Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG is today unveiling its newest flagship smartphone, the LG G7 ThinQ, at an event in New York City. Before the new device's debut, MacRumors had a chance to go hands-on with it, and we thought we'd compare it to Apple's flagship smartphone, the iPhone X.

You see, the G7 ThinQ is the first smartphone with an iPhone X-style front notch from a well-known manufacturer that sells devices in the United States. So how does the G7 ThinQ measure up to the iPhone X? Read on and watch the video to find out.

Other companies like Essential, Huawei, and Chinese manufacturers have previously launched smartphones with notch designs, but LG's newest device is the highest-profile smartphone to get a notch, and it's the first notched device that's going to be widely available in stores aside from the iPhone X.

Because of the notch included at the top, LG's G7 ThinQ looks quite similar to the iPhone X. As is the style these days, it features a glass and aluminum body, a smaller form factor, minimal bezel, and a 6.1-inch display that's nearly edge to edge.

lgg7thinq2-800x450.jpg

Unlike Apple, LG hasn't quite mastered maximizing screen space. While the bottom of the iPhone X has no bezel, there's a small chin on the G7 ThinQ. And, of course, at the top of the G7 ThinQ is the infamous notch, which allows LG to get more vertical screen space while still including front-facing camera equipment.

The LG G7 ThinQ has a smaller notch than the iPhone X, and that's because the notch isn't doing quite as much. The iPhone X notch houses the entire TrueDepth camera system that enables the secure Face ID biometric authentication that Apple uses, and the G7 doesn't have an equivalent feature.

lgg7thinq4-800x450.jpg

Sure, there's a front-facing camera and an option to use face unlock, but it's not the secure 3D-based facial recognition Apple uses - instead, it's much less secure and can be used solely for unlocking the smartphone rather than verifying mobile payments or replacing passwords.

LG did do something with the notch that Apple didn't - rather than forcing customers to embrace the design, LG gives customers the option to turn off the notch and hide it within a more traditional status bar.

lgg7thinq3-800x450.jpg

LG's ThinQ G7 is a decent Android device that has a premium look and feel and many of the features expected of flagship devices: a fingerprint sensor, 16-megapixel dual cameras, a dedicated assistant button (for summoning Google Assistant), water resistance, an AI camera feature to improve photos, and a powerful processor.

As with most smartphones, the question of whether it's "better" than the iPhone X largely comes down to ecosystem preference. Those who enjoy the openness and customization available on the Android platform will prefer the G7 ThinQ to the iPhone X, while those who are committed to Apple's ecosystem will see the iPhone X as the better device.

lgg7thinq5-800x450.jpg

What do you think of the G7 ThinQ's notched design and the overall trend toward embracing the notch as a way to maximize screen real estate? Let us know in the comments. Stay tuned to MacRumors because we'll have a detailed comparison of the G7 ThinQ camera and the iPhone X camera coming.

Article Link: Notch vs. Notch: LG's New G7 ThinQ Compared to iPhone X

Reactions: MacLawyer

bigboyz12000

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
USA

LG is today unveiling its newest flagship smartphone, the LG G7 ThinQ, at an event in New York City. Before the new device's debut, MacRumors had a chance to go hands-on with it, and we thought we'd compare it to Apple's flagship smartphone, the iPhone X.

You see, the G7 ThinQ is the first smartphone with an iPhone X-style front notch from a well-known manufacturer that sells devices in the United States. So how does the G7 ThinQ measure up to the iPhone X? Read on and watch the video to find out.

Other companies like Essential, Huawei, and Chinese manufacturers have previously launched smartphones with notch designs, but LG's newest device is the highest-profile smartphone to get a notch, and it's the first notched device that's going to be widely available in stores aside from the iPhone X.

Because of the notch included at the top, LG's G7 ThinQ looks quite similar to the iPhone X. As is the style these days, it features a glass and aluminum body, a smaller form factor, minimal bezel, and a 6.1-inch display that's nearly edge to edge.

lgg7thinq2-800x450.jpg

Unlike Apple, LG hasn't quite mastered maximizing screen space. While the bottom of the iPhone X has no bezel, there's a small chin on the G7 ThinQ. And, of course, at the top of the G7 ThinQ is the infamous notch, which allows LG to get more vertical screen space while still including front-facing camera equipment.

The LG G7 ThinQ has a smaller notch than the iPhone X, and that's because the notch isn't doing quite as much. The iPhone X notch houses the entire TrueDepth camera system that enables the secure Face ID biometric authentication that Apple uses, and the G7 doesn't have an equivalent feature.

lgg7thinq4-800x450.jpg

Sure, there's a front-facing camera and an option to use face unlock, but it's not the secure 3D-based facial recognition Apple uses - instead, it's much less secure and can be used solely for unlocking the smartphone rather than verifying mobile payments or replacing passwords.

