Not impressed with L2 cache size on new Arrandale compared to current 2.8Ghz MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Artmuzz, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am on the look for a powerful top of the range MacBook Pro for to do video production and audio and music production and originally I wanted to upgrade my 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Penryn mid 2008 to the 15" unibody MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz top of the range model but was told to wait for the new Arrandale Macbook Pros as they could be released January/February 2010.

I have looked at the specs of the new Arrandale chip over on Wikipedia but they seem to have a much smaller L2 cache compared to the current top of the range MacBook Pros and the L3 cache seems smallers aswell as the CPU speed being slower. Will this affect the performance of the new MacBooks Pros when doing audio, music and video production?

Art

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post.

And there is another Arrandale thread here, where you can ask that question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=668803

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Although Arrandale has lower L2 cache than the current processors, it has 4MB of L3 cache which would make it superior to the current processors. It also has a different architecture than the Core 2
    Duos. The new architecture has a higher FSB which allows for more memory bandwith.

5. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So 4MB L3 cache is more superior to 6MB L2 cache? Even though the 6MB L2 cache is bigger than the 4MB L3 cache. Explain?

Art

6. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

L2 cache is not simply more equals better performance when comparing these CPU's.

Basically :)