Note 7 users : Keep it or return ?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by M5RahuL, Sep 2, 2016.

1. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

Are you guys returning it, or keeping it till the exchange unit comes in ?

Both my N7s are running great, except the occasional lag, so on one hand I don't wanna return it...but the thought of a possible satanic battery ( :p ) is concerning.

Your thoughts ?

2. Aneres11 macrumors 68000

Aneres11

I'm keeping mine until Samsung contact me with return details (they have my info and I'm in their 'queue', so).

I don't want anything else. It's hands down the best phone on the market and I'm happy to wait for Samsung to get newly manufactured units out to us as and when they're ready.
    It's a phone that's worth the wait IMO.

3. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

I agree, great device! Spoke with TMobile twice and, both times, the reps kept pushing me to return it asap!! hmm...

I really wish there were a way for Samsung to isolate what serial numbers are affected!

4. bgro macrumors 65816

Returning mine and getting the 7plus. Samsung's just not doing it for me on the QC end lately. And the lack of store support rears its ugly head When a situation like this happens

5. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

7plus ?

6. bgro macrumors 65816

The iPhone 7 plus or whatever the new name of the upcoming iPhone is

7. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

Ah..ok, cool.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I'm fine with waiting for a resolution. This is a great phone and I'm confident Samsung will take care of customers.

To be safe, I'll set it aside and continue to enjoy my Nexus 6P and other Android phones.

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Tonight is my 14 day return limit with Verizon, I'm tempted to return it. If I didn't do the BOGO I probably would, but even if I go with the iPhone at least I'll break even selling one on swappa. I always like to have a spare emergency phone around anyway, so I'm ok with just throwing it in a drawer.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple QC is lacking lately.

You may not be aware that Apple and Samsung don't build batteries, they buy them, blaming Samsung QC is a vacuous response.

I live in the Internet Era... Hand holding isn't appealing, I don't need a store to make me feel safe.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Keeping it until replacements are avalible. The odds are very low that my battery will explode between that time or if ever.

I won't be using my Gear VR until I get the replacement though.

12. bgro macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm not saying Apple is perfect by any means but Samsung's last two releasss have seen major issues with thebs7 active waterproofing fiasco and the Note 7 issues I'm staying away for now

13. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Mines working good but don't want to risk it.
    I bought off Swappa had to file a claim
    Just my luck.

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Since you live in the internet era, you should be able to find out that Samsung does indeed manufacture batteries. In fact, the faulty batteries at issue here are reported to have been manufactured by Samsung. The reason the Note7 launch in China hasn't been delayed is because phones for that market use batteries by a Chinese manufacturer.

Their response had been very swift, but frankly this is a monumental failure. Anything else but the batteries wouldn't be much of an issue. You just don't mess with the batteries. Clearly some shortcuts were taken and they're playing the price.

15. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I agree you can't take chances with batteries. Do you have a source for this? I'm curious to read more about what happened.

16. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Actually I read the were 2 different suppliers, and it was batteries from one particular supplier.

I'll definitely be using mine until the replacement plan is in effect. All this means for me now is to take off all the protection on the phone and go completely naked. This will be my real world testing in terms of scratches without protection. At least for the next 2 weeks.

17. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I am on the phone with Samsung now
    There not swapping out phones at this time
    There still investigating
    There using imei numbers and they are telling me mine is OK.
    Thought I would post this info

18. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

My Note 7 is working great. That said, when they get the stock, I will bring it into T-Mobile .

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

I'm not sure how a store would help here. It's likely that they have to manufacture new note 7's to replace the old ones. If they had them on hand they would just ship them to the carriers and your replacements would be ready in a few days.

However for the inconvenience customers now have the choice of what they want to do going forward which is nice. It's a win win for the customer.

20. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

At the very least, I recommend disabling fast charge ( both wired and wireless )

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I wonder if that means they noticed a pattern in a certain batch and not others. If that's the case, hopefully they will have a temp site open soon, where you can type in your imei number and see if your phone is possiblity affected.

22. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I called the 800 number
    Also had a text last night from ATT saying return my phone I bought it off swappa so ATT can't do anything unless it's from ATT

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I think the 14 day return period is extended until Sept. 30 on these models. With that said, I'll probably just get another Note unless the LG V20 is amazing.

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Do you think that extension applies if I purchased at Costco? I'll have to give them a call and find out. I have a love hate relationship with the N7, kind of like all the Note series but so far I've had the most issues with this one, that's saying a lot as I've only owned it for 2 weeks.