Notification Light?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impact_blue, Jun 8, 2010.

1. impact_blue macrumors regular

[​IMG]

It might be the angle of the shot, but what's this green light the ear piece? I'm really hoping for notification light. I hate having to keep turning off/on the screen just to see if I missed a call or have a txt/email/ect.. You'd think Apple would seamlessly double up on the video camera LED as a notification light. But after watching the demo there was a no green light indicating the camera was on during Steve and Jony's facetime. Whacha think?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no notification light. Give up. It's not happening.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

One thing to remember is that Apple is notorious for including many extra features of their hardware and software that is not always documented in a main-stream sense.

5. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Would be nice, but not gonna happen any time soon.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry but that's not a notification light, besides it there was to be a notification light wouldn't apple find a location that actually makes sense.

7. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure if the iPhone community gave up on demanding MMS,Push, & a front facing camera they all wouldn't of happen either =P

8. McBeats macrumors 6502a

yea thats not a notification light...

but you DO have a huge notification light on the iphone 4....
    the friggin screen!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really. Once the screen is off and locked there's no way to tell if you missed calls/txts/emails.

With my Nexus One, The track ball glows various colors to indicate just that. Is it a crucial feature, no but its a nice feature and apple is generally known for adding/polishing the little things. This is a miss on their part.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    That thing is visible in any shot of a white iphone. Don't believe me? go to the gallery shots on apple.com.

But yeah I think it's just a sensor that is easily seen only on a white setting.

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Uh .. yea, your iphone will ring/vibrate/notify you as many times as you tell it to to remind you that you've missed a call/text/voicemail.

All you have to do is click the sleep button and if you have any of the above it will show on the lock screen.

13. angevil macrumors regular

creepy :p

14. turugara macrumors regular

This.

It's nice to know whether you have a missed call, email, or SMS just by the color of the glow. Plus you can tell even when the phone is far away since the colors are so distinct.

15. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

i had an android phone and the notification light was annoying as ****. every time i looked at my phone the thing was blinking green or yellow or blue. there was rarely a moment when the thing was off because whenever you get an email or message or app alert, they send out notifications.

trust me, the iphone's lack of notification light is a good thing. is it really that hard for you to tap the home button and have the screen quickly show you what you missed, then automatically turn back off if you dont unlock it? no it isnt. this way you can check things at your own leisure, rather than your phone constantly bothering you with flashing lights.

16. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I had this feature on an old HTC 4 years ago, and absolutely loved it....

I could tell at a glance if my phone was off or had simply run out of battery, if I had a text, email, missed call...without turning my phone on, or without having to wander over to where I'd left it and have a look.

and there was the option to turn it off for those people that didn't want to be disturbed by a flashing light.

Surely, thats the best way...give you the features and then alow you to disable it? this then covers both camps...those that want it and those that don't

17. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I see it. Hell I even tweaked the image for others to see.

Attached Files:

18. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

19. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

You sir clearly have no clue wtf you're talking about. The benefit of the notification light is so you know if you've received a message WITHOUT having to wake the phone. If you have a message it blinks. For you not to see the benefit of that is almost laughable.

20. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Even if it were "annoying" to you, most people would love this feature. And if you didn't want it, there should also be an option to simply turn it off (like there is with Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile etc.). That way, it appeases and appeals to everyone.

21. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

+1

Agreed Apple would allow an option.

22. sleyeu macrumors 6502

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I did notice that on the screen behind Steve at the keynote, had call event notifications listed.

24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

This has been my #1 request since the first iPhone!
    One can only HOPE!

25. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Can you give an example?