Noticeable difference between hires and std glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glocke12, Apr 15, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Aside from more screen real estate which is not that important to me, will i really notice the difference between std and hi res glossy in the 15" MBP ?

I am coming from a late 2007 core 2 2.2 ghz system that I mostly used for photoshop work, email, web surfing and for watching movies once in awhile, so I think for me the deciding factor comes down to will the the hires display have a significant enough difference over the std display on my photos?

2. silversx macrumors regular

if you use photoshop you need a hi res or hihi res or if possible get the higherer res..

for 100 bucks (5% of price) is there even a question? i laugh at those who bought the low res 15..

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I hardly think you can call 1400x900 "low res." By it's very definition its greater than HD, which is, at a minimum, 1028x720.

4. SonicEarth macrumors member

I bought the standard def 15" and I think it looks great.

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

ok...let me rephrase this.

For editing and viewing photos will i notice a major difference between the hi res screen compared to the std?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In a spread, you'll be able to see more pictures on the high res and when viewing individual pictures, you can also see more of the pixels.

7. moel macrumors 6502

Realistically no.

It's a nice too than a need to, and if your a pro you'd be working on a massive monitor anyway, and not the internal screen.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but will seeing more pixels be equal to viewing a significantly sharper image? I was at the apple store last night trying to see if I could detect a difference between images on the two displays but was not really able to.

Obviously im not a pro, but more of a serious hobbyist.

9. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Higher res would be more suited for photo editing (Aperture, Ps), first of all you have a bigger 'canvas' to work with. Meaning; the controls and palettes would take up less space.

I am not sure about this but I would hazard a guess that the higher ppi of the high-res display can be nothing but good for displaying images, meaning yes, they would be sharper.

10. Z1NX macrumors member

Was it the glossy high-res version that was at the Apple Store? Where was this store? I've been calling EVERYWHERE and no stores have them on display/in stock.

11. Dcuellar macrumors regular

I was very happy that my local Apple store had an anti-glare HR 15" on display. I noticed a great difference. Definitely worth it. I really wanted a glossy screen though, so I had to order.

12. Dave S macrumors newbie

Sorry, just to clarify, what was definitely worth it, you preferred the anti-glare but had to buy a glossy? Just asking because I may not get to a shop that has both. Thanks, Dave.

13. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

I believe they mean high res made a big difference.

14. Dave S macrumors newbie

Yes, thanks, that makes sense. Dave.

15. psingh01 macrumors 65816

In general terms yes. Your screen/display is made of millions of pixels. Each one produces a color. In combination with the rest of your pixels it produces an image (when you look at them together).

A higher res screen has smaller pixels for the same physical area. More pixels means you can see more details.

In general a small picture will just seem smaller lol. But a big picture will look great! Not to mention you might be able to see the whole thing without zooming out so much in photoshop.

16. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Poster "Sneakz" put these images up on another thread;

Web Browsing (Equal size windows)
    [​IMG]

Side by Side Productivity
    [​IMG]

This is a topic that will probably be talked to death over the next month. Personally I'm going for standard res as I've got a 1920x1200 display if I need it and for day-to-day tasks like web use I don't like the tiny images/type.

17. lily69 macrumors regular

I bought std one too and fairly happy.
    Although hi res is nice in displaying pictures, std res is ease on the eyes for text size etc.

18. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thanks that helps alot. Hard to say but I dont think my eyes would forgive me for using a display like that with small icons.

Plus, I DO have a 27" imac which has a resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels, so I guess in terms of hi-res Im probably pretty good.

19. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

Exact reason why i got the standard screen for my wife. I looked at both side by side and more pixels made it more
    difficult to read and type text. In fact I needed to zoom in to see better, which defeats the purpose. For me it was not a matter of money and being a dumb consumer. I made a choice that fits my
    wifes needs...

20. anarchron macrumors member

I bought myself a standard resolution screen. I figured for the extra $100, I could use that money for an awesome external Dell Ultrasharp screen.

In addition, I'm moving up from the 13' where the default font on XCode was really small and hard to read. I find the default font size now to be pleasantly readable on my new screen thanks to a lower pixel density.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In terms of pixel density, the standard res 15" has the same ppi as the 27" and 30" displays.

22. eazyc10 macrumors member

Personal preference for me. Higher res = better experience as you can fit more on the screen.

Small text does not bother me, however maybe in 30 years i'll sing a different tune.

23. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Haha, yeah, the iMac is about as hi-res as you are going to get. I'm not sure that I could do the hi-res screen, because I use a 20" display with 1680x1050 and it displays items at a good size, but I think the same resolution with a display 5" smaller would hurt. If it is anything like the screen on the 17" MBP, I couldn't stand text so small.

24. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I have done high res on other laptops and choose NOT to have it on my new i7. I do alot of photoshop and the 18mp of my M9 is lkooking might good.

Things can get way too small with high res but then that may not bother some.

25. gooter80 macrumors member

I'm still trying to decide and having one hell of a time with it. I am currently using a 13" with a resolution of 1600x900 and it is quite small. I have a feeling the hi-res on the 15" MPB will be significantly larger than this, but I want to see it first.