Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
How many have ditched the desktop for a macbook pro or macbook . I did and am desktopless and did the same for my 60 yo mother got rid of her sony viao desktop for macbook. how many others?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I ditched desktops altogether when I switched back to Mac in 2001. I wouldn't be averse to picking one up in the future, but for now, notebooks best fit my needs.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I ditched my desktop for a MBP. As a student I wouldn't consider anything else, but when I get out, I'd like to get something with a bigger screen (or just a bigger screen).

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
3 laptops and no desktops since 2004. No reason to change. Too easy to hook up to my 23 inch monitor. Bluetooth also makes it easy to use a standard keyboard without hassle.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Use only a MBP with external keyboard and mouse (wired) for gaming and such. I love the freedom of being able to pick up my PC, not counting the fact that it's already about 10x faster than my old 40 pound desktop.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I switched from a desktop pc to a PowerBook about 2 years ago. And now I want to ditch the desktop pc completely by getting a MacBook Pro (when the next revision is released) and run winxp through bootcamp on a 20GB partition (to play games). :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I use a 2.33 GHz Core 2 MBP as my day-to-day computer. It's much more powerful than my old G4 tower, and I have a Pro Keyboard and wired mouse for it.

I also own a G3 tower, but I rarely use it.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
( I remember this thread before, but I cant seem to find it. )

I use a powerbook, have since the Pismo model. Worked great though college. Cant live without one anymore. :D

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I ditched the desktop (eMac) for my MacBook Pro for college... and I'm thinking I may never own another desktop again. As I see it, I'll be using laptops with a possible external display when I'm not on the move.

toddster63

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2006
Sunny California Coast
I literally gave my "desktop" up--they dragged the whole black desk away last month and I have put in its place a large cage for a baby toucan I will be adopting this spring...

I love being on the computer while: in bed, on the couch, outside on the grass or the deck lounge chair, or over at friends, at work...

I wouldn't go back to a desk and "desktop"--ergonomic chair or not--for all the tea in China... Although I was in an Apple store last week, and the huge screen iMac was rather alluring. Who was it that said Never Say Never...?

My MacBook has literally changed my life...!

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I turned my old HP desktop into a server running Linux and use my MacBook as my primary computer. The HP just sits under a table with no monitor, keyboard, etc.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
I've been using a notebook as my only machine for the past six years. However, since I'm a student, I had to do some of the work on my uni's central servers. The new mbp is quite powerful, and as long as I don't go over the memory limit for my applications (I have 2G installed), it performs as fast as the central server (4-cpu AMD machine with 8G memory). Obviously, I wouldn't keep it running a job lasting the entire weekend.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Ditched my P4 1.7 GHz desktop i built myself for my MBP.. just use it to store personal stuff that's all.

2fives

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Surrey BC
My (used to be) main rig, a AMD 3700 is now pretty much reduced to a glorified downloading computer. My 15" MBP is used 99% of the time for everything I do. Man-o-man with bootcamp and the ability to run XP and OS X this thing rocks. Now if they just brought out 7200rpm 200 gig notebook drives.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
ditched my old windoze desktop and i have been on an apple laptop for the past 2 years now. never looked back

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I look forward to the day when I can ditch my desktop PC, but prices are too high and the technology still isn't quite there enough for me to switch over all of my gaming. The current MBP isn't powerful enough- an X1600 just doesn't have the power to run Oblivion or NWN 2 with some real eye candy.

With that said, however, I do more than 90% of my computing on my iBook. I even game on it quite a bit, be it Warcraft 3 (DotA FTW!), emulators, or World of Warcraft.

kerisimasi

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2006
My (used to be) main rig, a AMD 3700 is now pretty much reduced to a glorified downloading computer. My 15" MBP is used 99% of the time for everything I do. Man-o-man with bootcamp and the ability to run XP and OS X this thing rocks. Now if they just brought out 7200rpm 200 gig notebook drives.

do you have a link to the 7200 rpm 200GB MBP HD you are talking about? can t be bought separate?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Got a Pismo in 2000 and never looked back... I've since gotten an iBook G4 and now I'm using a MacBook.

I have considered getting a desktop of sorts, mostly as storage and backup server but the new Airport Extreme, with its wireless HD sharing capability, makes this less likely...

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Apart from a bunch of servers doing various 'servy' stuff, I have a MB as my primary, and an iBook as backup. The iBook is becoming a loaner for guests as time passes.

Have no need for a dedicated desktop. However, am drooling a bit over the Xserve........

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Been using mac desktops as well as PC desktops since LC II days. Always liked the idea of laptops, but it's only been recently that hardware has become comparable to desktop level (at reasonable cost). So my machine of choice is a 15" MacBook Pro, however as an early adopter I must say I was less than pleased with the quality of the early intel hardware. Nonetheless things seem to have smoothed out somewhat, and desktopless I am.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Switched from a desktop to an ibook 3 years back and have been desktopless ever since.

I have been thinking about getting a nice 20" or 24" iMac additionally to my 15" MBP but unless I travel less this does not make any sense. Especially also when syncing all the data is a huge hassle.

I might get a Mac mini though as a media server for an Apple tv. We'll see. If they could sync seamlessly it would be an easier decision. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.