Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
It's so funny reading all the complaints: It doesn't do this. It won't do that. This doesn't work. That doesn't work. Where is this ? I don't see anything new. People just need to chill.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
It's so funny reading all the complaints: It doesn't do this. It won't do that. This doesn't work. That doesn't work. Where is this ? I don't see anything new. People just need to chill.

people open an app and don't see what they expect.

Instead of exploring the app more or researching themselves, they create a thread here like 5 year old hand holders.

Please for the love of God learn to explore and don;t be impatient.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
These kiddies don't understand that an x.0 release may still have a problem or two that needs to be ironed out.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Change is hard :D

Or...

- Apple haven't switched on iCloud Photo Library for a lot of people.
- Apple removed all HealthKit compatible apps from the App Store due to a last minute critical bug.
- Third party keyboards have a half assed implementation (no dictation; apps don't slide up when they pop open).
- iCloud Drive is stunted without a standalone app.
- There are bugs galore.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Or...

- Apple removed all HealthKit compatible apps from the App Store due to a last minute critical bug.
- Third party keyboards have a half assed implementation (no dictation; apps don't slide up when they pop open).
- There are bugs galore.
exactly!

i'm not getting this iCloud drive thing with the photos at all. I see how it works and there is apparently not an app....but totally confused on the picture stuff

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
On the surface it didn't look like ANYTHING changed. Then if you dig there are a couple things.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Or...

- There are bugs galore.

people have to switch on the library
the healthkit will be back at the end of this month
swiftkey is working amazingly well for me at least
icloud drive is a service, not an app.
all new releases have bugs

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
exactly!

i'm not getting this iCloud drive thing with the photos at all. I see how it works and there is apparently not an app....but totally confused on the picture stuff

Every picture you take will be automatically uploaded in full res to iCloud and then deleted from your device, and only a thumbnail will remain on all of your devices unless you specifically download a full resolution picture.

On the surface it didn't look like ANYTHING changed. Then if you dig there are a couple things.

There's a heck of a lot of changes but you're going to have to wait for third party apps to be updated to take advantage of the new features.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Every picture you take will be automatically uploaded in full res to iCloud and then deleted from your device, and only a thumbnail will remain on all of your devices unless you specifically download a full resolution picture.

There's a heck of a lot of changes but you're going to have to wait for third party apps to be updated to take advantage of the new features.

but you can't see the pics on iCloud.com? I created a folder in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com and put a few pics in it...how am i supposed to see it on my iPhone or iPad?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

- There's no option to switch on the library.
- Great. I had an app that was working with it earlier but it seems Apple cocked it up somehow.
- Same, much better than the default keyboard, but the problems I mentioned are present with SwiftKey.
- I know, that's my point. You still have to go into an app which supports editing a certain document type rather than being able to go into a central file repository and choose to open a file from there. Also, why the hell doesn't mail allow you to attach files from iCloud Drive? Missing the point Apple!
- Not as many as this!

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Or...

You do it yourself
- Apple removed all HealthKit compatible apps from the App Store due to a last minute critical bug. Rather have apps not running right?
- Third party keyboards have a half assed implementation (no dictation; apps don't slide up when they pop open).Dictation up to the dev
- iCloud Drive is stunted without a standalone app. Why do you need a standalone app? You see what you need to see in the cloud based on the app you're using.
- There are bugs galoreWelcome to ANY software release.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
but you can't see the pics on iCloud.com? I created a folder in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com and put a few pics in it...how am i supposed to see it on my iPhone or iPad?

I think iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library are different features.

You would have to use an app which allows you to edit photos and supports iCloud Drive in order to access those photos I believe.

I would have thought iPhoto would be a good candidate for that, but Apple disabled it without warning in this update. :mad:

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Wont be able to do that until Yosemite gets released. Photos app on iOS gives access to only photos from another iOS device.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I guess since I have used every beta and I am used to it I take it for granted.....But its running awesome for me! haha

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Wont be able to do that until Yosemite gets released. Photos app on iOS gives access to only photos from another iOS device.

what does Yosemite have to do with it? I can understand if i'm putting files into a folder on Yosemite....but i'm just on a random windows 7 machine in the browser

----------

I think iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library are different features.

You would have to use an app which allows you to edit photos and supports iCloud Drive in order to access those photos I believe.

I would have thought iPhoto would be a good candidate for that, but Apple disabled it without warning in this update. :mad:

seems pretty pointless. Why are they selling iCloud drive like it's a dropbox competitor?

You have to have a computer to load the files and you can't view files on an iPad or iPhone...how pointless

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

- Can't switch it on because there's no option to do so for me and a lot of other people. There are still options for photo stream but not for iCloud Photo Library. Check the forum; I'm not alone in this.
- Nope, but they've been beta testing this OS for months. Doesn't fill me with confidence that a critical bug was found only on day of release.
- Nope, third party keyboards can't access the built in iOS dictation.
- Precisely. Sometimes it's better to go to the file first and then decide which app you want to use to edit it in.
- No sir, I used iOS 1 and 2, then took a break, then I've used every version since iOS 5 and THIS is the buggiest release by far.

----------

what does Yosemite have to do with it? I can understand if i'm putting files into a folder on Yosemite....but i'm just on a random windows 7 machine in the browser

----------

seems pretty pointless. Why are they selling iCloud drive like it's a dropbox competitor?

You have to have a computer to load the files and you can't view files on an iPad or iPhone...how pointless

All of my Pages and Numbers documents are in iCloud Drive and they're only on my iPad and iPhone so it seems like iOS devices can put files in the cloud.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
- Can't switch it on because there's no option to do so for me and a lot of other people. There are still options for photo stream but not for iCloud Photo Library. Check the forum; I'm not alone in this.
- Nope, but they've been beta testing this OS for months. Doesn't fill me with confidence that a critical bug was found only on day of release.
- Nope, third party keyboards can't access the built in iOS dictation.
- Precisely. Sometimes it's better to go to the file first and then decide which app you want to use to edit it in.
- No sir, I used iOS 1 and 2, then took a break, then I've used every version since iOS 5 and THIS is the buggiest release by far.

----------

All of my Pages and Numbers documents are in iCloud Drive and they're only on my iPad and iPhone so it seems like iOS devices can put files in the cloud.

yeah i see that. don't understand why apple cares so much about documents and let's the picture thing slide completely. i don't care about documents....i have a huge picture library i want to load

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
While IOS8 seems to be pretty smooth for me, people should always have the right to complain it's part of a customers right. Big businesses rarely do much unless they get lots of complaints about something. While it may annoy you it's still something that can be valuable for good customer service.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

How do you turn on icloud photo library:rolleyes:

I can't see it on my device

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I decided to sell my 6 and keep my 5. I will never own a non-JB iPhone again. All these new Apple releases are mega buggy. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.