Notification Center, Frequent Location Information

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by wazman21, Aug 7, 2013.

1. wazman21 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering how much attention people are paying to the "Right now it would take X minutes to drive to Y" stuff in Notification Center...

I recently moved house, and my iOS7 Beta kept telling me to go to my old suburb when leaving work. I like the feature, but that bugged me in an OCD kinda way. I cleared the history of my "Recent Locations" in Privacy settings, but now even after 2 weeks, Notification Center still won't tell me the travel info to frequent destinations (ie Work, Home).

Does anyone have any knowledge of what the frequency of a location being visited over what time period is required to trigger the feature in Notification Center? Any observations regarding how long it takes to pick up your locations?

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Maybe old data its making the problem ? If you deleted the history you should make a report, might be a bug and if you havent turn off the option, restart phone and turn the option back on.

I have the option turned off anyway because it never gave any info plus gps was constantly working.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did you change your home address for yourself on contacts?

4. BuckedUp154 macrumors newbie

I have my address saved in the contact that is used to identify yourself, for Siri purposes etc.. I thought that was how it figured your home location.

I.E. When you tell Siri to take you home, if your address is not entered into your personal contact information, Siri will tell you that there is no address listed for you.

I could be wrong, but check your contact info.

5. twentworth12 macrumors newbie

Not working for me either.

When I go into the frequent locations settings under Privacy, it is properly tracking my home and work locations but I'm not seeing any information on the notification screen. This did work for me in earlier betas.

6. wazman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have definitely updated my "Home" address in contacts - in location tracking it even notes that I have been "Home" x amount of times in the last 2 weeks, and I usually travel to and from at the same times most days (as do most 9-5 schmucks, I'm guessing).

7. wazman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Today frequent locations and travel time began showing for my drive home - it took 23 visits to the location for this to begin appearing for what it's worth (or given that I would have cleared locations on a Wednesday, the same trip on 4 consecutive Fridays, for example).

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Glad to hear it's finally working for you! :cool:

9. jutte64 macrumors regular

you could have just gone into your settings, cleared the recent location data, given it two days and it would have been working fine.

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Not true. I've tried that, and it took over two weeks for it to start working. Definitely not two days. And even now, its still intermittent (it will sometimes show my drive home from work, but still isn't showing my drive to work from home in the morning).

11. BlankStar macrumors regular

You need to make your iphone check it's gps-location on the location you want it to register. Open maps, or foursquare, etc.

Everytime the little gps-arrow shows up in the statusbar your location and time are logged. The more it's logged, the faster your iPhone will know your habbits.

12. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I do. I use Apple Maps on my commute to/from work every day for almost three weeks now. Wednesday was the first day it ever worked for me, for my commute home from work. I've never had it come up for the morning commute, and it didn't show me anything for yesterday's commute home again.

13. BlankStar macrumors regular

weird, it works like a charm here...

Always telling me the time to drive home or to work, depending on the day and place I am.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

I recently got my iPhone swapped for a new one, and after a fresh install of iOS 7 it took about two weeks to start showing that information.

15. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

Mines awesome! tell me 30mins before I leave for work exactly how long it will take me and also end of day as well.

One Fridays I go to a certain place to eat and it said it will take you 4mins to get to "so and so"... in the middle of the day.

Awesome but scary and IOS knows where u are going and when etc...

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't even get that information in notification center with everything turned on.

17. macsmurray, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

macsmurray macrumors member

My NC tells me every day that it will take me around 4hrs 30mins to travel to and from work. It's a 35 minute drive at the most. Let's just say I don't take any notice of it.

18. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Mine is usually pretty good about telling me how long it will take to get home... Since I work from home there is no one location I go to every day for it to track. One day around dinner time, it did automatically tell me how long it would take to drive to McDonald's. :mad: I don't eat there that often. :rolleyes:

19. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Lol.