Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
16.3 didn’t resolve anything regarding the loud notification when on a phone call. Switching , the slider doesn’t effect the volume at all anymore unless set to zero. Major bummer. Doubt it’ll ever get fixed.

Attachments

• 6B4330F8-86C5-4E4A-9B17-AA4905757DE6.jpeg
    6B4330F8-86C5-4E4A-9B17-AA4905757DE6.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 65

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
iPhone 14 pro here, and I also have this problem. Just noticed it an hour ago when I got a text during a call. My ear still feels a little off now...that's how loud it is. I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet......won't be long before someone claims for damage to their hearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocco6 and Fred Zed

PatrickN007

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
The solution is simple and stupid, while you are on a call, just lower the volume with the button on the left and it will lower the notification volume, this volume is not the same as the phone's overall volume and one does not affect the other

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

reitsy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2022
The solution is simple and stupid, while you are on a call, just lower the volume with the button on the left and it will lower the notification volume, this volume is not the same as the phone's overall volume and one does not affect the other
That doesn't lower all notifications and affects other settings. I solved it a different way. I just use a different sound for texts which isn't as loud as the default one. I use Bamboo

pdacrazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Same issue on my 14 pro max. I went to Apple Genius Bar and they acknowledged that this is common problem so no need to change my headset as Apple has not confirmed it is a hardware issue.
they told me to wait for software update.
Bloody it is already 6 months since you launched this phone and one of the biggest phone company in the world has not able to figure out this software update yet.
shame on Apple!

Bogdan_CH

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
WHAT THE ACTUAL FU.... APPLE? Got my phone a couple of days ago and almost went death cause of beeps from Whattsapp ( my business require to get quite a few from groups) seeing this **** going on from launch here and STILL hasn't been fixed. Just tested this on my wife 13, there is a really any sound coming out. My 13 Pro was exactly the same, almost silent but this makes my phone unuseable and I'm afraid of not affecting my ear.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I have emailed my guy at Apple Support over 20 times - they clearly have no intention of getting back to me.

So frustrating. Should we all send a letter to Apple HQ? I just can't believe such a widespread problem is going ignored.

Bogdan_CH

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
I'm got in calls 3 times with their support. They said they will get back to me on Wednesday with a response from their technical support as they are aware of it ( no **** sherlock, it's been almost half a year) and they will inform when this will get fixed. If they give me a timeframe of over 30 days I'm asking for a full refund. Seriously shocking.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
If I remember, I toggle the mute switch when on a video call.

It's silly - I'm staring at the phone; I can see the notifications. I don't need loud pings and beeps as well.

I've tried to set up automations for this, but Apple doesn't allow any incoming calls to trigger notifications, and as I run FaceTime through shortcuts and widgets, they don't properly trigger them either.

Things like this (Shortcuts, Automation, AppleScript, Notifications, Siri ...) manage to do the basics but nothing advanced. It's becoming annoying; it's as if technological progress (in software) has ground to a halt 😁

DiverDan33>

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2023
I have the same problem...NO HEADPHONES....
When I am on a call and I have the phone at my ear, notifications are blasting my ear so loud my head spins....
Cant be good for my hearing.
Called apple several times....the call always ends the same....
"Ok Sir, yes, we will pass this on to our engineers....we will follow up with you next week."
No Follow up...No Fix........Apple quality has seriously deteriorated....i am a fanboy but i am pissed...

If I dont remember to put my phone switch on silent, then I get blasted in the ear sooo loud....

first noticed APPLE WTF???

There have been 3 updates since I reported this with 16.0 ..... WHY NO FIX?

REMEMBER - NO HEADPHONES
People keep posting about headphones.....
This has nothing to do with paired devices...

Stock phone no peripherals....

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL on getting this fixed.....I am ready to post my phone on Kijiji....

--sam
iPhone 2021 SE having SAME ISSUE
Seems to have started after 16.5.1 update

LeanneSmith82

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
I have emailed my guy at Apple Support over 20 times - they clearly have no intention of getting back to me.

So frustrating. Should we all send a letter to Apple HQ? I just can't believe such a widespread problem is going ignored.
I have just signed up to comment too, as I have just got this phone and it’s driving me crazy. My first iPhone too as moved from a Samsung so I’m really not happy. I take it there is nothing we can do to turn this off when on a call?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have just signed up to comment too, as I have just got this phone and it’s driving me crazy. My first iPhone too as moved from a Samsung so I’m really not happy. I take it there is nothing we can do to turn this off when on a call?
Only way seems to be to toggle the mute switch. But then you have to remember to toggle it back after the call.

Reactions: LeanneSmith82

Tom-H

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Same problem here with 14 pro max, it is so loud in my ear. I think I will have to change to another text sound, just a shame cause I used to have another sound but many times I found it was to low, then I changed to use the default Node sound as this one was easier to hear. But when on calls that sound is way to loud. Wish there was a way to auto lower text sounds when on calls, there really should be an option for that, or it should be standard, just like how it lowers the sound when you look at the phone when you receive a call or when an alarm goes off etc. then it auto lowers the sound because it knows you are at the phone when looking at it. The same should be done with the text sound during calls, it already knows when you are on a call so no need for this loud sound.

Last edited:

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I got the 15 PM on launch day (I have 3 of them.. don't ask).

NONE have this issue.
Some setup as new, one setup from an iCloud Restore.

It must be a hardware to software glitch/bug because it isn't present on the 15 PM.

zoiks66

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I had this issue on my iPhone 14 Pro. I still have the issue on my iPhone 15 Pro. It seems to be caused by a software bug that’s persistent across different iPhones. It’s very annoying.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I had this issue on my iPhone 14 Pro. I still have the issue on my iPhone 15 Pro. It seems to be caused by a software bug that’s persistent across different iPhones. It’s very annoying.
What if you use a different iCloud account?

I went through SO MANY PHONES that I don't know how it's randomly appearing on so many. There has to be an identifying link between them that makes them do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.