Not using iPad 3 anymore than my old IPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, May 1, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I'm not using my iPad 3 anymore than my last iPad 2. So far ive barely bothered to use the new camera only once picture when I got it. The retina is underwhelming and I never use the voice dictation. Theres less revolutionary apps this time too and 4G does not work in the UK.

So over all after two months use ive seen no benefit from the upgrade. I updated from the iPhone 4 to the 4S and the camera is better which benifits me but again poor battery makes it a downgrade in the same way the extra size of the iPad 3 makes it a slight downgrade. I would find it hard to choose if I wanted retina or a lighter iPad 2. I sold my iPad 2 though.

But the iPad experience is natural and even after I got my iPad 2 I used it less due to typing on the iPad not being as easy as a keyboard. Another point is there's no proper games out yet that take advantage of the A5X.

So sadly I have to say if you are thinking of upgrading be prepared to be dissapointed. Theres so much better but lack of Siri, longer battery, same weight and size as the IPad 2 makes it a dull update.

2. PaulWog Suspended

You seriously notice the 1mm or whatever it is difference in size? Damn that's picky. It makes NO difference. If a hair drops on your iPad, do you get upset at the temporary thickness increase where the hair is too?

My sentiment is that the iPad 2 and iPad 3 are similar in usability. The major upgrade is the retina display. If you don't like the retina display, or don't care for it, then obviously the iPad 3 would be an underwhelming shift from an iPad 2.

Guess that's why you might want to research a product before you buy it. Not everyone has the same needs, wants, or expectations.

A new and absolutely devastatingly revolutionary iPad every year would be crazy to expect. Even calling every iPad revolutionary would be ridiculous. Maybe once every 2 to 3 years, but not yearly. That would be upsetting to consumers who don't like to update annually anyway.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like you don't need an iPad or an iPhone period
    There might be better choices for you

I love my iPhone 4s and my new iPad (3)
    Both were nice upgrades in my opinion in many ways
    I would encourage anyone who is considering upgrading to make their own decision based on their usage and experience, not that of someone else

4. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Why don't you use the voice dictation? I'm finding it to be very accurate and it makes a tablet experience a lot more enjoyable, sorry you're not liking your new iPad.

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't like talking to the device same with Siri.

----------

I notice the weight difference more than the dimensions. It's as heavy as the iPad 1 with a leather cover.

6. mcsenerd macrumors regular

In related news I just noticed that I'm not wearing my new underwear more than my old ones. I knew I shouldn't have wasted my money on that unstained cotton. Damn!

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Agreed!

8. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I also have a 10.1 Galaxy Tab & I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice how heavy the ipad 3 is, particularly for prolonged one handed reading. That said, the retina screen is amazing, I can't get over how crisp text is & the image quality is stunning.

I've loved gadgets of all kinds for over 20 years, there is no such thing as a "perfect device" :D

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You don't have to have every iteration of a product.

Skip a generation here or there, sock that excess toy money into a Roth.

10. chiffchaff, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

chiffchaff macrumors member

It would be hard for me to use the new iPad more than my previous one, because I used the gen 2 every day - in fact I have rarely been without my iPad since buying gen 1.

I would say I use the new one just as often, and enjoy it more because of the new features. But I agree that there's really no need to buy every new version, and not realistic to expect a huge wow factor annually. I did buy each new iPad so far, because I use it lot, but I also consider it a splurge to do so, not a necessity.

11. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I mean...

It IS an iPad 2 with just a much better display.

I'm loving it but I knew exactly what I was buying..

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In your post starting this thread, you said the lack of SIRI was a negative. Now apparently, SIRI is awkward to use. Which is it then?

Some people may not want to hear this, but I think your apprecaition of the retina display is largely dependent on how good your eyesight and visual acuity are. My significant other got my iPad 2 so I still see it and compare it with iPad 3 display, and to me the difference between the two are night and day. The metaphor I use to describe it is like staring at a screen with nearsightedness (iPad 1/2), and then putting on a pair of glasses (iPad 3).

And, I don't use my new iPad any more than I did the 2 either, but then given how much I used my iPad 2 to begin with, that's no surprise at all. The big difference though is that I'm happier to use my iPad now, and my eyes aren't straining anymore after a long session with it.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

How about you return your iPad 3 or just sell it? It'd solve 95% of your problems.

14. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

Return it then. We won't care, promise.:rolleyes:

And why not just write this kind of stuff in your personal diary at night and move on with life, why create a whole public thread for your individual opinion on how you felt about switching ipads?

Embarrassing.

