Not Sure I Can Wait Any Longer!!! (11A511) Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hellodon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hellodon, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011

hellodon macrumors 6502

baaah....I have held off on installing ANY beta releases of Lion. I actually have a dev account and just don't like messing with OS betas on my primary machine because I have too much to lose if things go wrong on this machine.

I have an iMac that I used to put the OS betas on but its boxed up in storage because our house burned down in March and things are still not together so I use this MBP i7 for everything in my life, the thought of a beta compromising could really hurt me....so this has been killing me not being able to play with it AT ALL and all week with the release dates sounding like this day or that day or this hour etc...I've just been getting so damn excited that I don't think I can wait any longer! I've already downloaded the latest Lion....and I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

I guess my only concern is that if I do it, I'm sure I can upgrade and things will be fine - but once the legit final version comes out, will I have any issues going from 11A511 to the final retail?

Any thoughts from those with experience would be much appreciated. I just don't want to do it otherwise. I've been running iOS5 since the first beta and that's been sloppy, but I know if I have to wipe my phone I'm OK. If I have to wipe my MBP it's gonna hurt me a bit to have to rebuild....

:::::

This "NO DISC" "App Store ONLY OS" for the first time ever.... is what's scaring me. We've never done it like this before...I just don't know what to expect with the transition from 11A511 to Final. It'll probably be a simple upgrade...just nervous.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

No need to be scared. If it makes you feel better wait until it is released.

3. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

dont install the gm , it still has some bugs, the final will be a different build.

4. DandsM macrumors member

Why are you so sure?

5. parrishr13 macrumors newbie

parrishr13

That. Just be patient.

6. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

because apple can release a newer build as this is a download based update, they dont need to produce thousands of Discs and be locked with one build, they can update the build anytime before the release.

sure, it might be the same build but dont install the GM on your main machine.

7. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thats the thing guys....I'm just too pumped to wait any longer! Haha. I'm okay with some bugs, I just wonder if anyone using it feels safe enough that the final will be an easy upgrade.....or are we thinking there might be some bullcrap to get from the final build beta that's up to retail.

Im on the fence right now and it seems like the other side of the fence is where I want to be, I just want to have some sense of security that if I jump in the Lion's den, they'll play nicely when that final version drops....I'm okay playing with some bugs as long as it'll be a seamless upgrade.

I think my biggest thing is that I want to check out the iCloud beta because I've had iOS5 running all this time without being able to do any management on my phone. The only way to run that is to run Lion...and it seems just so damn cool!

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I am no "power user" but I have not noticed one single thing wrong with the Lion GM after a week or more on both an Air and an iMac.

This GM is what will be on the App Store and is now being loaded on thousands of new Mini's, MacBooks, and Air's. Any major bugs will be squashed with a patch.

9. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

They're not going to release a new build without releasing it for testing.

10. Tozzi macrumors regular

Don't.
    Or keep a backup of your current setup and give it a try.
    For me, it works like a charm on my iMac, but crashes my MBP frequently.
    It's not worth the trouble just yet. Wait for 10.7.1. (My humble advice).

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Extremely unlikely, but I suppose anything is possible. Just like I could get hit on the tuchus by a meteor. :D

12. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

When it appears, then download it and follow instructions. Done. It'll be the same from then on as any other OS X upgrade.

13. RJCP macrumors 6502

True. They just don't have the time to release a new build for testing and then releasing. ALSO, the fact they've called developers to submit their apps optimized to Lion, is more than proof that the GM will be the retail version because that's the version developers programmed for.

If there was to be a 2nd GM, it should have been released today to undergo 2 weeks of testing and then releasing the final version. What I'm pretty much sure will happen will be that when Lion is released in the App Store, developers will get 10.7.1 for testing and a couple of weeks later, it will upgrade officially to 10.7.1.

14. AVonGauss macrumors regular

I don't know why people keep (wishfully) thinking there will be another build released, there won't - any corrections will be provided in a 10.7.1 update. Regardless of the volume of discs that need to be produced, you still have to draw the line and move forward at some point - we reached that point two weeks ago.

15. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I think the only reason it hasn't been released is because Apple have only just enabled developers to approve apps for lion, so those apps can be updated before it comes out, and to get the new Macs ready for release.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

What discs ? It's a download only from the App store this time around.

17. Tozzi macrumors regular

Well, if you're ok with having to do forced restarts via power button a couple of times a day, go ahead. Don't forget to repair the boot volume via disk utility every other hour though.
    If you don't fancy that idea too much, I strongly suggest to wait until these major issues are fixed. Or keep a backup ready and see for yourself.
    For the majority of people, the GM seems to work fine. But not for all of us.

18. AVonGauss macrumors regular

For users upgrading - you still have existing and new hardware stock. Some have suggested they may use a recovery partition, and they may well in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it this time around.

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

There will NOT be a different GM build. There's a reason it's called Golden Master. The next release is 10.7.1 with plethora of bug fixes.

20. Tozzi macrumors regular

I find it interesting how you guys seem to know all this for sure.
    It's not going to ship on a disk this time, so your guess is as good as mine, I would say.
    At this point, it's all speculation.
    And I honestly do hope that you're wrong. But that's another story.
    The only thing that's more annoying than the false rumors is people who think they know it all, when basically we all know nothing.

21. torana355 macrumors 68020

I would go ahead and upgrade your MBP to the GM. Just backup your HDD before doing so just in case. I upgraded from 10.6.8 when the GM was first realised and i had no issues upgrading, I've also experienced very minimal bugs which will be fixed in 10.7.1 anyway.

22. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bother with it, especially on your main machine. For one there are still *many* bugs, it also freezes the heck out of my mbp i5 2010 forcing hard resets.

But apart from that, what is left without the bugs isn't that special either. No need to run that risk for nothing more then launchpad and mission control.

I would wait. And not just for lion's release but for 10.7.1 where i hope they will make this a stable o.s.

23. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

This.

Although, I have not had any bugs at all.. on either of my machines...

24. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

While your post is technically true, it's logically flawed. Consider what it would take to release a 2nd GM. It took two weeks between DP4 and the GM - since no features were added, it makes sense to assume they were ironing out bugs. Lion is going to be released in July. There's simply no time for them to push out a second GM and have it tested before Lion is officially launched. All this aside, there's no real reason to release a second GM. There have still been no catastrophic bugs warranting such a thing. Any bugs Lion currently has are minor and will be sorted out with a .1 release, which I'm sure is going to come much sooner than later.

25. Mr.C macrumors 601

What you say still doesn't make sense. Apple is not going to produce discs with Lion on it for anyone. If someone buys a Mac with Snow Leopard on it and they are entitled to Lion fro free then they will still probably have to download it from the App store.

The whole idea of releasing it as a download on the App store is to not create discs most likely to cut down on manufacturing and distribution costs. Having a download also makes it easier for them to deploy and make sure the latest version is immediately available to consumers.