Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Those of us who switched from Apple a week ago tomorrow for the Note 7, how many of you are still loving the phone and who is thinking/is going back to the iPhone when the 7 comes out?

So far my 1st week without iOS has been good, I still love the Note 7, and don't miss my iPhone yet.my Apple Watch is in my watch case and I'm using my Huawai Android watch, which I was using with my iPhone as well some days. Mainly since Verizon allows us to upgrade with no penalty in 12 months when getting the Nowte 7, I don't feel so stressed about going Android, since IF App,e steps it up next year I can come back IF Android and Samsung don't keep me hooked.

My battery life the first 2-3 days was not good but the last 3 days it has evened out greatly and much better and I bought the wireless charger which is awesome!! Works great even in my clear Speigen case. The phone is just so damn sexy and truly love the customization Android allows.

I still use my iPad Pro and my Mac but for the phone right now, this Note 7 is enjoyable.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Those of us who switched from Apple a week ago tomorrow for the Note 7, how many of you are still loving the phone and who is thinking/is going back to the iPhone when the 7 comes out?

So far my 1st week without iOS has been good, I still love the Note 7, and don't miss my iPhone yet.my Apple Watch is in my watch case and I'm using my Huawai Android watch, which I was using with my iPhone as well some days. Mainly since Verizon allows us to upgrade with no penalty in 12 months when getting the Nowte 7, I don't feel so stressed about going Android, since IF App,e steps it up next year I can come back IF Android and Samsung don't keep me hooked.

My battery life the first 2-3 days was not good but the last 3 days it has evened out greatly and much better and I bought the wireless charger which is awesome!! Works great even in my clear Speigen case. The phone is just so damn sexy and truly love the customization Android allows.

I still use my iPad Pro and my Mac but for the phone right now, this Note 7 is enjoyable.
Very glad to hear that about the battery life.

Me too I'm thinking that if in a years time I'd rather go back to iOS, I'll just do it then and enjoy having had a year with a different kind of phone. The iPhone 7 really doesn't do it for me and I'm not foreseeing any real surprises beyond what the leaks have already revealed. For the iPhone 8 however (somehow it feels like a true redesign will happen next year so will they really be able to call that the 7s??) I think something something big might happen. (And at that point my provider will buy back my Note 7 for half the original cost if I get a new phone with them, which I think is a cool deal for an Android device...)

But yeah. For now it's the Note 7 for me, after 2 years with the 6 Plus and full Apple ecosystem. I've never seen a more attractive and state of the art smartphone design. Really, at least in terms of device design, this is all I hoped the iPhone 7 would be.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Only thing I miss is the syncing between my iPhone and iPad but other from that, I'm loving it. Looking at the Gear S2 to replace my Apple Watch. Just trying to see if it has a always on screen option like my Huawai Watch does.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
Only thing I miss is the syncing between my iPhone and iPad but other from that, I'm loving it. Looking at the Gear S2 to replace my Apple Watch. Just trying to see if it has a always on screen option like my Huawai Watch does.
when you say syncing. what type of items were you syncing with your iphone that you can't sync with the note?

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Things like when you take a picture, it automatically syncs with the iPad, Mac, etc
I replicated this functionality with Google Photos although the images do not appear in the iPad Photos app but instead appear in Google Photos. I have my S7E back up and sync all my photos every night while charging and they appear on my iPad and my Desktop afterwards. It's essentially the best you can do given the two different ecosystems.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I replicated this functionality with Google Photos although the images do not appear in the iPad Photos app but instead appear in Google Photos. I have my S7E back up and sync all my photos every night while charging and they appear on my iPad and my Desktop afterwards. It's essentially the best you can do given the two different ecosystems.

How are you getting Google Photos to sync with your desktop?

RAWandVITAL

macrumors member
May 8, 2013
There isn't a dedicated Google Photos desktop app. But you can access photos.google.com and it has all your photos synced up there.

My problem is, I've been using apple for the last few years. I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple Watch, Iphone 6 Plus... Those are my primary everyday devices. I love the cross functionality of imessage when I am on my macbook and I can pick right up when I am on the go with my phone...I also have a Note 5 and a S6 that I love. Finally with that generation, they were able to practically get the smoothness that apple had achieved 6 years ago. I'm due for an upgrade but there is no way i'm wasting it on the iPhone 7. Nothing appealing about that whatsoever and that's coming from a huge apple fanboy.

I'm on the fence with the Note 7. I love the note series. Great phone. The easily scratch screen has me worried as I don't like to do cases. And I'm kind of worried about losing that cross functionality also. I have a feeling i'll want to go back to the iPhone 8 once that comes out in 2017. Looks like they're finally doing a device upgrade. Not sure what to do...

