to him. It is clear to me this machine that is being sent to India for some reason is the machine he uses daily. It is not that it is being replaced with a Dell, it is simply that it sounds like the Dell is outdated and tired. It also seems to me that it is like my job. If someone were to take away my poorly designed system for tracking pricing and cash and replaced it with an excel spreadsheet I too would find this to diminish my working conditions to a point where I would probably want to make a case to get the poorly designed system back.

In other words, it sounds to me as though this decision was made without discussion or consideration for the associate's needs. Perhaps there is a new Mac in his future, but it sounds like for the time being this is not the case. You simply cannot blame the OP for being upset.

To the OP, while it would appear your tools are being taken away you can live with the replacement or find another job. It seems as though your boss isn't your favorite boss. There are good bosses out there, trust me!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It is an issue if you want to get anything done. I'm in a similar spot as the OP, I was given a Gateway, 1.8GHz P4, 640MB RAM, integrated graphics to use for one client who insists on having all their work done on a PC. I can tell you that doing graphics on a PC absolutely sucks, especially if you have InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat open at the same time. It takes too long to do anything, real long if the apps start crashing (happens a lot). My G4/467 runs circles around that Gateway even with all my graphic apps running, plus browsers, email, FTP software, and an other minor apps. A great tool goes along way when the job needs done properly and on time.

Umm it being slow has more to do with the fact you where running a slow POS computer. 1.8 Ghz is SLOW for a intel chip.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK

Not just down to OS differences, the actual performance of it aren't as good, less RAM, slower processor, graphics card isn't the greatest...

all the design for the company I do, there is no graphic designers in the India office

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.