Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
Guys I have problem trying to do a fresh Mojave install on a OWC 6G SSD.. The card is plugged in a PCI-E x4..But it don't matter if its in a PCI-E X 16 (Still the same problem) When booting off the USB drive.. Disk utility doesn't see the SSD drive.. Also, I tried to boot from a normal 3.5" hard drive (which has Mojave installed). My mac will boot-up with the 3.5" drive. However, when I fit the SSD (For cloning). The Mac Pro 2008 won't boot-up.. Whats going on.. I was hoping to clone the hard drive to my SSD first.. But since that won't work I tried to do a fresh install to the SSD (As you know) But the SSD is not seen, so I can't format it..

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
2008 Mac Pro running Mojave? This would likely be a 3,1 machine. No way you're getting to Mojave without a hack of some kind. And if that's the case, it very well could be an issue with your hack approach. I've seen a few 3,1 machines hacked improperly where they ID as iMacs and it creates numerous issues. Some 4,1 machines are also hacked in a way that did not involve true firmware upgrade (for some reason I'll never understand).

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
The SSD is a OWC Mercury Electra 6G (500GB) on a OWC PCI-E card, as for other cards... I have a USB 3.0 PCI-E card installed in the top slot..

Oh, I do have Mojave working. Installed using the patch, and with just the 3.5" drive fitted.. My mac boots fine (Mojave see's my Mac as a 2008 (3,1 Model).. After installing Mojave.. you boot of the USB drive again and in the menu you select the Mac model to patch. Which in my case is a Mac Pro 3,1. After that you remove the USB drive and do a reboot and straight into Mojave..

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
So you hacked the 3,1... it would be helpful if you disclosed that and the method you used in your original post.

You have no GPU installed in PCIe?

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
Oh I have a Geforce GTX 770 4GB graphics card installed (Mac ram installed is 64GB), as for getting Mojave installed on your 3.5" hard drive. I first got the Mojave patch and run it on my Mac (Had El Capitan installed).. The patch makes a bootable USB drive using Mojave.dmg that I downloaded, and you boot off the USB drive (I got how to do it off YouTube), and I was able to get the OS X up and running.. But only on a 3.5" hard-drive.. No luck getting Mojave to install on a SSD. The SSD not seen. You see I can get El Capitan) installed on my SSD but not Mojave.. Though using a High Sierra patch that OS X works with a Mac Pro 3,1 with a SSD...

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Install Mojave on your 3.5" SATA HDD.
Post screen shot of that install working.
Turn off machine.
Connect Mercury Electra 6G SSD directly to SATA sled, NOT in a PCIe adapter.
Post screen shot of Disk Utility showing your 3.5" SATA HDD (running Mojave) and your SSD.
If you get to that point, there are several options.

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
Oh, I've already installed Mojave on a 3.5" hard-drive.. I'll take a pic of the screen eh???..

Here's the Pic, and looks like one of my 8GB Dimms is not working Red LED is lit up (Dimm 2)..

Problem fixed. It was one of my 8GB dimms (I've removed it). The bloody thing is faulty, so I'll have to call NEXRAM and get it replaced..

Attachments

• Mojave.JPG
    Mojave.JPG
    643.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
Guys it's not the ram dimm. If I remove it mac works fine. Will boot with the SSD... You see going down to 48GB (7 8GB dimm's) My Mac works but going up to 64GB slow as hell (Takes forever to boot up). Oh, the ram is NEMIXRAM for the Mac Pro 2008 3,1 model...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Reactions: Alex Sanders74

Hooleydog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
Hi I did read that.. in the end I have 6 8G dimms and 2 4GB dimms fitted.. Now up to 56GB ram and installing Mojave is running at full speed.. Phew!!!.. Oh, I have a dual sata PCI-E card (6G) with one 500GB and the other is 256GB.. Both are Samsung Evo 850 Msata cards, and both are in 2.5" case's, so in a nut shell the max the Mac Pro 3,1 can go upto is 56GB ram..

Guys I ended up removing the 2 4GB dimms... Now I running Mojave with 48GB ram and no problems so far off the SSD. I'll see how fast my Mac game called The Last Of Us (Fantastic game).. Since I now have a high end (Built) Mac Pro 2008.. Oh, the game is a 17GB download...

Guys .. Which is memory riser board A top or bottom Please..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.