now a good time to buy a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moworks2, Feb 7, 2015.

1. moworks2 macrumors member

Looking at the 15" i7 with 500gb ssd and 16gb of ram. Intel Iris pro graphics, etc.

Use : mainly photoshop and lightroom for photo work. No video work. I'll also have CS3 Illustrator and Indesign loaded for some minimal poster and book design.

Now a good a time to buy as any? I'd like to buy this week.

I see the macrumors buyer's guide says 'caution'. What should i be cautious of? :cool:

2. chabig macrumors 68040

The MacRumors guide keeps track of how long it has been since the machine was last updated. Of course, there is no way to know when the next cycle will come. Intel has run behind on their next generation chips, so I don't think we will see new MacBook Pros for a while. If you want the machine now, I'd say go for it. If a new one comes out in six months and you're kicking yourself, you can probably sell this machine and buy the new one for a net cost of only a couple hundred dollars. On the other hand, if you wait, you won't have a MacBook for months...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its only a good time if you need a new computer now. Keyword is now.

If you can wait until the summer then your patience will be rewarded with a Broadwell based MBP. If your situation is such that you cannot defer the purchase get one now and enjoy it :)

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The guide looks at the average time between updates for a particular product line, and bases its recommendations on that. Their caution label suggests that relative to previous patterns, we are due for a refresh. It could still be several months away, and no one can really tell you more than that. Below each recommendation there are links to articles written on any rumor or update related to that product line.

5. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it, just buy one now, the model you are looking at is very powerful so it will be fine for what you want to do for a long time to come.

I have just bought the base 15" rMBP this week, i didn't need one now as my current 13" cMBP was fine, but i wanted one now so I bought one now. I could have waited 3-6 months to see what came out, but I didn't want to sit here for many months wanting a new laptop, So I just bought one now.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

7. austinpike macrumors 6502

Yes. Classic. I understand it to generally mean a non-Retina unibody with easily upgradable RAM+HD.

In my mind "classic" would be more appropriate for the pre-unibody 2006-2007 style, but maybe those would be pMBP. (as in pre-classic. or prehistoric.)

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Yaa

Thanks …
    … as in YAA :)

(This morning, after a good night's sleep, I can smile about them. Smiling despite, not because of, a few hours battling with OS X 10.10.2 …)

9. moworks2, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone

I've got a pmbp, prehistoric as from April 2008. Still going strong. Handing it down and it'll be used till it dies. My pMBP will be replacing a 15 year old ibook that still works. Ok, the screen has been kaput for a long while now. Used with an external monitor. Purring like kitten.

I'm gonna go tomorrow and buy the rMbp. It should do me good for years to come. I know there will be improvements, upgrades to them in the months to come, but I need to upgrade now.

thanks
    M

10. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

If you don't need a new machine immediately I would wait. There will be some upgrades in March.

11. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

12. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

13. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Anytime is a good time to buy a MBP, especially if you need it...

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I'd get a refurb if I were you. Also, consider one with the dGPU as it's practically free once you build up the RAM and SSD.

15. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

16. nirvanemesis macrumors member

OP was looking at the 15" which didn't get refreshed today.

17. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

YEah I admit I didn't see that one coming that there would be no upgrade on the 15". Kinda pisses me off cause I wanted an updated one.

18. vbedia macrumors regular

Apparently yesterday was much better time than todays. It appears there has been an increased price in some countries for the same laptop.

Depending where you live yesterday may have been a better time than today.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Here in germany the raised the prices by 10 to 20%. Wow!

20. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Not sure about other countries, but $200 increase in Australian and New Zealand currency for the base model 2.2 GHz rMBP 15 inch. The 13 inch models are also more expensive than the ones they replaced, so I guess they wanted to keep the same price differential.

Yesterday was indeed the best time.

21. marzfreerider macrumors member

$350 increase in Canada on both 15".