Not sure why so many think Smart Cover/Silicone Case are bad...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Low country, May 12, 2016.

1. Low country macrumors 6502

I just bought the Smart Cover and Silicone Case from Apple and the fit is dead on perfect. Not overhanging, all holes lined up exactly spot on. Now granted....it is very overpriced as all OEM things usually are unless their on sale, but I know if I ever have an issue my local Apple Store will exchange it immediately, no UPS/FedEx shipping crap to deal with...

2. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Agreed, I like my silicone cases and covers as well. Yes, they are somewhat expensive, but the fit, finish, and attention to detail is outstanding. The silicone material makes it easy to take care of by a simple wipe with a damp cloth.

3. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

To me those silicone cases (i had one on my mini 4 but i sold it) are useless if someone uses its ipad mostly on home and away from children.... all my iPads where back case free and i never had scratches or any other issues whatsoever.... they improve grip but i dont like the extra bulk and weight.

4. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I love the Smart Keyboard w/ Silicone case. They look and feel great while adding a bit of protection to the iPads. I had them for my 13" Pro and just picked both of them up for my 10" Pro.

With that being said, it's almost criminal what they charge for them. Of course, maybe I shouldn't buy them then

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Which device?
    • iPad Mini 1/2/3
    • iPad Mini 4
    • iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air 3 Pro 9.7"
    • iPad Pro 12.9"

6. felixen2121 macrumors newbie

I agree that the fit is perfect. Although I am a bit disappointed that my case is already coming apart in one of the corners.

I live in Denmark and we do not have official Apple Stores here. We have a "Premium Retailer" chain called Humac. They would not let me exchange my case without a receipt (which I lost). Not very premium :-(

Does anybody know of an email address to Apple? I would really like to send them a complaint.

7. Mr.C, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016

Mr.C macrumors 601

I think you seem to be missing the point. The people who were saying the smart covers were not good were those that were using them on their own. Apparently if you use the smart covers on their own ( and I don't have any anecdotal evidence of this myself as I have the Smart Keyboard as well as a clear back polycarbonate case ) they over hang. If you use them with the official silicone back cases or any other third party ones this is not the case. Having said that I'm not personally a fan of any silicone cases as I think the material is awful. I much prefer polycarbonate which is what I have.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The complaint is that without the silicone cover, there is excessive overhang (did not use to be the case) and that they split up what used to be sold as a package and raised the price (somewhat necessary due to the availability of the keyboard, but could have done without the price raise).

9. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Do you guys have some magical knowledge about which iPad the OP is referring to?

10. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

they're great except for the price, for my mini 4, it's $110 for the combo thats outrageous

11. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

iPad Pro 9.7
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    iPad Pro 9.7

12. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Thank you. The relevant sister thread is thus http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-9-7-new-smart-cover-is-bad-really-bad.1965094/.

Based on this: [​IMG]

Which is from an Arstechnica article, and is mentioned directly and clearly:

The point then is that it is not "dead on perfect" when you buy the Smart Cover alone, which is a valid one. Detractors have a good point - if Apple intended it to be purchased with the Silicon Case, it makes more sense to keep a cover/case combo as a single purchase for this specific scenario.

13. aoaaron macrumors 6502

The silicone case is beautiful.

I think the covers are a little less refined.

I have the Smart Keyboard and typing on it now is really nice, easy and seamless but I can imagine it breaking at some point...

14. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

When I still had my iPad 4th gen I have the Apple Case, it had a built in screen cover and edges to actually protect it. Since Apple has gone the way of money making over a good product, I disagree. Picked up the Urban Armor Gear folio case for my iPad and I couldn't be happier. Cost overall, even after conversion and shipping it spent half of what I would have for the Apple case.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I have the Smart Keyboard too and I'm included to agree, it's a far better typing experience than I expected it to be.

I'm not too concerned with the durability though, based on using previous Apple covers they've always proved to have a decent shelf life.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

Do you really need to post a response like that ?