15. paulro macrumors member

I feel the need to defend the op here. Airing views on a related forum is not 'embarrassing', just because it doesn't agree with your personal point of view.

It's possible that by posting his opinion, he may have helped someone that was on the fence about upgrading from iPad 2 to iPad 3.

I personally agree with him too, in that I recently took an iPad 3 back to Apple for a refund, due to it not being a big enough leap from iPad 2. The new display is very nice, but not the 'night & day' difference some people on this forum have claimed.

Apple are masters at creating hype for incremental updates to their product lines. People posting views that add some balance to the hyperbole, is a good thing, in my opinion.

16. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Sorry, that's what happens when you buy an LTE device but don't live somewhere that has it.

I now use my iPad 3 constantly while I almost never used my iPad 2.

Screen & text - for reading books and textbooks
    LTE - anywhere access to properly fast speeds, tethering to other people's devices

Camera has always been useless as an upgrade.

17. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

I agree mostly with the OP. The retina display is okay, is nice having a clearer screen it makes books and magazines a little easier on the eye and browsing the web is easier particually in portrait mode.

But I do not do any more with the 3rd gen than I did with my 2nd Gen. In fact it's just like I've still got my 2nd gen with a clearer screen but less battery life, more weight and marginally thicker. Also some of the games that have gone retina have actually got lower frame rates (queue the "there must be something wrong with your iPad because mine runs fine" messages).

Don't get me wrong I would not swap my 3rd gen for a 2nd gen but I was far happier with the leap from my 1st gen to the 2nd gen.

People can say "it's like the difference between night and day" but what exactly does that enable you to do any different than the old one? I've yet to hear a decent arguement.

18. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

I think you may have upgraded too early and expected too much. Its different for different people. You should have held on to iPad 2 and skipped a generation or two. iPad 3 is in no way worse than iPad 2 so you're not worse off. I'd hold on to it and wait to see what the 5th or 6th gen has to offer.

Just out of interest if you were happy enough with the iPad 2 why did you upgrade?

19. andross77 macrumors regular

Download Real Racing 2 HD, Air Supremacy, Galaxy of Fire 2 HD, Riptide GP, and ShadowGun. Then come back and admit you have no idea about the difference between A5X and A5 and no idea about whether games take advantage of the new processor or not. (notice i didn't, nor did he say "full advantage" as no software will probably ever take 100% full advantage of a piece of hardware)

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The extra size? .6 mm difference bothers you? Have you looked at that on a ruler? It's like a hair width.

And why would you expect to use the 3rd gen more than the 2nd? I would think you'd use them exactly the same amount. Upgrades to a gadget don't always mean you're going to use it any more than the last version.

And it has to be said again, I'm sorry. Before the new iPad was released, everyone bitched that the iPad 2 had no retina display and a crappy camera. Now that it has a retina display and a nice camera on the back, everyone is bitching about how that's all they got. What else do you expect them to do to a big slab of glass screen besides make the screen look more amazing? If you answer "add SD card slots", then you should have bought a different brand of tablet, because Apple is never going to do that.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

o_O at some people saying the retina display is just "okay." What other tablet you know has the screen resolution of the iPad 3? Its way ahead of other tablet competition in regards to display. And its definitely night and day from the iPad 2 to iPad 3 screen. Go to the settings screen and compare. What more do you want from the screen? I mean, damn, you can't even see pixels! If the complaint is some apps aren't updated to retina, then contact the developer. Apple has done their part.

iPhone 3GS to 4
    iPad 2 to 3

Both screens are way better when Apple made them retina.

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

People will never make sense.

iPad 2: everyone wanted a retina display
    iPad 3: everyone is bitching that the retina display isn't a significant upgrade

iPad 2: everyone wanted a better camera
    iPad 3: everyone is bitching that an improved camera isn't a significant upgrade

The media is especially quick to point this out and it's only for the purpose of click bait. Before the new iPad comes out, talk about all the possible new features, get hits and ad revenue. After it comes out, bash all the new features in all your articles, get more ad revenue.

It's a win win for the media.

23. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

The retina is lovely but its not exactly the same leap between black and white and color. Its a nice improvement this gen. For some people the iPad 2 screen was never really that bad so they might not appreciate the retina as much. Thats their perogative. If I wasnt as enthused about the retina I would have stuck to my trusty old iPad 2 too.

24. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I still own my ipad2 and barly use ,just for a media player

It's my ipad3 I can't put down

25. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I upgraded solely for the retina. I love that there's a better camera and faster GPU, but for me it was all about the retina.

It's not like going from black and white to color, but it's like going from 3GS to 4, and that was a huge improvement.