Not Sure I Can Wait Any Longer!!! (11A511) Thoughts?

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
453
0
baaah....I have held off on installing ANY beta releases of Lion. I actually have a dev account and just don't like messing with OS betas on my primary machine because I have too much to lose if things go wrong on this machine.

I have an iMac that I used to put the OS betas on but its boxed up in storage because our house burned down in March and things are still not together so I use this MBP i7 for everything in my life, the thought of a beta compromising could really hurt me....so this has been killing me not being able to play with it AT ALL and all week with the release dates sounding like this day or that day or this hour etc...I've just been getting so damn excited that I don't think I can wait any longer! I've already downloaded the latest Lion....and I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

I guess my only concern is that if I do it, I'm sure I can upgrade and things will be fine - but once the legit final version comes out, will I have any issues going from 11A511 to the final retail?

Any thoughts from those with experience would be much appreciated. I just don't want to do it otherwise. I've been running iOS5 since the first beta and that's been sloppy, but I know if I have to wipe my phone I'm OK. If I have to wipe my MBP it's gonna hurt me a bit to have to rebuild....

:::::

This "NO DISC" "App Store ONLY OS" for the first time ever.... is what's scaring me. We've never done it like this before...I just don't know what to expect with the transition from 11A511 to Final. It'll probably be a simple upgrade...just nervous.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
2,818
8
Cincinnati, OH
This "NO DISC" "App Store ONLY OS" for the first time ever.... is what's scaring me. We've never done it like this before...I just don't know what to expect with the transition from 11A511 to Final. It'll probably be a simple upgrade...just nervous.
No need to be scared. If it makes you feel better wait until it is released.
 

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2010
2,980
463
dont install the gm , it still has some bugs, the final will be a different build.
 

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2010
2,980
463
because apple can release a newer build as this is a download based update, they dont need to produce thousands of Discs and be locked with one build, they can update the build anytime before the release.

sure, it might be the same build but dont install the GM on your main machine.
 

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
453
0
Well thats the thing guys....I'm just too pumped to wait any longer! Haha. I'm okay with some bugs, I just wonder if anyone using it feels safe enough that the final will be an easy upgrade.....or are we thinking there might be some bullcrap to get from the final build beta that's up to retail.

Im on the fence right now and it seems like the other side of the fence is where I want to be, I just want to have some sense of security that if I jump in the Lion's den, they'll play nicely when that final version drops....I'm okay playing with some bugs as long as it'll be a seamless upgrade.

I think my biggest thing is that I want to check out the iCloud beta because I've had iOS5 running all this time without being able to do any management on my phone. The only way to run that is to run Lion...and it seems just so damn cool!
 

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
2,081
39
Pittsburgh, PA
I am no "power user" but I have not noticed one single thing wrong with the Lion GM after a week or more on both an Air and an iMac.

This GM is what will be on the App Store and is now being loaded on thousands of new Mini's, MacBooks, and Air's. Any major bugs will be squashed with a patch.
 

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
487
14
New York
because apple can release a newer build as this is a download based update, they dont need to produce thousands of Discs and be locked with one build, they can update the build anytime before the release.

sure, it might be the same build but dont install the GM on your main machine.
They're not going to release a new build without releasing it for testing.
 

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
106
0
Munich, Germany
Don't.
Or keep a backup of your current setup and give it a try.
For me, it works like a charm on my iMac, but crashes my MBP frequently.
It's not worth the trouble just yet. Wait for 10.7.1. (My humble advice).
 

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
10,703
1
Canada
This "NO DISC" "App Store ONLY OS" for the first time ever.... is what's scaring me. We've never done it like this before...I just don't know what to expect with the transition from 11A511 to Final. It'll probably be a simple upgrade...just nervous.
When it appears, then download it and follow instructions. Done. It'll be the same from then on as any other OS X upgrade.
 

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
428
39
They're not going to release a new build without releasing it for testing.
True. They just don't have the time to release a new build for testing and then releasing. ALSO, the fact they've called developers to submit their apps optimized to Lion, is more than proof that the GM will be the retail version because that's the version developers programmed for.

If there was to be a 2nd GM, it should have been released today to undergo 2 weeks of testing and then releasing the final version. What I'm pretty much sure will happen will be that when Lion is released in the App Store, developers will get 10.7.1 for testing and a couple of weeks later, it will upgrade officially to 10.7.1.
 

