Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Good point. That certainly helped soften the Note 7 blowback.

Really goes to show how strong the S7 was in 2016.
Think the fact carriers were offering the S7 with free VR plus a lower price helped a lot

S7 was great after all and was pretty much same as note 7 for many things

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think if anything the S7/S7 edge gained the most from the note 7 nightmare
Indeed. Releasing the S7 Edge with a 5.5inch display and 3600mAh battery was a brilliant move, helped soften the blow.

Had this been the Note 4, they'd have just had the S5 to sell. Even with the S6 they had the S6 Edge Plus with 5.7inch Display and 3000mAh battery, if the Note 5 suffered this sort of fate.

Reactions: Jetcat3

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
A news release on the radio yesterday about Verizon aware of folks still using them, I thought Samsung was disabling them or is it up to the carrier? AND those folks have that smartphone now without having to make any more payments.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
A news release on the radio yesterday about Verizon aware of folks still using them, I thought Samsung was disabling them or is it up to the carrier? AND those folks have that smartphone now without having to make any more payments.

yes the updates that kill the phone have to filtered through the carrier, and there are ways to block those. what Verizon is doing (re-routing the outgoing calls to customer service) have effectively killed the note 7 on Verizon. I have gone back to using my old 5s until the S8 comes out. I am still using my note 7 as a Wi-Fi mini tablet.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
yes the updates that kill the phone have to filtered through the carrier, and there are ways to block those. what Verizon is doing (re-routing the outgoing calls to customer service) have effectively killed the note 7 on Verizon. I have gone back to using my old 5s until the S8 comes out. I am still using my note 7 as a Wi-Fi mini tablet.

I'd take that wi-fi mini tablet any day. Especially if one no longer has to make payments on the note 7.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I'm interested but the rumoured tab s3 with s-pen looks good too. Different form factor but still nice.

If having a S-Pen is crucial, the Tab S3 is going to be cheaper and more effective since it features more screen real-estate for the stylus.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

So 'the rumoured' - 'report' (a contradiction in itself) claims they would use a smaller battery and it would have a new case.

If Samsung were manufacturing a new case and battery and just recycling the other internal components from the N7, then IF these ever did release - they will undoubtably not be sold as Note 7's.

They would be rebadged entirely and contrary again to the article, they would not be selling these with note 7 internal specs at $250 as they suggest in their last sentence.. When you consider the price Samsung charge for the likes of the A3 or A5 even in India, to expect a device with internal specs of the N7 for $250 ? That's just beyond daydreaming.

Honestly I suspect the 'rumoured report' wasn't really a rumour is just clickbait filler (fake news/rumours) to drive traffic.

Reactions: jamezr and nviz22

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The Note 7 is only being offered as a limited run, get rid of stock, in Vietnam and one other market in that region, can't remember which? And it will have a smaller capacity battery.
Now in my mind they will have to sell them dirt cheap to shift them which makes them absolute bargains I think. Providing they don't catch fire which as Samsung found the cause of that I doubt they will.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Looks like some less-than-reputable sites were hungry for some additional clicks for ad revenue.

For the record - the site I prefer for Android news (Androidcentral.com, I'm an active member of the forums and part of the volunteer team there) only ran one article on this "news", a corrected article that Samsung India (one of two countries announced to be the market for these devices) has said it will NOT be participating in sale of the "refurbished" devices.

Refurbished Galaxy Note 7 could be heading to India and Vietnam [Update: Not really] | Android Central

With such a large portion of the projected market for this sale off the table, I imagine it's likely not happening.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
http://bgr.com/2016/11/16/refurbished-galaxy-note-7-release-date/

I know this article is old, but I wanted to discuss the possibility of a refurbished Note 7. Would people still buy one if it were quality checked to hell? Or has Samsung's consumer confidence shattered completely on MR?

I would buy one, but it would have to be half priced. Seeing the S8 makes me VERY curious how incredible the Note 8 will be. But I doubt those refurb Note 7's will make it to the US anyway.
[doublepost=1490711766][/doublepost]
Looks like some less-than-reputable sites were hungry for some additional clicks for ad revenue.

For the record - the site I prefer for Android news (Androidcentral.com, I'm an active member of the forums and part of the volunteer team there) only ran one article on this "news", a corrected article that Samsung India (one of two countries announced to be the market for these devices) has said it will NOT be participating in sale of the "refurbished" devices.

Refurbished Galaxy Note 7 could be heading to India and Vietnam [Update: Not really] | Android Central

With such a large portion of the projected market for this sale off the table, I imagine it's likely not happening.

I'm wary of Androidcentral. ghostery picks up 19 trackers, and even with an adblocker I still get pop up, in your face, screen centered ads and the site runs slowly. I try to avoid sites like that.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I would buy one, but it would have to be half priced. Seeing the S8 makes me VERY curious how incredible the Note 8 will be. But I doubt those refurb Note 7's will make it to the US anyway.
[doublepost=1490711766][/doublepost]

I'm wary of Androidcentral. ghostery picks up 19 trackers, and even with an adblocker I still get pop up, in your face, screen centered ads and the site runs slowly. I try to avoid sites like that.

Might have to import one. The FCC and Canadian regulation bureaus wouldn't want to open up risks to a Note 7 refurb model. It's probably intended for less regulated markets.

Reactions: spinedoc77

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I doubt we would see them in the UK/Europe either but I would get one for £500.

With the EU regulations and UK regulations, it would be really tough to get the Note 7 back there. 500 GBP is way too much for that phone anyways considering it should be like $300 USD at most because of how flawed the devices were. Though it's really unprecedented to see a repackaged product liability become a resold product. I think Samsung is concerning about recouping $ and not sitting on a pile of phones, especially when disposal is tougher with environmental hazards and concerns.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.