Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Notch versus Pill+Hole

• Total voters

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Notch versus Pill+Hole

iPhone-14-Pro-rumored-to-replace-notch-with-dual-pill-and-hole-cutouts.jpg

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Personally, I don't think we really gain much by removing the notch and replacing it with a pill+hole or just an elongated pill. It will still be in the screen, which takes away the point of removing the notch to begin with.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
View attachment 2036926 Frankly if the pill+hole was made into just one pill that would still be just as sick and iconic. Can’t wait for September

Pill and hole (or long pill in this case :)). Either makes the notch look cumbersome by comparison.

If it were just a single hole though, I'd prefer to keep the notch: otherwise it would look just like a mid-range Samsung / anonymous other-brand smartphone - and wholly *meh*. (Apple needs to keep it looking uniquely recognisable somehow...)

• Love
Reactions: Bobcat32

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I guess the pill + hole (or just pill) iPhone has no Face ID, or completely new and smaller components?

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
How cool would it be if they released both. Notch for those who want to keep Face ID. Pill with Touch ID in power button for those who prefer that.

They won’t, but it would be cool to have a choice.

I don’t really mind either.

But I do actually prefer the pill + punch hole over just the elongated pill.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think the notch looks better and is more iconic…
Iconic?

The iPhone X was the first iPhone with the notch and it launched in September 2018. That's only four years ago.

I might use the term 'distinctive', as in the notch is something that distinguishes Apple from other device manufacturers.

But I think we're a long way from iconic here.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Would much rather prefer the pill hole. I'm used to it, but don't like the notch. When ever I use my Galaxy I really wished the iPhone was the same and would ditch the notch.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Might as well make it one big capsule. The tiny gap between the pill and punch hole doesn’t really gain anything. But I think the bigger issue is with the ongoing pandemic, maybe it’s time they add Touch ID to the power button. I am sick of having take my mask off or having to enter my passcode. And no, the Apple Watch unlock only chooses to work when it wants to.

Reactions: arkitect

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Might as well make it one big capsule. The tiny gap between the pill and punch hole doesn’t really gain anything. But I think the bigger issue is with the ongoing pandemic, maybe it’s time they add Touch ID to the power button. I am sick of having take my mask off or having to enter my passcode. And no, the Apple Watch unlock only chooses to work when it wants to.
I haven't worn a mask since … the beginning of 2020.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Absolutely! an iPad style Touch ID in the power button would be perfect.

I haven't worn a mask since … the beginning of 2020.
*shrug*
Each to their own, I guess.

Even though they are no longer mandatory here, I still use one — because sometimes you think about other people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.