Not to pick on you 2009 MP owners but...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wesk702, Jul 28, 2010.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

That years seems like it got shafted. I wanna see mind blowing upgrades.
    Only apple could pull off:
    "were gonna give you lower clock speed, but its much better, infact, its f-cking magic!"

Are you guys still happy with your 2009s or is this new ones aggravating.

2. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

How did I get shafted? I made tons of money with it. It has done everything I needed it to do and more. Not even close to shafted.

3. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I fail to see how the 2010 MP update would make a 2009 owner feel any worse.

The quad core MP hardly changed, and the 8 core MP received a 6% processor speed bump at a 6% price increase.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How so? I mean most people I know buy computers to fit a need. I'm not sure how they could have gotten shafted? :confused:

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

It's still a powerful machine

6. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

It seems like there are a large cohort of Mac Pro enthusiasts who care more about bleeding-edge features and specs rather than performance and stability.

How many devices and peripherals exist right now that can saturate USB 3.0 bandwidth? How many devices exist that can fully use FireWire 1600/3200? eSATA can be added to a Mac Pro via an extension cable, that is what I have done with my 2008 Mac Pro.

7. Ravich macrumors 6502a

You know what? That's a good point. I only planned on using this Mac Pro for about a year anyway. I'll just buy a new one with the next update and by that point, USB3 will more practical.

Hopefully we dont end up waiting another 512 days!

8. joe.cavers macrumors regular

That quote in bold above is EXACTLY the attitude we should all have. At the end of the day, for someone using their mac as a tool, THAT IS ALL IT IS. Which is why I'm using 2 apple laptops which are both over 3 years old :) I'll upgrade when I can't do what I need it to.

JC

9. tomllama macrumors regular

I bought a MP4,1 when my MP1,1 started to die about 2 months ago. I'm very happy as there is nothing in the announced new MP that seems all that better than what I have (2.93 GHz quad). No USB 3 and nothing special other than the new price.

I don't need 12 cores and I barely need the 16 GB of RAM I have. The 4,1 with an SSD boot drive is a very capable computer.

When the new 5,1 comes out, I'll consider a video card upgrade but that's all.

10. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

Like many have stated before I use my MP for work and it fits my need perfectly> I've made a bunch a money and actually I already recovered the investment. I got it in december. Has a long life ahead still and I'm happy with it.

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

There's never a better time to buy a computer than tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's hard to get anything done if you follow that philosophy. :rolleyes:

There is no arguing that 2009 was not the peak year for value in the Mac Pro, but it was the best new processor technology out of Intel in over a decade and, as a long time techie and hardware enthusiast, it was worth every penny for me.

I tend to buy on the bleeding edge, and while it's rarely the wisest place and certainly never the most practical place on the curve to be, it sure is fun. :D

12. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Doesn't matter - haters gotta hate. :)

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

We did get shafted. By the OP. We wasted time reading this useless thread.

14. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I bought mine at Launch, hardly 'shafted'. Also the 2008 MP doesn't support VT-x meaning it would be slower for virtualising.

So I think I've (and as many 2009MP owners) have done quite well. :)

15. snouter macrumors 6502a

16. iRobertM macrumors regular

Really dumb thread, can I have 2 minutes back?

17. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

So I bought my first ever Mac pro last year, and your telling me I should have just paid the same amount for the 2008? You made it sound like I just got had for 5k or something. When in reality, that 5k gave me the tools to turn it into 30k. :confused:

18. fabriciom macrumors 6502

+1

Lets wait for the EFI patch and see if how "shafted" we got...

19. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

20. seadragon Contributor

Perfectly happy with my 2009.

Besides, I enjoyed bragging rights for a LONG time! :D

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'll even go back to 2008 - My 2.8 GHz Octo Core still does everything it did a few days ago before the update. It isn't any less of a machine or failing to do what I need it to (and then some!) for simply not being the OMG NEWEST THING OUT!!1!1one

Being greedy and tech-elitist is the real shaft-take when it comes to attitudes.

22. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Ouch must have hit a nerve. Just saying 2009s seem like the worst value / dollar ratio. But hey, if you like your '09 more power too ya! Its just a computer lol.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No nerves hit here, I love my MP, but I've been at this forum quite a while watching people freak out because they don't have TEH NEWEST THING, OMG any more. I think it's a bad attitude to have.

24. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say they were the worst value for money at all. Look at the price for the 2010's....a marginal speed bump for the Quad, and everything else is way more expensive. If you ask me, im super happy I got my 2009, because I can upgrade my processor to a 3.33Ghz Nehalem (hopefully Westmere if they crack the EFI) pretty easily, and I can still run anything you throw at me.

Worst value? Best value maybe.

25. snouter macrumors 6502a

Don't congratulate yourself there chief. Your post just lacked substantive content and was more in the snotty brat troll vein of things.

There are hundreds of threads on here about the 2008 v. 2009 machines and obviously, the 2010 machines are little more than a slight speed bump on the 2009 machines.

There are hundreds of threads on here about why Apple has been neglecting the Mac Pro for several years now.

So, when you said "not to pick on 2009 MP owners" you really did mean to pick on 2009 MP owners and that type of disingenuous play gets little traction anywhere, not just on this forum.