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I'm very pleased.

For those who have already been enjoying the Galaxy Note series, the Note 7 is everything you expect and more. For those who haven't had a Note, you're in for a very nice surprise.

Certainly better than my Galaxy S7 Edge, it's a stunning example of Samsungs expertise.
[doublepost=1472186033][/doublepost]
How are you getting Google Photos to sync with your desktop?
This works great:

Install Google Photos Uploader for OS X.
Install Google Drive sync app to sync Google Drive on your Mac.

Open Google Photos via your browser and go to settings. From within settings, enable the Google Drive option.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
There isn't a dedicated Google Photos desktop app. But you can access photos.google.com and it has all your photos synced up there.

My problem is, I've been using apple for the last few years. I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple Watch, Iphone 6 Plus... Those are my primary everyday devices. I love the cross functionality of imessage when I am on my macbook and I can pick right up when I am on the go with my phone...I also have a Note 5 and a S6 that I love. Finally with that generation, they were able to practically get the smoothness that apple had achieved 6 years ago. I'm due for an upgrade but there is no way i'm wasting it on the iPhone 7. Nothing appealing about that whatsoever and that's coming from a huge apple fanboy.

for cross function you can use something like "mighty text" that will do pretty much what apple does with texting and phone calls to and from your desktop,laptop, or tablet. plus not only will it work with apple products but it will also work on windows and linux device. something you could never do with an iphone. and i will say mighty text has been out years before apple even started to do this.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

I'm on the fence with the Note 7. I love the note series. Great phone. The easily scratch screen has me worried as I don't like to do cases. And I'm kind of worried about losing that cross functionality also. I have a feeling i'll want to go back to the iPhone 8 once that comes out in 2017. Looks like they're finally doing a device upgrade. Not sure what to do...
You use the Google drive app to sync photos to your desktop.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Last night I took another step, I bought the Gear S2 (I didnt get the classic due to I have the Huawai Watch already with the leather band so I wanted something I could wear like the Apple Watch) and I love this watch, and when I was setting it up I discovered the sensor on the back of the phone that measures Stress, Blood Oxygen, Heart Rate, etc.... using the S Fit app. VERY cool!! The Gear S2 has the same rating as the Note 7 so can be taken up to 5 feet for 30 minutes, has a wireless charger as well.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Last night I took another step, I bought the Gear S2 (I didnt get the classic due to I have the Huawai Watch already with the leather band so I wanted something I could wear like the Apple Watch) and I love this watch, and when I was setting it up I discovered the sensor on the back of the phone that measures Stress, Blood Oxygen, Heart Rate, etc.... using the S Fit app. VERY cool!! The Gear S2 has the same rating as the Note 7 so can be taken up to 5 feet for 30 minutes, has a wireless charger as well.
It does also have an Always On feature, too. I haven't tried it yet because the raise to wake feature works so well for me. I'm shocked at how comfortable it is. It doesn't look like it would be as comfortable as my Apple Watches because it's huge on me, but it is. On the Samsung App Store they've got some nice watch faces. Make sure you select GEAR on the tab of the store so you can find the watch face apps easier. Some faces use more battery than others. Did you get the silver or grey watch?

We got ours free with AT&T for signing on two new phone lines, which our family was going to need anyway. I got silver with the white band and my husband got the grey with the black band. I love that each watch comes with two full sets of bands so he can give me his extra little black band and I could give him my extra large white band. I wish Apple had done that so I could share my large sport bands with my husband.

As for the original question, yeah I'm loving this phone. I'm still discovering cool things it can do. Like I posted on another thread, this morning I discovered it can test my hearing and adjust the sound output both in my speaker and my headphones to compensate for hearing deficits I didn't even know I had. There were other settings to improve how my music was sounding through my Beats Studio wireless. For ages I thought the headphones sucked badly because the music sounded so murky. They are not reputed as the best quality headphones. But there was mercifully an improvement after I let the phone test my hearing and boost my sound.

I've been very careful to avoid loading junk. Bloatware has been minimal and easy to control.

I did notice in comparing screens to my husband's Note 7 that his has a slight aqua tint. Mine has a better white. But I don't know if that's a settings thing because he and I have both messed with display settings.

Speaking of my husband, he dropped his Note 7 from a height of about 3 feet when he was getting takeout food. The N7 was in a Spigen wallet case stuffed full and heavy with his various cards and some bills. But the phone didn't even get so much as a scratch despite not having a screen protector on it. It is working fine. So hurray for GG5 and hurray for Spigen. A guy who came to my house to do some repair work had a G7 Edge that he said cracked when he dropped it just a few inches to the floor. I know it all depends on how the phone hits but my husband's phone had gone flying out of his hand so it was a pretty bad fall from a fair distance. So I guess GG5 is an improvement at least in that respect even if it is prone to scratching. I'd rather have a few scratches than face a costly screen repair, myself.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My device idle time is pretty good ..... The mAh consumed would have probably been less with the AOD turned off.