It's obvious from the original post the OP was referring to the 9.7" iPad Pro.

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I have the Smart keyboard and Silicone Case in grey and its fantastic. Yes its way over priced but worth the investment. Looks good, cleans up nicely and gives my 9.7" Pro complete protection

18. Hevelius macrumors member

For me the silicone case was just too heavy so that holding the Pro one-handed felt uncomfortable. It was also too much effort to prise the iPad out of the case whenever I felt like taking the case off.

I replaced it with a Moko transparent back cover, which is light enough that I don't have to bother taking it off. I have the Smart Cover also and the slight overhang doesn't bother me at all (I'm a bit ham-fisted and opening up the Smart Cover when it was fitted to the silicone case was a tad fiddly).

19. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I have the silicone case and cover on my mini 4 and I'm completely happy with it - light enough, easy to keep clean, and very protective for its weight. Good for an iPad that gets stuck in my bag and travels about with me.

I chose not to buy a set for my iPad Pro 9.7 for two reasons. First, when it's in viewing position and I have to tap the screen, e.g. when watching Netflix and I want to choose a new movie, it's possible to topple it over and separate the cover from the case, without trying too hard. I assume that this would be really easy to do with a heavier iPad. Second, I'm annoyed with Apple for not coming up with a good solution for the Pencil. I'm not paying $110 when I'll still be left with the pencil traveling separately.

20. Javabird macrumors 6502

Not sure about email, but here's a list of Apple support phone numbers worldwide:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

21. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

They aren't bad, but they are very overpriced, overly heavy, and slippery.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I just bought the frosted transparent Moko back cover and you may be surprised to know that the weight difference is pretty negligible. The Apple silicon case weighs 87g and the Moko weighs 84g. I think the Moko gives the illusion of a much bigger weight difference as it is thinner due to the front lip being smaller.

23. jerm13 macrumors member

Do any of the silicone cases/covers for the ipad mini 4 NOT collect massive amounts of dust, fuzz, etc.? I had the dark blue one and it was a dust magnet. I would like to use the apple case/cover, but not if they all get dirty instantly.

24. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I have the lavender case and cover on my mini 4 and it almost seems to repel lint and cat hair.

25. DSTOFEL, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Seems like the complaints I've heard are:
    • The front cover when used without a back case:
      • Has an "overhang" (lip) and doesn't fit the iPad as well as the cover for the Air 2 did: True.
      • Is heavier than the cover for the Air 2: Yes by 30 grams.
      • Makes it hard to access the volume buttons when using the iPad with the cover folded back: True, but I've tested the 9.7 pro with the cover "alone", with the SKB cover "alone" and with the silicone cover and case combo and the same is true for all 3 to various extents.
    • The Back Case:
      • Is slippery: To me, yes.....similar to the slipperiness of the silicone iPhone cases.
      • Is heavy: Yes, it does add some heft. The silicone case/cover combined (195 grams) is just 35 grams less than the SKB cover alone (230 grams).
      • Is tough to remove quickly if you want to use the iPad naked (i.e. "It"....not "you";--): from my testing, yes.
      • Makes it kind of pointless to obsess so much over which iPad color to get (i.e. Gold, silver, etc...) if you're just gonna cover up the back anyway.
      • Expensive: Hard to argue against this!
    I've always used my iPads with just a Smart Cover.....keeps it nice and light. I'm currently debating between using the cover "alone" (110 grams) with my 9.7 pro or the SKB cover "alone" (230 grams). I've bought both and am testing....will return one. Right now....leaning towards keeping the SKB cover even though about 120 grams (4.2 ounces) heaver. The SKB cover is still relatively small/sleek, adds the keyboard functionality when you need it and can be removed quickly when you don't want it on. I just wish it came in other colors besides charcol grey. Either way I go, I'm gonna pass on the back case. It's just not for me.