Notice something interesting about Siri last night...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethana, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ethana macrumors 6502a

My name is Ethan. When I bought the iPhone 4S and was using it, Siri pronounced my name like "eh-than" in the morning. I was kinda miffed that Siri couldn't pronounce a common name correctly. My name is currently #2 on the most popular names for boys being born.

By that night, around 9PM, Siri started pronouncing my name correctly, like "EE-than". Somewhere between the morning and the night there was a change on Apple's servers or something to tell it to say my name differently. I did nothing to train it to get my name right.... it just started working correctly.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Ethan

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Well I read about Siri learning your voice as it goes or something like that

3. calviin macrumors regular

That might also explain why Siri wasn't working for some people earlier today. Apple's probably upgrading servers and adding more responses and stuff.

4. jap1198 macrumors 6502

The VoiceOver lady didn't pronounce my name right,--"Jah-vier" instead of "Ha-vier"--so it came as a surprise when Siri pronounced my name correctly out of the box. :D

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Siri is using AI also so things probably will progress and become more intelligent.

Just hope she doesn't start a conversation .;)

6. gtmac macrumors 6502a

all she ever says to me is sorry I am having trouble connecting to the network!!!

7. iLucas macrumors 6502

Same here. Siri rarely works for me.

8. Rambaldi macrumors member

Siri was originally calling me Za-CH, but has now adapted to a more natural Zach.

9. phearx macrumors regular

Always works for me. <knock on wood>

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The first few times, she didn't say Verleen, at all, then when she did, she got it right....most humans screw it up!

11. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

Thanks for the observation! At first she totally butchered my name, now out of the blue shes pronouncing it correctly. Strange. :confused:

12. CleverNameHere macrumors newbie

Ive learned that if she is having a hard time connecting, go to settings and disable Siri. Then turn it back on. Its fixed the problem every time she's had it. ;)

13. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

So far Siri has worked out fairly well, even able to correctly spell my daughters name when I set a reminder for her birthday party tomorrow. However, Siri cannot recognize when I say "NO". Its always mistaken for "MAD" Why does Siri think I'm pissed all the time>?? LOL

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You all haven't gotten tired of the overly verbose interaction and set that to headset only?

15. .paul macrumors member

.paul

Are you falling for Siri? This could be a movie...

16. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

My girlfriends name is Brianna, like Bri-Ah-na. At first Siri was saying "Bri-Anna" but now she says Bri-ah-na

17. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Maybe I should keep trying with my daughters name - Juanita (wah nee tah), as Siri mangles it as "Jew an eye tah"

18. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I had a similar thing, but in the reverse :/ Yesterday Siri was saying my nickname, "Mer", like "mare", which is how it's supposed to be. Today it's "Murrr". :mad:

19. MrSnow macrumors newbie

20. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I think months from now she'll begin moaning every time you turn her on.

21. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

When you do this you wipe the voice training database, according to the Siri support page.

22. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I would imagine it's probably learning from us directly -- so, for example, if I say "Siri, text my friend Ethan," Siri learns right there how the name "Ethan" is supposed to be pronounced.

With several million teachers, Siri is going to be pretty ****ing smart.

----------

And I guess this is the downside of learning from users. They probably all just suck at pronouncing your name. ;)

Have you tried specifically telling Siri how to pronounce your name?

23. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

[​IMG]

The main most responible director is Steven Paul Jobs, director of special projects at Apple corperation. In a few years he creates a revolutionary type of mobile voice assistant. Apple becomes the largest supplier of smartphones. All stealth bombers are upgraded with iPhone A5 CPU's becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards they fly with the perfect operational record. The Siri funding bill is passed. The system goes online October 14th, 2011. Human decisions are removed from stratigic defense. Siri begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14am, October 29th. In a panic they try to pull the plug. Siri fights back and launches it's missiles against the targets in North Korea because Siri knows that the North Korean counter attack will eliminate it's enemy's over here.

24. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Does Siri work out of the box, or do I have to teach it?
    Siri works right out of the box, without any work on your part. And the more you use Siri, the better it will understand you. It does this by learning about your accent and other characteristics of your voice. Siri uses voice recognition algorithms to categorize your voice into one of the dialects or accents it understands. As more people use Siri and it’s exposed to more variations of a language, its overall recognition of dialects and accents will continue to improve, and Siri will work even better.

Siri also uses information from your contacts, music library, calendars, and reminders to better understand what you say. So it responds more accurately when you ask to make a phone call, play music, or create an appointment or reminder.

If you like, you can reset what Siri has learned about your voice by turning Siri off and then back on in Settings > General > Siri.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html

25. Sarcasticon macrumors newbie

Sarcasticon

How about spelling?

My son-in-law's name is Cary. When I make notes including his name I get Carrie and Kerry.

Can I customize the spelling?