Screenshot_20160827-124100.png

Reactions: C7 POWER and Oohara

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I went with the Silver Gear 2 with white band, also just installed Samsung Pay Beta for it. The only watch faces I see you can download is from the Gear app?? I love the always on display and my Apple Watch can't touch what this allows and how it looks IMO.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I went with the Silver Gear 2 with white band, also just installed Samsung Pay Beta for it. The only watch faces I see you can download is from the Gear app?? I love the always on display and my Apple Watch can't touch what this allows and how it looks IMO.
If you go into the folder that says Samsung Apps, it actually takes you to Samsung's App Store. Once you're in there at the top of the screen there's are two tabs. One is for the phone apps and one is for Gear apps. You buy and load the watch faces via your phone. They will appear on your watch.
[doublepost=1472341970][/doublepost]Oh, I was reading on Android Central they warned a guy not to use a stock app that shuts down unused apps and clears memory. When you attach it as a widget it says "Device Maintenance" but apparently it's an app everyone there hates that they refer to as Clean Master. I'd been using it with no observable ill effects but I guess I'll stop.

I noticed though that it shut down Facebook for me. I do not even use that evil piece of poo anymore so I don't know what it was doing eating up resources on my phone. I tried to disable it using the standard tools but was told if I did I would just end up with the factory version. I need to get a voodoo doll and curse either AT&T or Samsung for allowing that miserable piece of dreck on my phone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Meh, if I didn't pay half price (BOGO) then I doubt I'd keep it. Incredible hardware, amazing to have that screen in such a small package. But I'm having continual issues with freezing and lag on both of mine. I also would have preferred a flat screen, as the curve IMO takes away screen size. It has a glare, and text and such look distorted, and you wouldn't want to write on that portion. I don't hate the curved screen at all, and do appreciate that it makes the phone more narrow, I just don't love it. Battery life has been a mixed bag, same as my Note 5 some days it's awesome and some days it's fairly bad, no rhyme or reason.

[doublepost=1472342741][/doublepost]
for those who came from the iPhone 6S (so not the Plus), was it a big change in grip/one-handed use?

really like to hear from you

My wife came from a regular 6, she had no qualms at all about the size. She is tiny, weighs 100lbs and has small hands. She actually went the opposite route and bought a leather flip case for it and loves it. I keep asking her if she is good since I have to sell her iPhone, she says she has no 2nd thoughts. The N7 is certainly larger, but it really fits well in the hand.

Reactions: Geert76

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I noticed though that it shut down Facebook for me. I do not even use that evil piece of poo anymore so I don't know what it was doing eating up resources on my phone. I tried to disable it using the standard tools but was told if I did I would just end up with the factory version. I need to get a voodoo doll and curse either AT&T or Samsung for allowing that miserable piece of dreck on my phone.

Just get Package Disabler and freeze FB ( or any app for that matter like Lookout! )

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Meh, if I didn't pay half price (BOGO) then I doubt I'd keep it. Incredible hardware, amazing to have that screen in such a small package. But I'm having continual issues with freezing and lag on both of mine. I also would have preferred a flat screen, as the curve IMO takes away screen size. It has a glare, and text and such look distorted, and you wouldn't want to write on that portion. I don't hate the curved screen at all, and do appreciate that it makes the phone more narrow, I just don't love it. Battery life has been a mixed bag, same as my Note 5 some days it's awesome and some days it's fairly bad, no rhyme or reason.

[doublepost=1472342741][/doublepost]

My wife came from a regular 6, she had no qualms at all about the size. She is tiny, weighs 100lbs and has small hands. She actually went the opposite route and bought a leather flip case for it and loves it. I keep asking her if she is good since I have to sell her iPhone, she says she has no 2nd thoughts. The N7 is certainly larger, but it really fits well in the hand.
Whoa...actual freezing? I wonder what's doing that to your N7s. I downloaded and installed three games from Amazon Prime tonight. I spent the past three hours playing one of them. It's a quest and puzzle game SOr of like King's Quest. I'm not sure how many people here are old enough to remember those King's Quest games on the old PCs. I'm talking about 25 years ago. So it's not a massively taxing game for the phone but that was a lot of screen on time and I still had 22% battery life left and this was after having the phone out and in use with a lot of S pen use since 8:00 am. So it was a good battery day for me.

