Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hi there

I got the new 14 Pro Max on launch day and noticed the text messages / anything that came in during a call was RIDICULOUSLY loud. Like full volume. Which when you're on a call is... pretty loud.

I've gone through the settings and tried to figure out a way to turn this down and can't seem to find a way. Googling just brings up using the mute switch.

I've completed restored the phone and started afresh, too. No backup.

I swear they weren't like this on my 13 Pro?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I haven't experienced the issue on my phone (not a 14), but if it's happening with headphones, I suppose trying the Reduce Loud Sounds under Sounds & Haptics > Headphone Safety is an option.

Reactions: max2

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
It's happening when the phone is placed normally against my ear. It's honestly deafening.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I swear my 13 Pro would just vibrate during a call?! Maybe I am going mad. I don't recall this deafening sound from before.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I swear my 13 Pro would just vibrate during a call?! Maybe I am going mad. I don't recall this deafening sound from before.
You're not going mad. I see lots of threads out there (reddit, etc) about this issue. Let Apple know via apple.com/feedback or by contacting support. The more people report issues, the more attention it will get.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I wonder if the proximity sensor has failed? I think that’s what it uses to determine if you have the phone up to your ear.

Reactions: astorre

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
You're not going mad. I see lots of threads out there (reddit, etc) about this issue. Let Apple know via apple.com/feedback or by contacting support. The more people report issues, the more attention it will get.
Thank you. :)

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The screen does switch off when I hold it up to my ear?
That’s interesting. I’m not sure if mine does this because I’m always using AirPods for a call. It just bugs me to have the phone against my ear for some reason. Once I got Bluetooth headphones, I’ll never go back.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
What is the behaviour of everyone else's iPhone when a notification comes through when on a call please?

It's just done it again and blown my brains out. Seriously hate it.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Ask Siri a question and adjust the volume with the buttons on the side when she's talking... That fixed it for me
Damn! I wish I had seen this before. I've been at the Apple Store for the last 2+ hours getting a Genius Bar replacement. The volume buttons have some type of gross glue on them... trying to clean it off and then hopefully be back to a working phone.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Damn! I wish I had seen this before. I've been at the Apple Store for the last 2+ hours getting a Genius Bar replacement. The volume buttons have some type of gross glue on them... trying to clean it off and then hopefully be back to a working phone.
Hope you bet everything sorted out so you can start enjoying your new phone!

Reactions: iamJoshRoth

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
This is so annoying. 2.5+ hours at one store. Needing to visit another store for a screen protector. And my perfect phone for one with glue all over the buttons... to end up with the same issue.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Were you able to get Sir's voice quieter?
Yup. I asked her to type a very long text and then adjusted with the volume buttons. This had zero effect on the notification sound level within calls. They are deafening. This is driving me insane. I feel like I am losing my mind.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
In settings/sounds and haptics do you have change with buttons enabled in the section for ringer and alerts?
Yes. I tried making a call and receiving a text with this options switched on and off.

It seems the loudness of the alert is directly linked to the loudness of the call itself, rather than the alert volume in settings. So if I lower the speaker volume during the call, it also lowers the alerts. But changing the slider setting in Sound and Haptics has no bearing on the alert volume during the call.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Yes. I tried making a call and receiving a text with this options switched on and off.

It seems the loudness of the alert is directly linked to the loudness of the call itself, rather than the alert volume in settings. So if I lower the speaker volume during the call, it also lowers the alerts. But changing the slider setting in Sound and Haptics has no bearing on the alert volume during the call.
That's strange.. Not sure how deep you want to go but you can try to restore the phone and setup as new with no backup then see if it still does it. If it doesn't maybe something is whacked with your backup. If it still does it you can just restore using your backup and everything will be back to where you started.. Otherwise hopefully when 16.1 is released it will straighten it out

Reactions: BrianBaughn

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
That's strange.. Not sure how deep you want to go but you can try to restore the phone and setup as new with no backup then see if it still does it. If it doesn't maybe something is whacked with your backup. If it still does it you can just restore using your backup and everything will be back to where you started.. Otherwise hopefully when 16.1 is released it will straighten it out
This is the weird thing... and where I now think I am insane.. I wiped phone number 1 twice, and when I got phone number 2 I did not transfer from a backup. The Genius confirmed the phone was making very loud notification noises during a call themselves. This is a 'brand new' phone with a 'brand new' install of iOS. What happens if you're on a call and you receive a text? Just out of curiosity...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
This is the weird thing... and where I now think I am insane.. I wiped phone number 1 twice, and when I got phone number 2 I did not transfer from a backup. The Genius confirmed the phone was making very loud notification noises during a call themselves. This is a 'brand new' phone with a 'brand new' install of iOS. What happens if you're on a call and you receive a text? Just out of curiosity...
It depends, if I'm wearing my AW, the watch vibrates (or a ding if I don't have it on silent). If I don't have the watch on I hear a notification sound thru the earpiece but it's not loud at all.

iamJoshRoth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
It depends, if I'm wearing my AW, the watch vibrates (or a ding if I don't have it on silent). If I don't have the watch on I hear a notification sound thru the earpiece but it's not loud at all.
Hmmm. This is VERY loud. It's the same as a normal ding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.