AVonGauss

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
268
37
Boynton Beach, FL
I don't know why people keep (wishfully) thinking there will be another build released, there won't - any corrections will be provided in a 10.7.1 update. Regardless of the volume of discs that need to be produced, you still have to draw the line and move forward at some point - we reached that point two weeks ago.
 

Jamie0003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2009
665
41
Norfolk, UK
I think the only reason it hasn't been released is because Apple have only just enabled developers to approve apps for lion, so those apps can be updated before it comes out, and to get the new Macs ready for release.
 

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
4,500
603
London, UK.
I don't know why people keep (wishfully) thinking there will be another build released, there won't - any corrections will be provided in a 10.7.1 update. Regardless of the volume of discs that need to be produced, you still have to draw the line and move forward at some point - we reached that point two weeks ago.
What discs ? It's a download only from the App store this time around.
 

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
106
0
Munich, Germany
I'm okay playing with some bugs as long as it'll be a seamless upgrade.
Well, if you're ok with having to do forced restarts via power button a couple of times a day, go ahead. Don't forget to repair the boot volume via disk utility every other hour though.
If you don't fancy that idea too much, I strongly suggest to wait until these major issues are fixed. Or keep a backup ready and see for yourself.
For the majority of people, the GM seems to work fine. But not for all of us.
 

AVonGauss

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
268
37
Boynton Beach, FL
What discs ? It's a download only from the App store this time around.
For users upgrading - you still have existing and new hardware stock. Some have suggested they may use a recovery partition, and they may well in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it this time around.
 

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
4,908
5,768
dont install the gm , it still has some bugs, the final will be a different build.
There will NOT be a different GM build. There's a reason it's called Golden Master. The next release is 10.7.1 with plethora of bug fixes.
 

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
106
0
Munich, Germany
There will NOT be a different GM build. There's a reason it's called Golden Master.
I find it interesting how you guys seem to know all this for sure.
It's not going to ship on a disk this time, so your guess is as good as mine, I would say.
At this point, it's all speculation.
And I honestly do hope that you're wrong. But that's another story.
The only thing that's more annoying than the false rumors is people who think they know it all, when basically we all know nothing.
 

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
3,497
2,493
Sydney, Australia
I would go ahead and upgrade your MBP to the GM. Just backup your HDD before doing so just in case. I upgraded from 10.6.8 when the GM was first realised and i had no issues upgrading, I've also experienced very minimal bugs which will be fixed in 10.7.1 anyway.
 

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
605
0
I wouldn't bother with it, especially on your main machine. For one there are still *many* bugs, it also freezes the heck out of my mbp i5 2010 forcing hard resets.

But apart from that, what is left without the bugs isn't that special either. No need to run that risk for nothing more then launchpad and mission control.

I would wait. And not just for lion's release but for 10.7.1 where i hope they will make this a stable o.s.
 

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
373
6
Dubai, UAE
I would go ahead and upgrade your MBP to the GM. Just backup your HDD before doing so just in case. I upgraded from 10.6.8 when the GM was first realised and i had no issues upgrading, I've also experienced very minimal bugs which will be fixed in 10.7.1 anyway.

This.

Although, I have not had any bugs at all.. on either of my machines...
 

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
1,561
0
california
I find it interesting how you guys seem to know all this for sure.
It's not going to ship on a disk this time, so your guess is as good as mine, I would say.
At this point, it's all speculation.
And I honestly do hope that you're wrong. But that's another story.
The only thing that's more annoying than the false rumors is people who think they know it all, when basically we all know nothing.
While your post is technically true, it's logically flawed. Consider what it would take to release a 2nd GM. It took two weeks between DP4 and the GM - since no features were added, it makes sense to assume they were ironing out bugs. Lion is going to be released in July. There's simply no time for them to push out a second GM and have it tested before Lion is officially launched. All this aside, there's no real reason to release a second GM. There have still been no catastrophic bugs warranting such a thing. Any bugs Lion currently has are minor and will be sorted out with a .1 release, which I'm sure is going to come much sooner than later.
 

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
4,500
603
London, UK.
For users upgrading - you still have existing and new hardware stock. Some have suggested they may use a recovery partition, and they may well in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it this time around.
What you say still doesn't make sense. Apple is not going to produce discs with Lion on it for anyone. If someone buys a Mac with Snow Leopard on it and they are entitled to Lion fro free then they will still probably have to download it from the App store.

The whole idea of releasing it as a download on the App store is to not create discs most likely to cut down on manufacturing and distribution costs. Having a download also makes it easier for them to deploy and make sure the latest version is immediately available to consumers.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.