I've decided not to use Package disabler just yet because I'm wondering if that causes issues. I'm taking a light hand about touching the bloat. I hide it and shut it off when I catch it doing something when it isn't even supposed to be running. I am keeping my number of apps down to levels I can easily manage.

My husband on the other hand...:rolleyes: ... just goes and installs whatever the heck appeals to him and he installed a lot. :eek: He ended up with this one app that caused ads to pop up like popcorn on his home screen. Well that's not a problem for him because he's spent his youth as a hacker and from there wrote software and from there designed entire systems, blah blah blah. He simply found the bad app and hacked the heck out of it. He told me what he did but it all went over my head. I think he ended up keeping the app, but he did something to it so it does his bidding and not what the developer intended.

Overall he is happy with his Note7 and having a lot of fun with it but he has his engineer's level dissatisfaction with how apps are written for it...or something. ???:confused:??? He speaks a nerdian dialect that I can't follow when he starts dissecting the pros and cons of Android devices. And he talks fast and he mumbles, always. Needless to say, Siri doesn't understand him too well, either. ;)

I think the reason I can follow a lot of the technical discussions on this site is because I can read and absorb it all at my own pace.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Whoa...actual freezing? I wonder what's doing that to your N7s. I downloaded and installed three games from Amazon Prime tonight. I spent the past three hours playing one of them. It's a quest and puzzle game SOr of like King's Quest. I'm not sure how many people here are old enough to remember those King's Quest games on the old PCs. I'm talking about 25 years ago. So it's not a massively taxing game for the phone but that was a lot of screen on time and I still had 22% battery life left and this was after having the phone out and in use with a lot of S pen use since 8:00 am. So it was a good battery day for me.

I've decided not to use Package disabler just yet because I'm wondering if that causes issues. I'm taking a light hand about touching the bloat. I hide it and shut it off when I catch it doing something when it isn't even supposed to be running. I am keeping my number of apps down to levels I can easily manage.

My husband on the other hand...:rolleyes: ... just goes and installs whatever the heck appeals to him and he installed a lot. :eek: He ended up with this one app that caused ads to pop up like popcorn on his home screen. Well that's not a problem for him because he's spent his youth as a hacker and from there wrote software and from there designed entire systems, blah blah blah. He simply found the bad app and hacked the heck out of it. He told me what he did but it all went over my head. I think he ended up keeping the app, but he did something to it so it does his bidding and not what the developer intended.

Overall he is happy with his Note7 and having a lot of fun with it but he has his engineer's level dissatisfaction with how apps are written for it...or something. ???:confused:??? He speaks a nerdian dialect that I can't follow when he starts dissecting the pros and cons of Android devices. And he talks fast and he mumbles, always. Needless to say, Siri doesn't understand him too well, either. ;)

I think the reason I can follow a lot of the technical discussions on this site is because I can read and absorb it all at my own pace.
What game was it you found? I'm always looking out for good games in that style. Old Sierra nerd checking in....best game experience of my life was probably finally killing Orat in Space Quest I on my Tandy 1000 EX with 256 k ram ;)

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014

I used package disable pro on note 5 and now my note 7 as long as you know what ya doing and don't disable a core system file your good to go. I have about 45 apps disabled without a hitch and tweaking as I go

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What game was it you found? I'm always looking out for good games in that style. Old Sierra nerd checking in....best game experience of my life was probably finally killing Orat in Space Quest I on my Tandy 1000 EX with 256 k ram ;)
This is the one I'm currently playing, but the publisher, Artifex Mundi, has more games with similar gameplay with different storylines. This one isn't as robust as I remember King's Quest being, because it's very linear and a wrong choice won't have you falling off a cliff or give alternative routes to a series of different endings depending on which choice you made at a pivotal moment. But having dialogue scenes and logic puzzles and hidden objects to find is similar. My fifty year old eyes have a little trouble with some of the hidden objects, but fortunately there's a partner on the journey who will provide hints when I really can't see.

I'm just not able to play fast action first person shooters anymore. Decades of clutching game controllers have wrecked my joints for that. This is more my style of game. It is sharpening up my brain, too.

This particular title doesn't appear to be available on the Apple App Store but that publisher has similar games on the App Store.

image.jpeg
[doublepost=1472403556][/doublepost]
I used package disable pro on note 5 and now my note 7 as long as you know what ya doing and don't disable a core system file your good to go. I have about 45 apps disabled without a hitch and tweaking as I go
I don't quite know what I'm doing yet but I'm getting there. :D

I can't wait to see my engineer nephew again. He has a Galaxy S7 from work and knew I was curious about it, but he thought his Auntie would never use anything but an iPhone. He's going to be so surprised! :D

Reactions: Oohara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.