Not to many real ones left

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by firewater, Oct 7, 2009.

1. firewater macrumors regular

What happen to all the real Alu Macbook users?...

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

...what's a fake one?

I'm P.O'd at mine, I'm going tomorrow to have it swapped out for a 13" MacBook Pro because it's the ONLY portable Apple that I know of that has an inherent hinge problem. If you turn it vertical the lid will open and that's a first for me. They fixed it in the MacBook Pro, I tried it in the store it's perfect so...yeah...I'm getting rid of the inadvertently Limited Edition Aluminum MacBook

3. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I have one and I love it. I don't understand why so many people who had them were upset at the 13" MBP. There's always going to be something newer and better so just deal with it. Plus I think it's cool to own one of the few apple products to have only one revision before being discontinued. It's like owning a piece of history.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Still going strong on mine. And as for the lack of love some people have, it may have something to do with apple dropping firewire for the model, and installing god awful 9c89 screens on many of them.

Apple introducing improved models with new features at cheaper price points six months after they were introduced may help explain it, too.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I think you guys got screwed. It just goes to show that Apple never has a plan that goes beyond a year (which is not a bad thing).

And I can't believe they actually listened to the user base about firewire. Of course I can't believe they took it out either.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I don't feel screwed one bit. I rarely ever have a need for firewire. And other than it not having it, my computer is perfect in every single way. :D

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This is my opinion as well. It does what I need it to do just fine.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Rare yes, but what do you do that *one* time you need it? :D

The removal of firewire brought a lot of video editors/cameras to their knees. USB works for capturing (if your camera has the port) but when sending things back it sucks.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Video editors shouldn't be using a macbook in the first place. My camera has transferred video to my Macbook perfectly fine. Did it xfer as fast? No. But when it was on the computer, it edited just fine. :D:D

11. RahX macrumors newbie

how are you swapping it out? they letting you to switch it? coz i hve this problem too

12. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I have one as well. Loving it. Thinking of upgrading it to 4GB of RAM and the largest notebook HD it can handle. That's how much i still like it :)

It's sexy as hell :D

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You Apple-can-do-no-wrong cheerleaders crack me up. Like another poster said... "if they removed the speakers you'd just say that earbuds sound better anyway". :D

And you can ride a horse across town to but the metro is a much faster.

14. senorhappy macrumors member

I got one and it works perfectly fine for me. Getting ready to sell it to my mother-in-law within the next few months so she can get out of the windows world.

15. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I own a First Gen WhiteBook (handed down to my daughter) and a Uni Gen Aluminum MacBook and they're both incredible machines. -GDF

16. Exile macrumors newbie

Cause they do. To be honest I find no need for speakers on a laptop. The sound quality is horrific when trying to listen to music. Only thing that speakers sound well playing out are the regular system sounds. :D

17. firewater thread starter macrumors regular

I feel that this Macbook is the best I ever had! I went from PowerBook G4 12" to iBook 14" white and black Macbook to Macbook air. So yeaa I would put the Alu Macbook on top as my favorite laptop.:)

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wait, what? Why not? I bought my 12" PowerBook G4 with video editing in mind as one of the tasks it would be doing. And guess what, it ran just fine! My first video editing workstation was an Intel Celeron running at 400 MHz, and it did the job just fine too.

Sure, if you're a pro, you've probably got the budget to buy a pro system, but there are a lot of us hobbyists out there who still use DV equipment (and need Firewire). I invested a LOT of money into a Sony VX2000 and I intend to keep using it until the day it dies. It's not HD, but it's got such good optics that it can hold its own for anything I need to do.

For Apple to say either of (a) just junk all your existing equipment and buy a new USB model! everyone else is doing it! or (b) if you're a video editor, you must be a pro and therefore need to buy pro-grade hardware, was very insulting.

19. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I have one too. Use my iMac more though as i have been spoilt by the big screen. :)

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

A whole one-hour-and-14-minutes for a fanboy to show up. What took you so long? :D

21. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Have you been on the Tyne and Wear Metro? I'd choose the horse any day. If I was riding a horse I could run down the kids that keep playing on the railway and getting the Metro to shut down for safety every other morning.

50 years ago the train would have run down those kids and whilst it would have been sad for all involved, there wouldn't be any more damn kids playing on the damn railway lines and getting the damn Metro stopped when I'm already late for a damn meeting!

</rant> heh heh :rolleyes:

My best mate has an AluBook and he loves the damn machine to bits. I can't stand them, the metal enclosure is too slippery for my clumsy hands to manage without an £800 accident.

22. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Fair enough. I stand corrected. :D

I'm out of the city now and live in rural America. (The arsehole of the world to be exact). The trains here show no mercy for wayward livestock or stalled cars. We have no meetings because nobody can agree on what the current time is.

I can't wait until 2018 when my lowly whitebook dies and I can get one.

23. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

We have those kinds of trains too on the mainlines... the Metro has it's own method of working that seems completely isolated to pretty much everything around it. They even use kilometers for speed... madness.

As for timezone disputes, I generally avoid using times at all. "Morning", "lunch time", "afternoon", "tea time" and "night" are pretty much the only time references in my life :D

You have the same MacBook as my from the look of your specs; if mine lasts as my primary portable computer until 2018 then something somewhere will have gone very wrong ha ha ha!

24. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I love my uniMB. The only thing I wish for is the backlit keyboard. Also, the resale is a little less I believe but I plan to use my mine until it works no longer. I couldn't think of a better machine for the transition from the PC world.