LG did do something with the notch that Apple didn't - rather than forcing customers to embrace the design, LG gives customers the option to turn off the notch and hide it within a more traditional status bar.

lgg7thinq3-800x450.jpg

LG's ThinQ G7 is a decent Android device that has a premium look and feel and many of the features expected of flagship devices: a fingerprint sensor, 16-megapixel dual cameras, a dedicated assistant button (for summoning Google Assistant), water resistance, an AI camera feature to improve photos, and a powerful processor.

As with most smartphones, the question of whether it's "better" than the iPhone X largely comes down to ecosystem preference. Those who enjoy the openness and customization available on the Android platform will prefer the G7 ThinQ to the iPhone X, while those who are committed to Apple's ecosystem will see the iPhone X as the better device.

lgg7thinq5-800x450.jpg

What do you think of the G7 ThinQ's notched design and the overall trend toward embracing the notch as a way to maximize screen real estate? Let us know in the comments. Stay tuned to MacRumors because we'll have a detailed comparison of the G7 ThinQ camera and the iPhone X camera coming.

Article Link: Notch vs. Notch: LG's New G7 ThinQ Compared to iPhone X

I find it funny that the one physical negative most agree on is the notch on our iPhone X. Yet, the competition still uses it in their latest offerings?? hahaha! Apple continues to lead the charge? At least the notch is smaller in the Android offering. Im sure Apple already has plans to make it smaller for my next iPhone X :]

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
People still buy LG phones anymore?

Let's be honest...there's two players in this game: Apple and Samsung. Just like its only iOS and Android.

I mean, Google, is trying with their new phones, but you rarely see any in the wild.

HTC, Motorola and LG are pretty much irrelevant now a days.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
People still buy LG phones anymore?

Let's be honest...there's two players in this game: Apple and Samsung. Just like its only iOS and Android.

I mean, Google, is trying with their new phones, but you rarely see any in the wild.

HTC, Motorola and LG are pretty much irrelevant now a days.

I don’t know about that. I’ve personally seen a few people jump on that Moto Mod phone

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't have any usage experience with the X, beyond playing around with one in the store, but to my eye the LG looks better since it has a thicker bottom bezel to balance out the notch.

Reactions: decypher44

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The notch bothered me until I saw one in real life then I stopped being bothered by it. I’m waiting to read comments about design, though. I mean, how much design is there really at this point? It’s a slab of metal/plastic with a screen on one side. Not many design options left at this point except size and color of the back. It’s a sure sign of a mature market.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I don’t know about that. I’ve personally seen a few people jump on that Moto Mod phone
Moto went to crap years ago. They used to update their phones on a regular basis, now good luck. On top of that, their line of phones are a complete MESS. It's so many versions of this and that phone, that it makes me wonder if they are confused themselves.

Reactions: oyabroch!

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I don't have strong feelings about the iPhone X notch. It would be good if Apple did away with it but it's also fine as is (disclaimer, I don't own an iPhone X).

That being said, the LG implementation looks worse because it sticks out more. Apple's wider notch leaves "ears" on either side but LG's version is like having Mickey Mouse ears on the phone. So even though the LG notch is smaller, it's more noticeable than on the iPhone X. Also, the bezel at the bottom makes the LG phone look unbalanced (this is a similar 'fault' of the current iMac design). It's not terrible, it's just a little unbalanced. The iPhone X doesn't come across as unbalanced. The be fair, not a lot of time is spent looking at the bottom of the phone - we look at the screens much more than what's around the screens - so it's not really an issue.

Reactions: Crow T Robot

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
More I see iPhone X I like it very much though notch is a set back. But it's way too expensive for one year lifecycle. FaceID which I thought not very intuitive but saw it in my S9+ seems to be quite good innovation. Camera department is another thing. But Android giving more options like P20 Pro, One Plus 6, now LG...infact V 9 Pro with 6.3 FHD in cell display really eye catching!

If not scared of security, Android platform providing efficient choices from the price point.

Glad to see iPhone X indeed a success and many including self proved wrong!

Reactions: Paleworm

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I find it funny that the one physical negative most agree on is the notch on our iPhone X. Yet, the competition still uses it in their latest offerings?? hahaha! Apple continues to lead the charge? At least the notch is smaller in the Android offering. Im sure Apple already has plans to make it smaller for my next iPhone X :]
Apple removed the headphone jack from the iPhone 7, and Android manufacturers were quick to play follow the leader with that as well. Hilarious when you think about it...

emulajavi

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2011
Apple doesn’t even ‘fit’ the status icon inside de ‘notch area’. They ‘invade’ the area below a little bit.

Icons on iPhone X should be a bit higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.