Not happy with gaming performance on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdmoore74, Mar 26, 2012.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Any one else seeing slow downs in real racing hd 2 or asphalt 6? In real racing it happens during dash view. Thought that the quad core gpu was suppose to handle everything thrown at it. I'm not a happy camper.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've ran several races on Real Racing 2 HD and the only slow downs I saw were at the main menu. The races themselves were silky smooth.

3. Chewbz macrumors newbie

This is the Sony vita's gpu, and it has no where near the same resolution. I wasn't expecting the iPad to run any games that well with such a high res. Some computers with a dedicated graphics card will even have problems running games on this resolution. And this is currently the strongest gpu out right.

4. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

It's dash view in particular that performs poorly. The others work well. It's probably an issue with overlaying the dash and creating a viewport for the track.

It's not really the iPad 3's fault, per se. I've seen a lot faster systems than that which can't hold 60FPS at max resolutions.

That's why a lot of fast-action console games aren't actually rendered at 720P; they're rendered a little lower (say, 560P or so) and upscaled.

Basically, I'm saying that devs need to do a better job of optimizing their games.

5. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

I have real racing and have had no issues. Give the developers a chance to come out with some new games. The hardware is new.

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

And also the iPad 3 overheats after 15 minutes of high powered gaming

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It does? Hadn't noticed that. Maybe yours is defective? :eek:

8. NvrEnough macrumors newbie

Nope

9. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

Did you upgrade from iPad 2? If so did you see the same "hiccups"?

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

RMA time. Have yet to see iPad shut down due to overheating playing IB2 or realracing.

11. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

How many websites have to do their own tests refuting the Consumer Reports claim before it stops getting passed around as the truth?

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I wonder.. could it be that in non-dashboard view, the game doesn't render at the native (Retina) resolution - you probably wouldn't notice it anyway when everything's moving. But in dashboard view, where much of the display is static, it does render at native resolution, hence the speed drop.

(Note - I'm talking about the resolution that the game is internally rendered at, not the final display resolution).

What do you mean by 'overheat'? Did the app/iPad crash, or become dangerously hot; or did it just become warm?

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I get slowdown on RR2 on the main menu when the car is driving under the archway.

It's the first thing you see upon starting the game, so doesn't look that pretty or fill you with that "wow" feeling.

Apart from that, things look great. Some occasional stutter over Airplay, but nothing to worry about.

14. homeboy macrumors 6502

Same here. The slight jitter that I rarely see in the main menu when I open the game doesn't bother me since I know up and coming releases will be optimised for the new hardware.

So give it some time.

15. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Personally I see a 3D game like that being a bit overkill to run at such a high resolution. 1080p or even 720p would be fine and keep games from any unnecessary framerate drops, slow down, etc.

I don't think I would notice any difference on this 10" screen.

16. psonice macrumors 6502a

You'd be wrong. The graphics are unbelievably crisp when running at full resolution - it looks amazingly good. Not to say I'd prefer full resolution over smooth gameplay, but I've not noticed anything running *too* slowly yet.

I've played modern combat 3 quite a bit. Performance has been very good - not 60fps, but plenty smooth enough. The iPad definitely gets warm after an hour, but running such a complex game at this resolution? Merely warm is pretty much a miracle! It's not got to a temperature I'd call 'hot' at all so far. And I've played it both charging and unplugged.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Happy with mine. Sorry your're not.

Return it.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep.

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Ummm, no.

Never had my iPad 3 "overheat" in any circumstances, even during a full charge to full discharge session non-stop on an overseas airplane ride last week. That included an hour of the new Sky Gamblers game wedged into middle of several MKV movie sessions. Didn't overheat once. Battery got warm to the touch (just like my iPhone 4S does) but that's the law of physics in play there.

20. njgeek macrumors regular

Wait for the developers to fix it. This isn't your iPad 3, it's the game.

21. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yep, came from iPad 2, and yeah, saw the performance issues.

Asphalt 6 has very slight hitches in it (frame drops), and Real Racing 2 has the problems mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD has really noticeable hitching.

I also thought Infinity Blade 2 was slightly choppier post-update, though it doesn't noticeably affect the fighting itself.

Didn't try Modern Combat 3, but my understanding is it's the real success story of the bunch.

These guys were pushing hard to make launch, though, and didn't really have time to refine.

Also, Real Racing 2 and Asphalt 6 both claim to have AA (4X for RR2 and unspecified for A6), which takes the pixel count up into the stratosphere. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD went to 2048x2048 pixel textures; guessing shifting the huge textures around memory is what's causing it to hitch.

All of that strikes me as a bit of overkill, and I'm guessing they were all just a bit ambitious.

22. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

When the iPad overheats, it shuts down and tells you why it's done so. It does get warm. There is a dual core processor, and a quad core GPU. Your iPad is a heat sink. Warmth is to be expected, and you will definitely know when overheating has occurred. Your hand feeling warm does not constitute overheating.

23. MacMane macrumors regular

You are correct about the modern combat 3 statement. I am pretty far a long in the game and parts of the game look impressive graphically. I also bought and beat sky gamblers and was a little disappointed in SG's graphics. I am excited to see a dedicated fps new iPad game whenever it comes out. I wish Uncharted came out for ios since its out for the vita using the same gpu. MC3 actually looks better on the iPad than uncharted looks on the vita IMHO.

24. foiden macrumors 6502a

Give it time. Most of the iPad 3 resolution games were not built to spec. Most were slap dash resolution bumps, coded very quickly, without optimizing code. The added resource was perhaps tested to be playable, but not tested to necessarily maintain the same performance as the iPad 2 with non-retina resolutions. Likely, something like Infinity Blade dungeons would be smooth as butter, being one of the earliest games made specifically tested for iPad 3 visuals and performance.