Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Who's gonna provide their AppleID credentials to a third party so they can get iMessage on an Android phone?

The main issue with this, when you login, you're giving a third-party company your Apple ID credentials. And in addition to that, they can see every message you're sending and receiving through their hosted infrastructure which is acting as a man in the middle (MITM) between you and Apple's iMessage service.

It's a massive privacy issue and I don't think the convenience of having iMessage available is worth this security and privacy trade-off.

Sounds like a major security risk... All of your texts will go through.
If only Apple could do something that would eliminate this security risk… imagine instead of a sunbird servers doing this workaround, but Apple just allowed others to integrate imeo

Reactions: bobcomer

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
While giving your Apple ID credentials to a third party is the dumbest possible thing one can do, this is at least proof of concept that there's nothing stopping Apple from releasing a dedicate iMessage App for Android, which would get the EU off their backs about interoperability.
Unfortunately this doesn’t maintain E2E encryption because this is the best solution for anyone outside of Apple HQ who wants to allow iMessage to be interoperable.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Apple Legal won't like this one bit.
Ohy, wonder what they will do when they discover this.
Considering they have allowed it for a while

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorinut

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Not happy providing Apple ID login details to 3rd party apps. Wonder how many will use this

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
My best friends and I use Signal because before the last guy moved to iPhone he had an Android.

All iPhone users, still using a competing app. I like some features of iMessage better but Signal is mostly superior IMHO.
I know zero people who use Signal. I tried to switch to it but basically no one I knew was using it. I'm in Europe and everyone uses WA here and in South America. If iMessage launched on Android most Android users would install it and at some point I'd delete WA again. Apple missed a trick by not launching iMessage on Android years ago and focusing the entire company on building a robust cross-platform payments and group messaging network. If they had they would dominate mobile payments and messaging globally now. Instead they focused on the short-term gain of their walled garden. Cue wanted iMessage on Android and wanted Apple to acquire MGM. He doesn't get enough credit—Apple should have acquired MGM or they should have completely stayed out of making movies and TV Shows—I would have chosen the latter, but Cue's idea was better than messing around. Back to the topic at hand, a lack of vision regarding iMessage; short term blindness.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjs916 and Sorinut

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I guess you can always create a seperate throw-away icloud Apple ID to use for this. That way its not linked to all of your actual Apple icloud data.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the default messaging app on a given (android/iOS) phone can let one seamlessly text/chat/whatever with their given contacts (anyone with a phone number for example), why would it matter whether or not one of those contacts is using a different app to receive/reply to those texts/chats etc??

There really doesn't seem to be any substantive advantage between any of these apps/'standards' aside from differences in encryption and such

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Better question, what android user is going to bother to create an AppleID or they already have an AppleID, surely they have an iPhone?

Many people who use android phones also have a mac or an ipad and so they have an apple id for those devices even though they don’t have an iphone. To assume that anyone who has an apple id must own an iphone or that users of android phones can’t be interested in apple products other than the iphone and thus still have an apple id are both pretty bad assumptions.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Many people who use android phones also have a mac or an ipad and so they have an apple id for those devices even though they don’t have an iphone. To assume that anyone who has an apple id must own an iphone or that users of android phones can’t be interested in apple products other than the iphone and thus still have an apple id are both pretty bad assumptions.

You can make an Apple ID without having ever owned any Apple products.. Parents have one so they can buy things on Apple to stream to their Roku.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Calm down, Satan.
"Hmm... could it be SATAN?!"
EHLUTltX4AAyfcJ.jpg

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
The main issue with this, when you login, you're giving a third-party company your Apple ID credentials. And in addition to that, they can see every message you're sending and receiving through their hosted infrastructure which is acting as a man in the middle (MITM) between you and Apple's iMessage service.

It's a massive privacy issue and I don't think the convenience of having iMessage available is worth this security and privacy trade-off.
True.

Unpopular opinion: If Apple truly cared about everyone's privacy, they would make iMessage available on Android (or at least adopt RCS into iOS) so people wouldn't even have to think about jumping through these hoops.

But Apple is just a business. And Tim is hell-bent on squeezing every last dime out of potential customers.

Reactions: dba415

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
You can make an Apple ID without having ever owned any Apple products.. Parents have one so they can buy things on Apple to stream to their Roku.

Yeah I know, but the person I quoted doesn’t seem to know that and thinks everyone who has an apple id must have an iphone.

Reactions: Sorinut

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
True.

Unpopular opinion: If Apple truly cared about everyone's privacy, they would make iMessage available on Android (or at least adopt RCS into iOS) so people wouldn't even have to think about jumping through these hoops.

But Apple is just a business. And Tim is hell-bent on squeezing every last dime out of potential customers.

We could argue that it's not up to Apple what others do though. It's like where does this end, banks should give out free money to stop robberies that endanger patrons' lives.

Apple should just police this better so third parties cannot login to your account from a datacenter address in my opinion.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
That's not at all the message conveyed by your original post, so you should probably reread it yourself and edit accordingly. You accuse Apple of "exposing private information to a MITM," which makes no sense considering that users are willingly providing their login credentials to this service.

Discussion over. :cool:

RealE

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2023
And after signing in, a Mac Mini becomes associated with your account on Apple’s Devices website.

Danny Mizrahi, founder and CEO of Sunbird Messaging, is a bit cagey about how this works, but implies that the company is not simply assigning one Mac desktop to each user.

Thank you for sharing this. The Sunbird website doesn't offer any information about how it actually works. Though they claim to be adding Signal (among other messaging platforms) to the app in the future. How they'll make that work without breaking the encrypted and private nature of Signal is also a mystery.

Reactions: SpringKid

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
For added context, Nothing Chats were not end-to-end encrypted and everything was being sent and stored as plaintext http. Sunbird, the provider that the app is based on, has access to all messages and attachments sent over the app by abusing the error-logging framework, by logging the entire message content and metadata as error content.

Nothing's official statement said that they pulled the beta due to "several bugs" but did not disclose the fact that users who signed in on their app may have had their private chats exposed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.