not pay tax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Jul 5, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

where do i not have 2 pay for tax on a new MBP other then ebay

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are legally supposed to pay taxes on all online purchases. There are plenty of other threads about this, but MacMall and Amazon are better then eBay.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

any internet retailer that does not have a brick-and-mortar store in your state. technically you are supposed to pay it yourself, but obviously you do not intend to. does your state have a tax-free weekend?

5. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

well im 14 so no i dnt intend 2

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Good job. Our country's future is in great hands.

7. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

please for give me 4 not having a clue who to even go it 2, much less ive saved up for 2 years and i know grownups who dont

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes... I'd go with Amazon as MacMall and underage people ordering doesn't sound like it would go over so well.

9. friareunuch macrumors member

newegg too i think.

also, you can ship to new hampshire or delaware or someplace with no sales tax. if you're close to one of those states.

10. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Maybe I'm daft but how I think it might be a little hard to purchase from an online retailer at such a young age with, say, no credit card. Or debit card.

...or even an ID card. :cool:

11. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Please buy the low-end mac laptop and put the rest toward a good grammar lesson.

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

you could move to oregon?:D

serously. when i see something for $5. i want to pay 5 bucks.

it really messes me up when i go to other states.:rolleyes:

13. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

I concur. Are we too flipping lazy to type out the missing 3 letters and missing punctuation? Text/Instant messaging will be the death of the English language.

I read the other day that college students are turning in essays with IM shorthand in them!!!:eek:

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I would give them a zero on said assignment, but allow them to make it up for a maximum of 50% credit.

The word "inexcusable" doesn't even begin to describe this.

15. cl0wnzee macrumors member

cl0wnzee

Out of interest, how much tax do you pay in the states? I mean if the tax isn't unbelievable high, why should someone ask.
    Stupid thread...

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It depends on the state in which you live. It can be anywhere from 0% to... 8 or 9%, I think. I don't remember the highest.

17. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

As someone who regularly interacts with university students through reference and research assistance, I can confirm that this is the case. It's been happening for some time now. Sad, isn't it?

I have multiple friends and associates who teach classes, and therefore have to grade papers and assignments. The usage of text-speak tends to disappear in upper-level classes. Introductory classes are supposed to weed this out. However, it seems to be up to the original instructor to decide what the appropriate grade-reduction should be (if any), and so there's no consistent "punishment" across the board.

As for the OP's original question, here in Alberta you avoid provincial tax because there isn't one. You won't avoid general tax which is currently 5%. As with the US, there are different rates applied in other jurisdictions.

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Try 9.5% in California... and the state is still hopelessly broke! I already pay more than my fair share of taxes as a married DINK. Until the incompetent government straps a GPS to my leg to tax every step I take I'll use every opportunity I can to save a few bucks!

19. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It isn't 9.5% all over CA. In Orange County it is 7.75% (unless that has changed since 1/1/09). In LA County it was 8.25% I believe. In Alameda County I believe it's around the 9.5% you're citing.

I pay tax on Amazon.com and I'm in NC.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I absolutely love my generation. Give them a zero and be done with it.

22. waiwai macrumors regular

up in canada we pay upwards to 14% depending on the province... u guys have it good if its 0% to 9%...

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sadly kiddo it isn't just your generation. I love having discussions with grown men and women who think text speak is an acceptable form of communication.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It was so prevalent in my last company, they brought in English teachers to run seminars on business communication (internal and external customers). I used to have employees pleading with me not to send them but I was required to send all staff. God forbid we only send those who need it. :rolleyes: