Not many seem interested in the 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Dee, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I use Facebook as a measurement, normally see Facebook filled with unboxing live broadcasts. Search results only return 2016 and older. Even group pages that harvest YouTube videos then post them on Facebook haven't any uploaded any. Sure, the established sites have their previews from their WWDC '17 attendance. There is also limited unboxing videos of the 2017 iMac too, only Endgadget, MacSales.com have posted something.

Seems like the 2016 hit the spot for many, the popular YouTubers might not see any major changes to warrant reselling and getting the new ones to do a review.

The iPad Pro second gen is a different story, unboxings, harvested YouTube videos hourly.

This makes me wonder if Apple might stick to a slower refresh strategy. We might not see the 2018 rev until June next year.

2. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

Well like you said, why would people be interested in unboxing videos when nothing has changed on the outside?

3. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

I just bought mine upgrading from the late 2013 model, and I must say, I really like it.

4. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Refresh strategy is largely based on the availability of processors from Intel, I doubt they'll base it at all on how much coverage it gets in the news. And there's not really much new when you just update processors of course.

5. leman macrumors 604

Were there ever many unboxing etc. videos of incremental upgrades?

6. IllIllIll, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Most unscientific analysis ever.

Well there's your problem right there.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

It's not interesting compared to the 2016. It's just an incremental upgrade. The incremental upgrades never gather as much attention as the redesigns.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

CPU/GPU benchmarks, battery life, and how/if the keyboard is different are about the only interesting things (and many people don't even care about those). I ordered the 13" 2.3 GHz NTB with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD as an upgrade for a 13" 2011 MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD so everything is going to be a massive upgrade for me but the same would be true if I had ordered last year.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Citing Facebook as an analysis of product purchases for MacBook Pros is like citing pencil sales to analyse how often people take notes.

10. Mr. Dee thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Unboxing is more than the physical, this includes using the device, its just a general term used for a video tutorial.

11. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

people w/ 2015 & 2016 macbook pros => no incentive to upgrade to 2017 model
    people with older ones and have been waiting for an update => already bought 2016 models because it took Apple too long to release a real update

12. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

If it's true that people are less interested in the 2017 models, it's likely for the following reasons. First, the pent up demand for a new MBP was largely spent on the 2016 MBP. Second, anyone with a newer MBP, especially owners of a 2016 model, aren't going to be interested in such an incremental update. Any benefits are far lower than the additional expenditure would be. Third, anyone let down by the 2016 model generally aren't going to suddenly be clamoring for a 2017 model, because there isn't much that separates them.

13. HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

Those who are really interested and was waiting for V2 variation, have already read/watched the reviews....

I am pretty sure that i am not the only one who waited for V2 version of the 2016 MBP

Scratches on the laptop, keyboard problems, bad battery-life etc. you name it. Should be always addressed when refreshes are made to the product.

And one point to consider is that those who usually wait for refreshed models, they usually aren't the customers who buys the entry-level laptops of the lineup.... (When you spend 2500-4000€ on a laptop. You can wait for couple of months so the growing pains are fixed)

14. winterny macrumors 6502

I'd agree with all of that, but with that said, I just upgraded from a 2013 13" retina pro (maxed at the time) to a 2017 15" 3.1/1TB/560/16GB.

I didn't really want to go to 15", but the lack of a speed bump in all of these years has pushed me to no other choice, the current 2017 13" mbpro would have the same ram, and cpu only 10% faster, at least with the 15" I end up with roughly double the performance because of the quad core, though if I had the 2013 15", even that upgrade path wouldn't exist.

Overall, I'm mixed on my opinion of it.

Negatives:
    - Battery life is clearly worse if you are doing anything even slightly taxing of the CPU. I think the only way to get their 10 hour life is to have safari on a simple web page with no ads, or watch a h.264 video with screen brightness all the way down. If you have a bunch of tabs open in chrome, you are probably lucky to get 5 hours (I didn't time).

- The touch bar is a huge downgrade from the old physical keys, it is a somewhat interesting concept, but the implementation is terrible for several reasons -- there is no more 'touch typing' to raise or lower volume, brightness, Mission Control/expose, or even hit the escape key, and it is very easy to accidentally touch the buttons now.

- No magsafe. I like the option for charging with USBC also, but they should not have eliminated the magsafe port -- I remember in the past destroying two laptops because the cord got kicked, and I'm not excited about the possibility of it happening again.

- Some devices are really silly to use with USBC dongle, such as my Yubikey Neo which I use for securing my logins for work.

Positives:
    - Being able to charge from any USB is nice. It isn't enough power to actually charge while you use it, but it will at least slow the draining down using any iPad charger -- so this is great for using a laptop while in a car, or just opportunistically plugging in at places that have usb chargers rather than taking out the big charging brick
    - USBC is an improvement over USB-A, and you can replace the cords on many devices -- I replaced the cord on my CF reader and external hard drive
    - I like the new keyboard, but I'm sure not everyone does.
    - It is thinner and lighter than the old 15" and basically weighs only a slight amount more than my 2013 13", so the portability with the giant screen is nice.
    - The speakers are great.

15. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I imagine excitement was higher for the 2016 model that was redesigned. Not much time has passed since October 2016 honestly, and the upgrade for MBP this year was just a spec upgrade really.

My hypothesis is that unboxing videos are down across the board recently compared to yesteryears -- technology has really matured since the late 2000's when phones just adopted big touch screens and new mobile OSs, and MBPs just adopted Intel technology. The maturity in tech has led to more incremental upgrades and less super exciting big features, and even Moore's Law just isn't a thing anymore.

16. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

The new ones aren't really that much different so not surprised not many are interested

they hardly bumped 15" graphics and changed architecture from skyline to kaby lake which isn't the biggest leap

thats really about it,

oh and they offer a 128gb 13" nTB for $200 less than the 256

its nice, but theres really zero compelling reason to upgrade from 2016 to 2017, imo

17. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Better not read this thread on my new MBP! Wouldn't want to give it a complex. :)

18. jerryk, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68020

Just wait until it sees you reading about the 2018 model in 11 months. The screen will either fry, or the keyboard will short out, sending a huge paralytic current surge into your fingers.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

My 2008 MBP's "Service Battery" warning appeared the day after I brought home my 2017 MBP.

20. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

- Apple needs to go back to the removable battery.
    - Apple needs to come up with a screen that's more durable.

21. tl01 macrumors 65816

Loving mine! I haven't had a laptop in forever as I use my phone, iPad, and desktops... but I suddenly needed one and think it is great! I even love the keyboard. Only debate is would I be better off with the 15 instead of the 13. I think portability is important for me so I might just keep the 13.

22. epca12 macrumors regular

Maybe because Apple didn't make a big deal about it or it got lost in all the wwdc announcements. It's the same case (maybe worse) with the 12" Macbook and that received quite a substantial upgrade, more than the 2016 model which got a lot more coverage. It's a real shame IMO, I would like to see more videos of the 12" Macbook as well as the Pros

23. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I was excited. Bought the brand new high end 15" model and boosted to 1TB. Paid $3,500 total with AppleCare+. I didn't post an unboxing video or feel the need to share my purchase on my private social media accounts.

Probably not as much hoopla this time around because the design is the same, just new specs. So showing off the touch bar, the size, the keyboard, etc. would all be redundant. I am sure the popularity will show up in their sales figures next quarter though.

24. Mr. Dee thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

If you can go nearly 10 years without a new one, I should be able to do the same. 2023 MacBook Pro, here I come!

25. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

How much of a difference is there between the new 2017 MBP and a 2007 MBP ?