Noticeable backlight bleed? What do you think?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PrincessMelody, Mar 17, 2012.

1. PrincessMelody macrumors member

So I noticed a light spot on the lower right while watching a video. I took the photo on 100% brightness in a dark room with the HDR setting on the iPhone.

What you you experts think? It's my first iPad, and I did notice it in use, rather than to go looking for problems. Is it enough to exchange, or do you guys think it's acceptable?

Thanks for your help. :)

[​IMG]

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

If you noticed it in use then I would say it is defiantly a problem. I would exchange it, Apple store should give you a BRAND NEW iPad. Do no be Q/C for Apple.

3. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Return it and get a new unit.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. dread macrumors 6502a

Mine is about the same and compared with the Ipad 2 I had last launch day that is definitely acceptable. There is barely any bleed and it is probably not visible at a normal brightness level.

6. PrincessMelody thread starter macrumors member

So that's two votes to exchange, and two to keep. Any other thoughts?

Thanks to the posters who took the time to reply so far. :)

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I say do whatever you want. If you don't like it, exchange it for a new one. If you can deal with it and it isn't really much of an issue to you, than keep it. When you take it in are you going to say people on MacRumors thought you should return it or are you going to say that YOU want to return it?

8. johndoe588 macrumors regular

You say that's 100% on the brightness? I think it looks pretty darned good. I wouldn't exchange it, but you're the one who has to be happy with it.

9. Djay1 macrumors member

Based upon your photo I would find it acceptable.

10. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Do you always look at your iPad in a dark room, brightness up on a black screen?

11. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

You mean you don't??? :D

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502

If you noticed it during normal use, then I think you should exchange it.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If that picture was 100% brightness in a dark room, how noticeable could it be during "normal use"?

You have 14 days from purchase to return it no questions asked. After that, if I were an Apple Genius, I would not exchange it for another one. That iPad is just fine.

14. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

LOL:p

15. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

is all ipads like this i just swapped mine out today and i still got one that bleeds here are my pics what do you think??

Attached Files:

16. bwrairen macrumors 6502

She said she noticed it while watching a video. I'm just going by what the OP said.

17. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bother honestly, that seems about average and you could as easily get a worse one as a better one. Will they let you just keep doing it?

I had worse than that on 2 and it didnt bother me.

That said, its enough that you are justified in returning if you want to.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I know, but look at it at 100% brightness in a dark room. It looks fine! If anything, it would be less noticeable at 50% brightness with a movie playing... :confused:

19. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I think that's normal. On max brightness in a dark room, I have slight bleed like that too. I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. If everything else is fine, I think you're asking for trouble if exchanging... might get a replacement with dead pixels or really noticeable bleed under normal brightness.

20. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Now this is bad... I would be running to the store :(

21. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. It makes that corner of the screen look red. I also have a gradient of yellow running down the opposite side of the screen.

I called Apple this evening and they are sending me a replacement.

22. PrincessMelody thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your replies. This being my first iPad, I just wanted the opinions of more seasoned users in order to determine if this is something concerning enough to warrant exchanging for another one.

It is not hugely noticable, and considering that this iPad has no dead pixels, no funny colored screen, and no scratches or other issues, it seems like it is a keeper. I'll keep an eye on it and decide for sure over the next few days.

Thanks again for the opinions and thoughts! :)

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think if it bothers you, you should return it and wait a couple months for the issues to be worked out before purchasing again.

There are a few points where QC can be an issue. Obviously any device has a range of tolerance including the panel testing devices used. Sometimes early in a manufacturing cycle you could have a slightly flawed method of testing and a lot of units that are just barely within spec, making for a bad combination. It's happened with other displays, including those used by Apple. The entire thing can be quite complex, but this kind of thing isn't new.

If I may offer a suggestion, if you want to take it back, I'd wait a couple months for the issues to be worked out rather than hope to be lucky. Remember that "all" displays to drift over time, so things can come up later too. Backlight bleed isn't something that will go away after a burn in type phase. I would just ask yourself objectively if it's going to bother you rather than building up a slow resentment for the device. I've purchased plenty of things like that where I later avoid using them rather than return them initially.

24. PrincessMelody thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that insight. I understand that exchanging, especially at this early juncture could possibly yield a unit with more screen issues than mine has, and possibly even other issues that mine does not have.

This is something I believe I can live with. I don't feel like I would become less happy or excited over time about my new iPad just due to this issue. As long as it doesn't get worse! ;)

25. maclook macrumors 65816

It looks like you have an individual spotlight for your docked icons in landscape mode.