Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudyrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
just ordered the 2.53 mbp 4gb 320gb 7200 rpm. think i should have splurged on the 2.8 for the extra 300? most gaming ill do is like micrsoft flight simulator X with everything maxed out. lol i hope u guys can make me feel good about my purchase.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
A 2.53GHz processor should be good enough for any type of gaming. And the 7200rpm HD will also help some with the game loading speed. I think you made the right decision.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
just ordered the 2.53 mbp 4gb 320gb 7200 rpm. think i should have splurged on the 2.8 for the extra 300? most gaming ill do is like micrsoft flight simulator X with everything maxed out. lol i hope u guys can make me feel good about my purchase.

If you really want speed, then swap out that HDD and get an SSD; otherwise a 270 MHz won't be noticeable.

Airbase

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
With a processor of that caliber, you're going to need a much faster GPU(video card) before the CPU becomes a bottleneck. The macbook pro does not have a video card like that...

long story short, when it comes to games and their hardware needs, your CPU is significantly faster than your GPU(in that context anyway)

You made the right choice.

Fgozalo

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Brasília, Brazil
And what about getting the "basic" MBP, is that a good enought choice for gaming too? Does that extra 256mb in the GPU makes any "REAL" difference?!

OngL

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
After having issues with high temperature of MBP Unibody in high CPU usage over period of time, I think it's best to stick with 2.53. The battery life of 5 hours are not happening as well, I got only 2-3 hours for a month old MBP, having higher CPU will only shorten the battery life.

I personally felt regret to have paid over 400$ difference to upgrade form 2.4" to 2.53" base model, but I am paying for GPU memory which is not upgradeable. The meagre upgrade on CPU and HDD is not worth the money.

However, the 17" is only 200$ different from 15.4" 2.53Ghz. That's a worthy upgrade to pay for...

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I went the 2.53 route because the 2.8 is going to kick out more heat, use up more battery and not give a really noticeable improvement in performance in day-to-day tasks.

Upgrading other elements, such as the hard drive, have a far bigger impact on performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.