Notifications, will Apple steal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

OK, by now I think we all agree that iOS notifications need a major revision.

The question is how to implement it. There have been lots of suggestions and implementations, however after going through all of them, I have to say that nothing beats Android's notifications.

If I had to pick one defining, key feature of Android I'd say pull down status bar menu(Another being the Widgets). It's simply the best way to implement notifications.

The recent suggestion/mock up was notifications being implemented next to Spotlight search.

This is a terrible idea IMO, it does not cut out the "middleman" i.e. Homescreen.

You have to push the "Home" button, then you have to swipe a few page to access notifications... too slow, too much work.

Notifications are a "glancing" info, you want to quickly glance over them and decide what to do. They should be instantly accessible and available.

And that's why Android notifications are brilliant. The statusbar is visible in almost all applications that means notifications through a pull down menu are instantly accessible and can be quickly glanced over, it also cuts out the middleman Homescreen, you can just go from an app to app from the notifications menu.

Imagine this scenario: You're driving and using a GPS app, you get a text message, you come to a stop light, you quickly pull down the status bar menu while being still being in the GPS app without having to go to homescreen, quickly read the message and pull it up. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can tap on the message in the notification menu and directly switch to the Messaging app without having to go to the Homescreen.

There was also another suggestion to implementation of notifications and put them with the task switcher. Bad idea, you're going to wear out the Home button constantly having to check notifications by double tapping it. In fact I'd suggest implementing task switcher INTO the pull down notifications menu. Throw in SBSettings like toggles and music controls into it too and it's perfect!

So, the question is, will Apple admit that Android's implementation is the proper one and do the same, or will they still try to do their own thing? Which I highly doubt will be better?

Pride vs Customers... Apple decides.

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I remember a story from last year that said Apple had hired the guy that designed the notification UI for webOS. So maybe we'll see a "refined" version of that. Which could be brilliant.

3. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

But if your in a GPS app and you get a text message the whole message pops up in front of the GPS app and you can read it without leaving the GPS app. I am confused...if you wanted to reply you can hit reply and go straight to the message without going "all the way to the home screen". I don't think iOS notifications are terrible but yeah they could use some work but I don't see how in your example how android's notifications are any different.

If you double click the the home button you can also switch to the message app with out going all the way to the home screen. I don't know I just don't see where in your examples a new notification system would help. I had android for over a year and I like how any text you get it pops up so you can read it real quick and decide whether to go respond or save it for later.

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

WebOS notification system > Android notification system

And Apple hired the guy who made WebOS notification system

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

The message just popping up right now is why people are complaining, it's too intrusive, not to mention dangerous when driving, it requires you to take action to get that thing off the screen.

With Android notifications you get a message icon in the status bar as a reminder and when you come to a stop you pull it down to view it.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

none of these systems or ideas is original, no one has had an original idea in over a decade

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I like WebOS notifications too, it's pretty much the same idea, only a separate status bar is used and it's on the bottom.

The problem is that the real estate is already limited. They could use the botton status bar a notification popup that hides away after 5 seconds.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple already improved notifications with 4.3:rolleyes:

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed, can't wait to see iOS 5.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

...... A fine and 2 points on your license....

Texting while driving in NY and most states is a serious offense. Sitting at a stop light is driving!! Don't do it! :eek:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Apple will do what they usually do. Perfect it and simplify it where its easy and natural to use.

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Strange how when other companies emulate apple they are "stealing" and "copying" because they can't be original

.....but when apple emulates other they are "refining" and "perfecting".

Just one example of why many of you have no credibility when discussing any of these devices. No objectivity whatsoever.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You forgot innovating when apple steals ;)

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I'll go ahead and say it....I hate Android notifications. It clutters up your status bar and it's more work. If I get a text, I like seeing it on screen. I would prefer the WebOS version, where it's not a pop-over, but anything is better than android. With Android, I have to drag the bar down just to see it. Then if I want to actually get rid of the notification, I have to switch to the app and open the message. iOS you can hit close and it's done. iOS needs a better notification system but copying Android is not the way to do it. Copy WebOS instead. Or do something original that is better.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't care if they emulate or copy.
    If they get sued that's their problem. As long as they implement things easy and simple I'm happy.
    But why you bother posting in an apple forum just to talk trash about them? All your responses are the same, negativity over and over.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I totally disagree. Going from a droid phone back to the iPhone, I'm lost without the notifications.

I can't say how well webos does it, since I have no experience but what android had is soo much better then what iOS doesn't have.

17. patp Guest

I'd be happy with a blinking led. Just let me know when I have a new email or text. Notification bar? Don't need it. Jut need to know by looking at the blinking led.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

and if you are watching a video the video stops when a message pops up which is really really annoying.

19. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

A notification system(WebOS,Andriod) is better then no notification system (Apple).

WebOS has a very good system. I played with my buddy's Pre2. Very good. I hope the WebOS guy they hired throws the hammer down!

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

they're probably going to implement it into the "multi-tasking" bar.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You could hit Clear on the Android pulldown, but that wipes out ALL the notifications.

I agree about copying WebOS. I really liked that you could swipe a notification line sideways to delete it individually.

22. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Actually that's not entirely true. In Android on the task bar pulldown, you can tap "Clear" and the notification goes away. But I agree that copying Android is not the way to do it. Android's notifications are ok, but not the best in the world.

23. critic81 macrumors regular

Ummmmm how so?

24. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

25. patp Guest

Steve Jobs - "good artists borrow, great artists steal"
    :D