Not Receiving my Email Push Notification Alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by No Regrets, Dec 21, 2012.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

My iPhone5 always used to make a bell sound when someone would send me an email, whether or not my phone was sleeping or being used at the time.

Now for some reason, the bell only rings when I physically open my email icon and check to see if there have been any messages received.

I went into settings and it says the Push notification is on and the sound is activated, but yet it doesn't seem to work for some reason.

I am confused as I do not know what would changed to make it not work anymore.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

3. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Hi HankHowdy and thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand your question. My iPhone5 was programed to use my yahoo email addresses right at my cellular provider office.

I'm not aware of it using any special app. It always used to work just fine. Now it only updates my received messages when I open the Mail icon at the bottom of the screen.

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Okay. So you are using the iOS mail app. Check the notification settings to make sure you have sound activated. Also go into sounds check to see what email sound is assigned.

5. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I have the chime activated for one account and the try-tone for the other.

I have push activated for both accounts.

Anything else I can do?

6. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

There is also a sound setting in the email setup menu. Check that.

7. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Hi HankHowdy,

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me with this. I feel somewhat technically challenged here as this is my first smart phone.

My phone is still making the sound that notifies me of the incoming email, but it will only do it when I manually check to see if there are any emails there. The phone is not pushing them automatically anymore.

When you say....."There is also a sound setting in the email setup menu. Check that." How do I go about finding that?

Thanks again.

8. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

can you tell me what email account you are using and how you set it up? Some screen shots would be good too.

9. No Regrets, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I will attempt to post some screen shots here....hopefully it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Let me know if there are other shots that I should try and take.

Thanks!!!

10. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

In your first pic you have notification center off. Toggle that on.

----------

In order to have any kind of push notification, you have to have the app enabled in the notification center.

11. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I'm toggled it on for both my email accounts and just sent an email by using my mbp. It still didn't push until I manually checked on the phone.

I'm confused, because the notification center has been toggled off since I've own the phone and it had always worked. Also, I just checked it on my wife's new iPad mini and it is toggled off there as well and she gets her emails pushed immediately.

I'm starting to feel frustrated as it seems as though technology is passing me by.

I sure do appreciate you trying to help me through this though.

12. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Have you tried deleting both email accounts, rebooting, then adding accounts back on?

I have also heard of yahoo mail being broken and not having the ability to push, sometimes for days. This is why I have changed my main email to a different account. I was once a yahoo customer. :)

13. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

No, I haven't tried deleting the accounts. I will give that a try, reboot, and then add them again. Hopefully that will work.

I'd kind of hate to have to have a new email address as I have a lot of contacts that is used to my current address. I wonder why my wife's yahoo account works though?

It's almost 11:30pm here and the wife is calling me to bed:) I will try the reboot etc tomorrow morning and will let you know if that works.

Thanks again!

14. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep without trying to delete the accounts, reboot, and trying to re-add them again.

So, I went ahead and did it, but to no avail. I love this iPhone and all of the Apple products, but this is really getting me frustrated.

Well, tomorrow is another day. Have a great evening and thanks again for your help.

15. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Are you near an apple store?

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

In the meantime, change the setting under Fetch from manual to 15 minutes. This way the phone will check the servers every 15 minutes and deliver your emails (which you will be alerted to). It's not as good as being pushed immediately but it's better than not receiving them until you manually check.

17. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Another thing to try is add your wife's yahoo email account and see if you get push with her account on your phone, then add your account to her phone and see if she get push on her phone with your account. This way you will know if its the phone or yahoos fault.

18. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite. About a 2hr car ride, unfortunately.

19. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Have you tried my last suggestion? If it turns out to be your phone then the apple store will have to get you a new phone.

20. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Tyler23 for the suggestion. I will do that if HankHowdy's following suggestion doesn't work. Thank you for chiming in.....it's much appreciated. The more minds we have working together on this the better chance we'll have of fixing this.

----------

Hi HankHowdy! We've been visiting with the extended family all day today and this is the first I've had a chance to check my emails.....

I will try and add my wife's email to my phone now to see if it works. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an iPhone, just an iPad mini. Although, I could probably add my email to her iPad and check it that way, right?

I will report back as soon as I am done with this little experiment.

Thanks for this suggestion by the way. It will be a great experiment.

----------

Hi,

Just now trying to catch up on my emails, etc. I am about to try the experiment right now. I will let you know how it goes shortly. Wish me luck!

21. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Yes try it with her mini aswell.

22. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I just added my wife's Yahoo email account to my iPhone5. I have two separate Yahoo accounts for myself....we'll call them account A and account B.

I sent her an email via my Mbp from account A and it was pushed to both her iPad mini and to my iPhone 5. So that works fine.

I sent an email via my Mbp from account A to my account B and it pushed to my iPhone 5 just fine. So that works fine.

But, when I send an email from my account B to my account A, it does not push. So I think that there must be something wrong with my account A.....am I thinking correctly here?

23. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Yep. It's your account. What about the other one are they both messed up?

This is a known issue with yahoo mail. And they don't know how to fix it.

I suggest you look into changing to another account. Or pay yahoo for a forwarding service.

24. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

My Yahoo account B will receive the pushed emails on my iPhone just fine, as does my wife's Yahoo account on both my iPhone and on her iPad mini.

It only seems as though my Yahoo account A does not receive the pushed emails on my iPhone......I have not put my account A on her iPad mini yet. I don't know if it pays to try that, seeing as how both her account and my account B work on the iPhone. It must just be something with my Yahoo account A.

Boy, I've had this account A for a long time...I wish I could figure out what went wrong and be able to fix it. It sounds like that might not be possible though, huh?

25. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy