Not long till Apple sue HP

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JoshBoy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

I just came across a story of a new desktop that HP are producing, the funny thing however is the fact that Apple had recently files a patent on an iMac looking desktop with the same feature presented by HP of having a desktop that folds down for a better touch experience.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...er-to-battle-ipad-tablets-20110208-1akj4.html

I will be interested to know if this infringes on their current patent or not.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

when I first saw this I was thinking of the knockoff mbp HP makes, or the envy :p

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm guessing no - it would be bad PR for Apple especially since they have no plans on developing said patent.

As a sidenote, that desktop is for kiosks (or is at least marketed as such).

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You would have to read the patent very carefully and compare very carefully with that HP is doing. You can't patent an idea, only an actual implementation of that idea. If HP achieves the same thing that Apple patented using a different method, then they would be fine.

The other thing that you have to remember is that lots of big companies have lots of patents and they usually don't just go and sue each other, unless there is a good reason to do this. If Apple believes that there is really a case of patent infringement, this will go into a file called "things we can use against HP". And if HP ever sues Apple, Apple will dig out that file and use it. On the other hand, HP might have (probably has) a file "things we can use against Apple". Both companies hope they will never have to use these two files, because it will cost them real money.

And just because Apple has a patent, doesn't mean it is a good idea in the first place. Apple doesn't mind if HP uses a stupid idea, even if that idea is patented by Apple. Never stop your opponents when they are making mistakes.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That hasn't stopped Apple from suing before!!!!!

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

These days Apple is always suing somebody/Being sued by somebody. They are in a state of constant lawsuit.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope HP used a different mechanism to make it recline, and Apple can't sue. Suing for such a simple idea would be ridiculous. Of course, you can't really sue because of an idea. Wacom's Cintiq "touchscreen" screens can already fold down like that. I use them at work.

9. HacKage macrumors regular

Apple need to give it a rest with the constant suing of everyone. Most companies take notes from other companies and most get on well. Apple do this as well, yet Apple are the ones who have brought the sue everyone mentality to all these companies and instead of working together for certain things, it just burns all bridges. Not saying Apple would ever need help from HP, but it really is getting out of hand, and pretty pathetic if you ask me.