Note-Taking App for PPC and "above"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bobesch, Aug 19, 2016.

1. bobesch, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

After preparing an iBookG4 1.33 with an mSATA-upgrade for my son as a birthday present and for use at first-year student I've been looking for a comprehensive, non-distracting, all-in-one, fast and versatile note-taking app for PPC, which is capable of "handshaking" to it's intel-mac successors.
    I went through the whole thread of this very informative thread about OneNote substitutes on Mac ranging from 2004 to 2011 "What is the Mac equivalent to Microsoft OneNote?" http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-the-mac-equivalent-to-microsoft-onenote.426460/
    I checked and downloaded all the mentioned and available software, to see, what's still possible on PPC/Leopard.
    Here's an overview of the latest versions, that run on PPC/Leopard (for a lot of them I had to use the wayback-machine and getting/purchasing a license will need an individual request by email...)
    I'm just at the beginning to check and compare pros's and con's...

- Curio /zengobi (v.7.4.4)*
    - DEVONthinkPro (v.2.3.5)*
    - Evernote (v.2.2.3)
    - Journler (2.5.5) (-)
    - MacJournal (5.2.7) (?)
    - Notebook /CircusPonies (v.3.x) (?)
    - Pear Note (2.1.1)*
    - Scrivener (v.2.3)*
    - SOHO-Notes (v.9.3.6)*
    - Together (v.2.3.11) (?)
    - VoodooPad Lite/Standard/Pro (4.3.6)*
    - Word 2004/2008 (Notebook-Layout)
    - Yojimbo (3.0.3) (?)

*) still available/purchase via official homepage.
    (-) discontinued but website/download still working
    (?) still available via wayback-machine, but possibility of purchase only on email-request

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

If it's simple note taking, won't TextEdit suffice? It also has drag and drop for images, audio, video etc.

3. bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

It would be nice to keep things together in a kind of folder-style with different folders for different subjects.
    With TextEdit Finder could offer the structure of folders and Spotlight will help to search for stuff, but it lacks of a kind of "intelligent" groups that reorganzie stuff for certain purposes without moving the documents off their initial location.
    I guess DEVONthink does things fine for me. Same as "Togeter". With Together files can be located within Finder too - with DEVONthink everything disappears within a single container-file like with former iPhoto. I'm still a bit anxious to trust single-containers for my paperless-office, therefor I use Togeter for this purpose. But I started to put all my scanned journals as searchable PDFs into DEVONthink, which does the OCR-job nice and unobstrusive in the background.
    Getting back to my son's iBook, I guess he will mainly use pencil&paper for taking notes ... So maybe Evernote might be a nice solution because of it's text-recognition capacities even for hand-written documents.
    For myself I use iPhone with MentalNotes and BT-keyboard to take notes. It's simple to use and text, fotos and scetches can be combined in a time-line (but are able to be moved to another location).
    Maybe pencil&paper, the iPhone with Evernote plus Scannable and some other notetaking app plus BT-KB will make it on the long run and the iBook keeps sitting in the drawer ... ;) Never mind - it's good fun to look how get the best out of the old hardware.
    btw: how can you attach audio to TextEdit?

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I see...if organisation is key then yes, something more sophisticated is required.

Attaching audio, images and video is just drag and drop. Quicktime can be your audio/video recorder (with iSight or camera) if needed, the content can be linked or embedded.

5. bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

On the second look "simple" TextEdit with embedded images, audio and even video plus Finder and a hirarchie of folders in combination with Spotlight is as brilliant as simple! And the most versatile way to keep your stuff synched between all versions of OSX from Tiger up to El Capitan.
    That system will also hold nativ PDFs, images, videos etc. Files may be tagged (native or with the help of TagIt) and Intelligent-Folders would be made of "Alias" files.
    And everthing by means that are on-board of OSX from its beginnings.
    I'm really impressed after you've opened my eyes about these options.
    Looking at all the NoteTaking/Gathering Apps for OSX or iOS they just put together all these elements into a box with less or more different and convenient xtras but with the disadvantage of being locked into any special system/file-format/etc.
    Thanks for this inspiring point of view about TextEdit! :)

6. bobesch, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Tomboy

Just re-discovered TOMBOY today. http://www.mono-project.com/
    A cross-platform wiki-like text-only note-taking app based on .net framework achitecture.
    Needs "MONO" ("Mono is a software platform designed to allow developers to easily create cross platform applications part of the .NET Foundation.") http://www.mono-project.com/
    Lateste Mono for PPC can be downloaded here: http://download.mono-project.com/archive/2.10.2/
    I remember using it on Ubuntu a few years ago as a link between OSX, Linux and WinXP.
    Now I found it helpful to link OSX/PCC with OSX/intel.
    :)
    Tomboy.jpg

A really nice feature: if you change the header of any note, the corresponding you were asked if the hyperlink is to be renamed as well...

7. swamprock macrumors 6502

swamprock

I use xPad for a simple note-taking app. It's a universal binary and free as well, although it's no longer being maintained.

http://www.getxpad.com/

8. bobesch, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Fine - it can hold images too.
    Does it run on El Capitan?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    About Sync ...
    Here's an upgrade about synching PPC/MobileDevice/intelMacs

MacJournal: Sync works text-only, so images etc. stay on their respective source-database
    MJ v.5.x works on Tiger and Leopard. Synching with MJ for iOS is very easy to setup and runs fast. Both devices need to be in the same network (using the PPC a local hotspot unfortunately doesn't work out since iOS9 doesn't log into the PPC hotspot... :( )

SOHO Note: keeps text-files with embedded attachments and syncs fine with iOS9 (needs two separate Apps for both iPhone and iPad). Also works as a kind of fiie storage and viewer for PDF, images etc.
    "Handwritten" stuff can be created with e.g. Paintbrush and added with copy&paste, but after having the images pasted to a multipage document within SOHOnotes no further editing of that picture is possible.
    So far the most versatile option for PPC/iOS/intelMacs.